Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9600

CR Alarms

Hi guys I have a scantronic 9600 in my house, very old system I know but still works fine.I will be installing another bellbox for the back of my house (flashguard Xl). Ideally I would like this sounder on sab just like the front bell box which is also a flashguard xl for maximum volume. I am unsure how much current the bell and strobe output is for this panel? From the 9600 manual It says the maximum current that can be drawn from the system is 1250ma @20 degrees or 800@ 40 degrees ambient temperature. I have taken a current measurement for my alarm and it is 240ma in standby and 729ma in full alarm currently. 

So do you think it would be safe to install the second bellbox set to sab or will it likely trip the poly as soon as the panel triggers? Does anyone know from experience how much the bell/strobe polyfuse can tolerate on this system? My total current in alarm will soon be 1050ma if this new bell is set to sab, or 840ma if I set it scb. The flashguard in sab mode in full alarm and strobe draws 320ma in total, For scb mode it is 110ma. 

Any help would be appreciated on this thanks.

Edited by CR Alarms

Hi I will do my best to make it clearer as this is a very old system. Here is the specifications from the 9600 installation manual. Warning this might be long.

Power Supply

A.

The total current available from the control panel is as follows

System output current (Ambient temperature 20 degrees C) = 1250 mA

System output current (Ambient temperature 40 degrees C) = 800 mA 

B.

Alarm demand current

To calculate the required current in an alarm condition. add all the current consumption of all detectors, sounders, strobes, communicators and any other devices wired to the system. This will provide the total alarm demand current.

Subtract the alarm demand from the power supply output current. Any extra current requirement will be supplied by the battery in an alarm condition. Note that if the obattery is not capable of supplying the extra current it will be necessary to increase the size of the battery. The power supply will recharge a 6ah  battery within the time specified in the British Standards for Intruder alarms.

C

Outputs 

The programmable outputs 1 and 2 are rated at up to 1 amp surge output. However, it is recommended that the continuous current drawn from these outputs does not exceed 500ma. Note these 2 programmable outputs are switched positive outputs,positive applied or positive removed, they are not a true 0v potential.

So there you have it this is a clear as I can make it. There is no mention of what the bell and strobe are rated at. My standby current currently is 240mA and the full alarm current is 729mA. The battery in the panel is 7ah it is the biggest that will fit in the case. Flashguard bellbox in sab mode is 320mA total and in scb mode it is 110mA. When I fit this additional bellbox the total current for the system in full alarm will be 1049mA if the new bell is to sab, or 839mA total on scb.

What I would like to know is will the bell/strobe output take this current or will it likely trip the poly when it alarms?. 

Thanks

Yes, it would be 8 for pre-EN. However, I was making the point that you can't just load a panel up to the maximum the PSU will take or the maximum from the manual then expect everything to be fine.

There could be a 1.2Ah battery in there for all we know...

The bell trig shouldn't have much extra load so you shouldn't overload the TRIG output.

I wouldn't have two SAB's on any panel without additional PSU TBH.

I told you the battery in the panel is a 7ah, you obviously didn't read my post properly, I gave you the whole spec for this panel. Never mind I will just run the second bell as an SCB just to keep the load to a minimum, 840mA sounds more reasonable. I would imagine the 40C 800mA ambient temparature part is redundant seeing as I do not live in spain and as panel is not mounted in the airing cupboard. One more come to think of it, is sab worth the extra fuss over an additional power supply? is scb still loud enough to scare someone off?.

cheers

1 hour ago, CR Alarms said:

I told you the battery in the panel is a 7ah, you obviously didn't read my post properly, I gave you the whole spec for this panel. 

12176421.jpg.71f14070d2ff342e4e471ecc39dcb142.jpg

Obviously an avid reader.. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Lol very funny, but can we get serious now please, I appreciate that you shouldn't load a panel up to its max rating and expect it to work fine. But this panel is rated to 1250mA the maximum current I will draw from it will be 1049mA in an alarm condition(if new souder is set to sab) so I would not be overloading the panel and I would have  201mA left to spare on the system, I appreciate that you shouldn't overload the bell output either that is why I would like to know it rating, I would of thought as you guys had experience of these systems you may know? In reality would this system cope with 1049mA in an alarm condition?. Could there be another way to drive this bell in sab? Perhaps draw its power from the aux supply outputs and use a small relay triggered by bell trigger so it will not load its output?. I would really like to avoid an additional power supply. Thanks

Edited by CR Alarms

16 hours ago, CR Alarms said:

I told you the battery in the panel is a 7ah, you obviously didn't read my post properly

I did read your later post correctly. I was explaining the reasoning behind my initial post.

Maybe re-read what I have posted as clearly the point of calculating standby time has gone unnoticed.

I gave you the whole spec for this panel. Never mind I will just run the second bell as an SCB just to keep the load to a minimum, 840mA sounds more reasonable.

There is no "spec" for the panel, merely some information copied from an old manual that is irrelevant to the point I was making above.

Either way running the second bell as SCB would be the correct choice IMO.

I would imagine the 40C 800mA ambient temparature part is redundant seeing as I do not live in spain and as panel is not mounted in the airing cupboard.

You would have to measure the temperature of the cab with it shut to be certain. Can't imagine anything much above 30C even with poor air flow.

One more come to think of it, is sab worth the extra fuss over an additional power supply?

Probably not.

is scb still loud enough to scare someone off?.

Probably yes.

3 hours ago, CR Alarms said:

but can we get serious now please

I am

I appreciate that you shouldn't load a panel up to its max rating and expect it to work fine. But this panel is rated to 1250mA the maximum current I will draw from it will be 1049mA in an alarm condition(if new souder is set to sab) so I would not be overloading the panel and I would have  201mA left to spare on the system,

You shouldn't be loading it anywhere near maximum rating, as above.

appreciate that you shouldn't overload the bell output either that is why I would like to know it rating,

I have already said, significant extra current will not be drawn from the bell trig for the extra sounder.

I would of thought as you guys had experience of these systems you may know?

Plenty of experience with them, from the jokes above you can see most would have it heading for the skip.

In reality would this system cope with 1049mA in an alarm condition?.

Maybe, I wouldn't try. There pretty bombproof from experience.

Could there be another way to drive this bell in sab?

An additional PSU like explained

Perhaps draw its power from the aux supply outputs and use a small relay triggered by bell trigger so it will not load its output?

Eh? How does that change the system output current. You can draw approx 1A from the panel, that would be the total of all the powered devices on the system.

Thanks

Anytime

tl;dr - I would suggest you stick the bell up in SCB, make sure you connect your tampers between the bells correctly and move on to the next job.

• Upvote 2

Thank you, I am sorry if I offended you that was not my intention. I will run the second bellbox as an scb just to avoid any risks. I would imagine one slightly quieter sounder is much better than no alarm due to a tripped poly. In which case the total load in alarm will now be 840mA, does that sound more reasonable to you? thanks

6 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

If your an alarm co. you must be pulling out better controls out than your 9600?

If your not check out my ebay a/c....

lol yeah,no thanks but thanks anyway. The scantronic 9600 is just for my house only, it was already there when we moved in, I defaulted it and kept it maintained it all these years.I am a scantronic fan myself and usually fit 9651's and 9751's with risco pirs and either a flashguard xl or the novagard 2 for the bellbox.

I wonder how old the scantronic 9600/9800 will be now? out of curiousity.