Security Installer Community

COULD THIS ALARM CONDITION BE A SPIDER?

Chris A

Hi

The system is based around a Scantronic PD9651 with four Honeywell IS312 PIRs with fsl wiring. It was installed around four months ago and has been operating properly until now.

Last night a false alarm condition occurred after the system had been fully set for about a week. The relevant part of the log reads:

22.07.06 Burg Z04 Alarm

22.07.09 Burg Z04 Restore

22.10.23 Burg Z04 Alarm

22.10.26 Burg Z04 Restore

22.25.24 Z04 Lock Out

22.25.24 System Rearmed

I have checked the connections inside the PIR and all appear to be good and tight and the resistor legs appear to be sound and not crossed. Nonetheless, I have given the screws an extra tweak.

Very close to the PIR I did, however, find quite a large spider. Could it have been the cause of this particular false alarm? If not, as usual, any suggestions/comments would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Thanks for all the interest/feedback so far.

I had heard that spiders could cause issues but jut wasn't sure if they could cause the alarm/restore/alarm/restore pattern shown in the log.

2 hours ago, Nova-Security said:

Didn't know such stuff existed! Will get hold of some asap - prevention won't do any harm.

That's interesting. We have had a 2nd (and only ever with the e-Line DT) FA the other day, there was a large web over, I dismissed this as a cause

being it was a Conservatory (which I assumed was the major factor, although, it happened at 3am, hardly primetime for temp changes...)

Looking back I should have given it a blast of Spiderex... FA's are so rare since I switched to Siemens (many years ago, started with the IR120) I've almost forgotten what to do!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

1 hour ago, dufjax said:

I remember we used to use a spider replant in a trigger spray bottle which smelt of Cloves, I'm sure one of the wholesalers stocked it.

Not sure if it actually worked?

Bottles of the clove spray are also available from Lakeland - right beside the cans of SpiderEx. They cost a lot less but SpiderEx seemed to be the way to go judging by the comments here!

Many thanks to all who have contributed. I had not realised that spiders could be such a problem. Nonetheless, if a squirt of SpiderEx avoids this issue from returning, then I am happy!

10 hours ago, MrHappy said:

had a good sized spider & lots of midges living in e-line's

Aye thats the only thing about e-line, 100x the processing power but back to standard optics... :( 

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands