Security Installer Community

Dahua in commercial world

Is Dahua suitable for big IP installations and does anyone have any experience using there 256CH NVR? Seems they are low end of the market in some peoples eyes but they have the scope to do the big installs too....? Never used them for big installs but there low end kit seems good.

If not - what are the leading brands for a decent size IP installation?

cheers

We are about to use dahua for all our IP stuff now.

We did use genie, but it's too limited for what we need and we have had quite a few faulty cameras..... Currently have a 64 channel on the bench and  impressed, twin LAN, twin hdmi etc. Also like the cms software. Jut need to try it monitored but I'm sure it will be fine 

5 minutes ago, 9651 said:

We are about to use dahua for all our IP stuff now.

We did use genie, but it's too limited for what we need and we have had quite a few faulty cameras..... Currently have a 64 channel on the bench and  impressed, twin LAN, twin hdmi etc. Also like the cms software. Jut need to try it monitored but I'm sure it will be fine 

Good to hear ... I like there CMS too, looks professional yet easy enough to use. 

I don't like genie ... Not got a main reason I just do - nothing I can put my finger on but dislike it as a brand.

Genie is OK but personally don't like the user interface, bit quirky and looks old fashioned/cheap. Also the same with the cms 

picture quality of the IP stuff is fine mind, juts seemed to get lots of failures on the gunmetal domes for some reason 

48 minutes ago, ElecTech said:

Is Dahua suitable for big IP installations and does anyone have any experience using there 256CH NVR? Seems they are low end of the market in some peoples eyes but they have the scope to do the big installs too....? Never used them for big installs but there low end kit seems good.

If not - what are the leading brands for a decent size IP installation?

cheers

I would be very wary of putting 256 cameras on one NVR what is the throughput on one of these. We keep on coming up against people who recommend putting 50+ 3 & 4mp cameras on 64ch NVRS which have 150mb total throughput which just does not work.

For our larger systems we use Avigilon and build our own servers never has any issues. 

I would be looking as spanning the system across multiple switches, servers and some form of fallback redundancy. So a single Switch / Server fault does not take you whole system down.

Another vote for Milestone + Dell Server

We've recently created a Cisco blade "security" server with router/firewall, VMWare with servers for Milestone CCTV, Paxton Net2 for access. Nice one "box" solution

19 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

alpat whats your thoughts om virtualbox?

We did briefly look at oracle VB, but the lack of support was an issue. Obviously cost wise VB wins hands down. 

VB is great for desktop virtualisation, VMWare for enterprise solutions

VMWare also does quite a lot more, and is considerably quicker

From what I remember the main issue for us with VB was controlling hardware ports through each virtualised server 

VMWare management using VSphere (desktop client) is simple.

On each Virtual server you can set max/min CPU, memory, LAN usage. So for CCTV we priorities LAN bandwidth, but not processor and memory.

Its so easy to monitor everything through one client.

Typical VMWare setup:

• ESX server host
  • Virtual Centre Server
  • Virtual Infrastructure (VI) client
  • Web Browser
  • License Server
  • Database

Edited by Alpat Systems

i would agree that vSphere is better it does seem expensive just for a cctv vs.

Id also agree that it allows much better resource management

But i use vbox for all my vm's and last time i used VMware stuff was back at v2

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

19 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

there is more than the server there tho?

Its a 3U Cisco blade:

Router/Firewall

Server

Switch

But in order to run all that:

WAN Link (bonded ADSL)

IMAG0992.jpg

Internals of cabinet

IMAG0996.jpg

BT Router top

Backup router, should the one in the Cisco blade fail

IMAG0997.jpg

IMAG1012.jpg

IMAG0980.jpg

That is impressive!

A company I worked for used Indigo Vision recording on Dell's setup as NVR's for all high end sites.

it's good, but has it's issues with with ONVIF cameras.

Dahua will be fine, why is it marked so low?

The only time you can get away with high end/priced systems is local authorities and large institutions.

Dahua would happily run on your small / medium or even large site. Distributers like COP will give you advanced replacement too! 

It can't be all bad if they stocking thousands of £'s worth of gear and supprting a business focusing on one brand.

Yes it's chinky (a lot of brands are!) but i'd class it top end of the spectrum.

Edited by Night Owl
Spell boy, spell!

Dahua is the second biggest CCTV supplier in China, next to Hikvision. If you go to ISC West, you would know China is dominating the CCTV market. If you are still buying in UK, I would recommend you to try Hikvision, Dahua and Uniview.