Security Installer Community

CQR C-Type cover

Gabs

Not very good, especially if it has a thatched roof! I think the Sonade had potential, if they just hid the circuitry inside of a plastic box, inside the bell box. What's worse is they haven't learned from their mistakes, as the Reson8 is just like the Sonade inside, nothing protecting the circuitry, but a conformal coating on the board. Do you have any clue where I could get an SAB bell module? 

4 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Don't think it was ADE but a co's sent a mail shot to every house in the UK (1995ish) as there sounder(s) had started fires

2 minutes ago, norman said:

No, it was Lyntec (sp)

Image result for lynteck alarm box fire risk

I always thought they were good bell boxes. They are very load, and have a good quality Ni-Cad battery on board, as I hear every time there is a power cut, it can easily go for 45 minutes, none stop! 

9 hours ago, norman said:

No, they were ****.

8 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Didn't we have someone on here the other day with a drowned Reson8?

Wow, there is me thinking they were good for some reason. I thought that they were, because they cost twice the price of a Reson8 bell box. For £10 less than this bell box, you could have a Ventcroft Compact Classic, much better value, and smaller. As professionals, what bell boxes do you like the most, and install? I think for me it is the Novagard, with its comfort LEDs brighter than the strobe. 

2 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Elmdene Quartz (plebs)

Elmdene Rapier (rich poshos)

I see. I quite like the Rapier, good looking bell box, I'd have one on my home, however, I'm not a rich posho :D I would actually find it fun to build one, using dummy housings, and my DIY SAB bell modules, that would be a fun thing to do. Elmdene make the best bell boxes, I'm guessing.. :) 

2 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Building a bell box is 10mins work (if your slow)

Rather than make anything I'd rather pay someone else to do it...

I guess it is better to have it done, but I just like the idea of knowing what you are doing could potentially save your house, and possessions. I may get one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alarm-Bell-Boxes-Sounders-Yellow-/252434247026?hash=item3ac640ed72:g:8yoAAMXQxU9SCiA2 Do they look authentic 80s/90s boxes? 

Edited by Gabs
Spelling Error

2 hours ago, Gabs said:

Elmdene make the best bell boxes, I'm guessing.. :) 

I'd say they are pretty good - it's all much of a muchness now with the biggest driver away from 'other peoples bells on someone elses controls' being wireless boxes that are tied into the system manufacturer. Risco are an example of a manufacturer whos boxes are often still used by those that wouldn't touch their actual alarm kit in years, but these days you still have Pyronix, Texecom, Eaton have just launched a unified Wired and Wireless design exclusive to them, after re-selling the Quartz for years as their wired bell, an in house item for wireless). Even Orisec seem to be doing their own bell. Honeywell are still knocking them out but don't offer any kind of colour range nor screenprinting, they really are targeted for DIY / sparky special / builders jobs.

I use the Quartz as it's well made, has been recently updated for LED strobe and other improvements, and even though it was never very popular absolutely no-one else round here uses them any more; certainly in the South West (OCS, Ambit and another facilities co. whose name I forget were the biggest, both have moved on)

As far as I know, ADT are the last ones with their own genuinely exclusive bellbox, and even they don't seem to use it on every job any more.

Chubb now use the Initial bell, which AFAIK isn't really an exclusive as such, it's just that Aritech won't sell it to anyone else in the UK (but it's widely available elsewhere). A bit like the last ever Chubb triangle box was available in plain red elsewhere in the EU, other than the UK.

All the rest - even the mightly Abel, have drifted to Pyronix lightboxes.

It's a bland world out there :(

• Upvote 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

43 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

I'd say they are pretty good - it's all much of a muchness now with the biggest driver away from 'other peoples bells on someone elses controls' being wireless boxes that are tied into the system manufacturer. Risco are an example of a manufacturer whos boxes are often still used by those that wouldn't touch their actual alarm kit in years, but these days you still have Pyronix, Texecom, Eaton have just launched a unified Wired and Wireless design exclusive to them, after re-selling the Quartz for years as their wired bell, an in house item for wireless). Even Orisec seem to be doing their own bell. Honeywell are still knocking them out but don't offer any kind of colour range nor screenprinting, they really are targeted for DIY / sparky special / builders jobs.

I use the Quartz as it's well made, has been recently updated for LED strobe and other improvements, and even though it was never very popular absolutely no-one else round here uses them any more; certainly in the South West (OCS, Ambit and another facilities co. whose name I forget were the biggest, both have moved on)

As far as I know, ADT are the last ones with their own genuinely exclusive bellbox, and even they don't seem to use it on every job any more.

Chubb now use the Initial bell, which AFAIK isn't really an exclusive as such, it's just that Aritech won't sell it to anyone else in the UK (but it's widely available elsewhere). A bit like the last ever Chubb triangle box was available in plain red elsewhere in the EU, other than the UK.

All the rest - even the mightly Abel, have drifted to Pyronix lightboxes.

It's a bland world out there :(

I see. Just the compatibility of alarms. It is good in a way that they are all standard and that they all work together.  I personally find that wireless alarms are unreliable, and just get forgotten about, so they no longer work, especially the bell boxes. The solar powered ones aren't ideal either, since they never actually get placed in the sun, and people don't change the SLA batteries in them, either. 

