Security Installer Community

CQR C-Type cover

Gabs

Has anyone recently removed a CQR style bell box, or just the cover? I was just curious, because I have a CQR box with 4 vents either side of the box, however, it is the polypropylene version that turns grey, flaky and is bulging at the sides. Looks a bit like this: https://burglaralarmbritain.wordpress.com/2016/02/27/intruder-alarm-wells-2015/ If anyone has a cover which is still in good shape and doesn't mind parting with it, could you send me it? I'd pay for postage... of course. I have the back plate, just not a nice cover. It could be any colour, I don't mind, and after all, beggers cannot be choosers! :D Preferably one of the polycarbonate ones, like ths: https://burglaralarmbritain.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/fairfield-security-systems-cardiff-2012-2/

Thanks in advance 

You'd be surprised how frequently people sell off old 80s and 90s DIY alarm kits on ebay, where the alarm is Hong Kong tat but the bellbox is a local UK item, often an H box.

i.e. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burglar-Alarm-Kit-/322376893571?hash=item4b0f290483:g:ECsAAOSwj85YQc4V

But thats collection only

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

MrHappy I guess so, thanks for the replies. I was just curious, since I quite like them. Has anyone taken one down recently? I have just got a brand new Castle Care Tech SAB module, and Lynteck siren with the hopes of being able to build one, like was done back in the 80s/90s. datadiffusion Those little Micromark kits are funny, but they aren't full sized, the boxes are surprisingly small

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

unless its been under cover or better still inside its gonna be f'ked,

they not made 'em for 17 yrs or more, we last bought the horizontal type in 1994 ish

The likes of Advantage were still pumping them out until late 90s as kits, but like Mr H says even the guys that installed my parents 9800 in 1991 used an Elmdene Prima

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

15 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

The likes of Advantage were still pumping them out until late 90s as kits, but like Mr H says even the guys that installed my parents 9800 in 1991 used an Elmdene Prima

I see. Well, I guess I'll just have to use the bulging, grey cover that I have now. Just thought I could give it a new lease of life. How much roughly did a CQR bell box housing cost? Could you get them pre-built too? Or were they all in separate bits?  I like the Prima, nice bell box. 

I recall building then up from-

ADE, Elmdene or Aritech Bell modules

Kinetic Siren

Kinetic Strobe

Sometime with

Dragon? Anti foam modules

or CQR Foam pendent

The 1st complete box I recall is CQR interga, 1st one we used was a CQR Cequra 

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I used to build ss ones and cqr tombstones

both with viper v-foam, castle sab modules, horns I assume kenetic, hilclaire combined strobe and led. Finished with a bit of RS pluggable connector block so the lid could be removed.

I was 13 lol, the hard bit so you didn't get a bollocking was no bubbles or fingerprints on the stickers 

the rest was piss easy.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

first box we used was the flashguard 11 then I built them. then after that would be the armourflash, then ventcoft

this is starting to sound like

'back in the day children I used to know something about alarms'

I see a police investigation..

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 hour ago, Gabs said:

I see. Well, I guess I'll just have to use the bulging, grey cover that I have now. Just thought I could give it a new lease of life. How much roughly did a CQR bell box housing cost? Could you get them pre-built too? Or were they all in separate bits?  I like the Prima, nice bell box. 

They were still listed in a 1998 Gardiner catalogue - the last time I saw then IIRC. About £4 for a polycarb lid (only) AFAIK.

I think by then polyprop wasn't being made anymore, although crappy home catalogues like my gran used to get spammed

featured these styles of dummy boxes well into the mid 2000s. They probably bought all the remaining stock...