Security Installer Community

Strange access control project !

emsgeorge

Gurus of access control, lend me your ears.

strange but interesting application needed for an access control system : a scout camp. 

They want to be able to check everyone in and out, knowing who is 'on site' - this is a one off, for a week. Their usual stance is to have identity cards printed by a normal id printer.

the ethos of doing it on the cheap has been mentioned, but I would prefer to build them a system that will last. Now, I'm the cctv man, not access control, and therefore a couple of questions :

The system simply needs to keep a count of who, and how many, people are on site. My thoughts are with a 'in' and an 'out' reader each scout waves their card against, connected to a set of traffic style lights, rather than a mag lock. The event staff are there at the gates to make sure people don't bypass the card readers. 

I was was looking at paxton kit, as it's decent and reliable. 

It will need to be able to be linked to a laptop so when they ask what time 'little johhny' left, we can tell them. 

card wise, their cards have to last no more than a week. Therefore, are all these cheaper 125khz cards I see on the likes of eBay, will they work with paxton kit ?. The cost is directly bourne by the organisers so the more cost effective the better. 

Does This sound ok ?. Is there a better or easier set of software out there than the paxton stuff ?. And will the cards work with paxton kit (I see a lot of their much more expensive cards out there which leads me to think they may not !!) 

ta all ! 

Good luck keeping an accurate count of in/out without a turnstile or airlock

45 minutes ago, emsgeorge said:

Therefore, are all these cheaper 125khz cards I see on the likes of eBay, will they work with paxton kit ?

No, but if you purchase via 'Advanced Access' you'll get Paxton kit and a 125khz reader for a fraction of the Paxton price of a universal reader

45 minutes ago, emsgeorge said:

Does This sound ok ?.

To be fair it sounds like a walking away job, from the PoV they won't want ton pay what it will cost

Edited by datadiffusion
  • Upvote 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Initial thoughts reading this was Paxton but you could be opening a can of worms. What if little Johnny reads in but doesn't read out and legs it? ..... 

Think you're going to need some asprin :) 

Initial thoughts reading this was Paxton but you could be opening a can of worms. What if little Johnny reads in but doesn't read out and legs it? ..... 

Think you're going to need some asprin :) 

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Ha guys, some of my thoughts exactly !!!

they lost a couple last time, hence the need for this to go 'technical' to avoid loosing kids !

the plan is to have some sort of lane with staff there to ensure they swipe in and out, like a festival. 

Ta for the stuff so far !!

Buy a cased Paxton demo kit, buy two 'Advanced' format readers from Advanced (these are rebadged Paxton Universals at 1/5 the Paxton price) and yes they'll have to set up booths inc. any access and egress by minibus... nightmare.

At least with a boxed kit it can be stored until next year, and the readers have RJ45s on already...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I think access control on a scout camp is asking for headaches and trouble.

I would look at something more suited to controlling large mobs of people like festival tags for example.

It would be fine if there was a genuine in only and out only ped lane, fully supervised by leaders to make sure kids fob in and out, and if the entry to the site was after the car park etc...

On that basis you'd just be using the software for roll call, rather than worrying about actual physical barriers.