That is a good choice, a local company, AWM here use the Quartz, with an orange strobe. It is good to have a bell box from the 'standard' ones you see installed, like the horrible AG6 and Kinetic AZ-TEC

boxes. 

I see. It must be very exclusive to have a bell made for your company, like ADT do. If I ever had a company, I would want my own bell, something that no one else has, just so it stands out from the crowd. 

I like those Aritech boxes. I wonder why they aren't sold to anyone else in the UK, I'd quite like one, just for the sake of having one. I hope Chubb still install those blue triangles, they look really good, especially the newer ones. 

That is a real shame, why did they change, do you know? They looked so nice, lit up blue and red with a shiny chrome body! 

It indeed is a very bland world, shame really, even making your own bell box, you could add a personal touch to the thing, something which can't be done now. 

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

Chubb now use the Initial bell,

Chubb appear to be back on blue triangle made by elmdene,

Banham + their other brands, thier back box & plastics with pyronix electronic ?

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

Adt with there shiny square wireless visonic box

I quite the blue adt logo without the yellow 

I like the odd looking white secom box with green and red led I think 

Edited by al-yeti

14 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

Chubb appear to be back on blue triangle made by elmdene,

Banham + their other brands, thier back box & plastics with pyronix electronic ?

Ah right, wise decision, I actually saw a blue triangle (totally inappropriate which is why I noticed) go up on a listed cottage in the posh valleys between WsM and Bath - it looked brand new, I assumed it was an ebay special. Perhaps not then...

I forgot about Banham, I don't know why but I assumed they'd been bought out as the last time I was in London I saw their old office, still engraved 'Banham House', was very recently turned into some hipster playground / flats. I guess they just moved...

http://www.banham.co.uk/burglar-alarms/

26 minutes ago, Gabs said:

That is a real shame, why did they change, do you know?

The usual of course, money!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, datadiffusion said:

Ah right, wise decision, I actually saw a blue triangle (totally inappropriate which is why I noticed) go up on a listed cottage in the posh valleys between WsM and Bath - it looked brand new, I assumed it was an ebay special. Perhaps not then...

I forgot about Banham, I don't know why but I assumed they'd been bought out as the last time I was in London I saw their old office, still engraved 'Banham House', was very recently turned into some hipster playground / flats. I guess they just moved...

http://www.banham.co.uk/burglar-alarms/

The usual of course, money!

I like those Chubb boxes. We've just had a dip in the power, and every alarm on my street, but the one of my house has gone off. Most are the older CQR style with a siren in them, all making the same sound, They all desperately need batteries in them! 

I like those Banham boxes, especially the black ones, with the golden logo on, very good looking. I think they are actually Ventcroft, though. 

What a shame. I guess sit is better changing your bell box than going bust. 

5 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

-

s-l1600.jpg

And so I stand corrected! :huh: strange that. Were they always made by Pyronix? I could swear I saw one on eBay, which had Ventcroft guts in it, with the piezo cover saying 'VENTCROFT' either way, it's a bell box and it does a job. Were the Castle Care Tech ones made by Ventcroft? The insides of them also look very similar to Ventcroft. 

24 minutes ago, Gabs said:

And so I stand corrected! :huh: strange that. Were they always made by Pyronix? I could swear I saw one on eBay, which had Ventcroft guts in it, with the piezo cover saying 'VENTCROFT' either way, it's a bell box and it does a job. Were the Castle Care Tech ones made by Ventcroft? The insides of them also look very similar to Ventcroft. 

the last castle box was a euro siren-

phot-bell.jpg

the plastic covered bell module looks "gardtec" to me ?

Mr? Veritas God

16 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

the last castle box was a euro siren-

phot-bell.jpg

the plastic covered bell module looks "gardtec" to me ?

9 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

hang on we've done this before-

banham.jpg

older banham sounder with gartec module...

Both of those bell modules are definitely Ventcroft, look identical 

8946031.jpg

8 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

could you find me a smaller pic to compare....

LOL! It was the only one on Google, sorry. Mine is all the way under my bed too, so it wouldn't be worth me getting it out. They all look like the Ventcroft ones, In My Opinion. Either way, they're all good, Ventcroft products are excellent.   

10 minutes ago, Gabs said:

LOL! It was the only one on Google, sorry. Mine is all the way under my bed too, so it wouldn't be worth me getting it out.    

Next to the pile of Security Installer mags and crusty sock? 

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

23 minutes ago, norman said:

Next to the pile of Security Installer mags and crusty sock? 

Yep, probably, and a few other bits and bobs, mainly alarm panel circuit boards, got an ADE Ultimate board under there, some were. I'd love some old security magazines from the 90s, showing off all of the alarm equipment. 

19 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

The litlle red ni cad battery cover was a ventcroft thing.... however the pcb in a little clear box was done by Gardtec from the early 90's

You learn something new every day :) So, that little board, and the awful sound it can produce is actually Gardtec? One thing I don't like about Ventcrofts is the fact that they only have a screw tamper, no back tamper.