Security Installer Community

CQR C-Type cover

Gabs

20 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Not even steal, or at least, just to break it open and see what's inside I guess.

Must have been boring as hell when they saw it was a big brick room with a single light, socket, alarm and big sealed grey humming box...

I bet, not worth risking their lives for. The substations here all have split and cracked CQR boxes, or Sonades. I think the cracked up old bell boxes are being replaced with the newer version of the Sonade, the Reson8

5 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Looking for new victims... 

New victims? :) 

24 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

Bristol Water sites appear to favour the Reson8. Classy. Although no-one is ever going to hear them in the middle of sodding nowhere and the systems are almost certainly monitored.

I was honestly surprised when I walked past a Reson8 sounding, the ba***rd was so loud, I had to cross the road, and cover my ears! Much louder than 115 dB, I am sure. If ADE put them in a nicer casing, and covered the electronics, it would be a good bell box. 

21 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I could do with p/t engineering staff, I don't have the time to spend 5 days a week with a novice,

So was toying with someone in p/t study

Sounds good :) Part time? I finish school in June, anyway. 

17 minutes ago, andy™ said:

there is a lot more than just a grey humming box. usually lots of exposed live busbars on the side of it that you dont want to be touching

Well, if you ignore the DANGER OF DEATH     KEEP OUT signs, you get what's coming to you. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, andy™ said:

there is a lot more than just a grey humming box. usually lots of exposed live busbars on the side of it that you dont want to be touching

It was a while ago but I'm pretty sure everything was totally enclosed - didn't venture past the door. I don't know much about distribution (although am a qualified spark) but we are only talking a 4" square room here.

No doubt it was only fully enclosed being it dated from the 30s and nowadays it would be either totally exposed like the newer kit around the area or in a plastic shed.

33 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

So was toying with someone in p/t study

ME ME PLEASE CHOOSE ME!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

14 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

It was a while ago but I'm pretty sure everything was totally enclosed - didn't venture past the door. I don't know much about distribution (although am a qualified spark) but we are only talking a 4" square room here.

No doubt it was only fully enclosed being it dated from the 30s and nowadays it would be either totally exposed like the newer kit around the area or in a plastic shed.

ME ME PLEASE CHOOSE ME!

Around here, we have brick built substations, but they have plastic roofs, look strange, and a smelly old yellow Sonade with rusty bolts. I think the LEDs still flash in them, well, most of them anyway. 

I'd love to be an engineer, sounds like a good job, with no day the same. 

21 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

depends on the age i guess. newer ones are probably more enclosed, older stuff is fairly open. rarely ever get to see the inside of them, but this was from a recent trip inside one. plenty bits you dont want to touch

P1150825%20-%20Copy_zpshs6bst9g.jpg

and then there are private, fully enclosed ones like this. 11kv transformer is on the other side of the wall with 230/400v tails going straight into this

P3166725_zpssuoztg8t.jpg

Edited by andy™

Ah well it could have well looked like that round the back I guess then, didn't actually go in!

I remember one year they had loads of drums of oil outside, I had no idea it actually degraded and wasn't 'sealed for life'

http://www.electricenergyonline.com/show_article.php?article=172

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands