Security Installer Community

Has HD-SDI Production Stopped All Together

It has gone out of favour in the CCTV industry. Most distributors are switching from SDI to CVI or AHD models.

It's a shame it's a good transmission method and used widely in the film industry with current standards supporting upto UHD resolutions.

With limited DVR compatibility, higher price and low transmission distance it would seem costs have driven the market to more lossy formats.

The future is IP. If the price is right I can see PoE EoC becoming popular for those jobs that require it.

On 21/01/2017 at 7:16 PM, sixwheeledbeast said:

It has gone out of favour in the CCTV industry. Most distributors are switching from SDI to CVI or AHD models.

It's a shame it's a good transmission method and used widely in the film industry with current standards supporting upto UHD resolutions.

With limited DVR compatibility, higher price and low transmission distance it would seem costs have driven the market to more lossy formats.

The future is IP. If the price is right I can see PoE EoC becoming popular for those jobs that require it.

I have installed IP but in when a customer wants installation over coax I am leaning towards HD-CVI now. I use two distributors in the UK and there are not so many limitations with it. Do you think HD-CVI will be phased out in favor of IP?

I have to believe there is a future for coax based CCTV because anyone upgrading to HD now can generally use their existing coax cable network (subject to not been a poor grade of cable). This obviously saves on time, cable costs and install costs which is a win win for customers and helps keep the quotes down.