Security Installer Community

Fibre Broadband Filter

I've seen BT do all sorts, isn't engineer installation over now as they've proven 'acceptable' performance on self install plug in filters?

When we got upgraded here at the new house, we had to wait for the guy to do the gubbins outdoors at the cabinet, but no appointment in the house. We were send a HH5 with plug in filters... Of course I've fitted a mk 3 faceplate, but if I hadn't we would have had infinity on a 1980s linebox and plug ins... suspect they just wing it now, hoping that only 1 in 4 will have to call in an engineer to the house itself...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

We were send a HH5 with plug in filters...

Maybe an admin **** up?

HH5 can do ADSL and VDSL automatically

You maybe right, I suppose for most people they will see an improved in speed without coming to site.

I can't say I have seen Infinity without a MK3 etc round here.

Yes, a faceplate change is a million times better for you and the customer, EXCEPT when they have the hub or similar upstairs on an extension....

Although if they have 6 core running up there already I've never, ever had an issue with making the green pair, for example, DSL only from the unfiltered block on the plate.

I then change the affected socket for a double euro with one BT on the blue/orange pair and one RJ11 for the modem only on the green etc...

To be honest not had to do it for ages though with WW and 3G type comms.

Maybe an admin **** up?

HH5 can do ADSL and VDSL automatically

You maybe right, I suppose for most people they will see an improved in speed without coming to site.

I can't say I have seen Infinity without a MK3 etc round here.

Yes, I think it's intentional.

As you say most will just see an increase and be happy, even if it could be even better, they'll never know.

In dire cases they'll phone BT but if it saves 3 out of 4 home visits they're laughing.

Here we go, it's official, Infinity self install, even mentions 'if you DO already have a 'double socket', 'otherwise use plug in filters...'

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47225/~/help-with-setting-up-bt-infinity-yourself

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

The reasoning behind the Mk3 is to remove the interference from the ringer circuit that happens after the master socket.

May find that other FTTC providers have been switching over without getting Openreach in, so BT are doing the same.

I don't see why they don't supply you with a plug in master socket adapter plate filter as standard instead of the microfilters.

Come to think about it they make money selling them at the BT shop.

The reasoning behind the Mk3 is to remove the interference from the ringer circuit that happens after the master socket.

May find that other FTTC providers have been switching over without getting Openreach in, so BT are doing the same.

I don't see why they don't supply you with a plug in master socket adapter plate filter as standard instead of the microfilters.

Come to think about it they make money selling them at the BT shop.

Eh? I thought it was to improve noise on the broadband what's it gotnto do with ringer circuit? I may have read you wrong

If the DSL is not filtered at the master socket it will be running around your house and picking up interference. Some of this comes from the ringer circuit.

Also you want to filter the DSL as close to the exchange as possible to get the fastest speed.

Another point to note is if you do use microfilters you may want to swap them out, the components in cheap ASDL filters may not be rated for the higher frequency of VDSL.

The thing is the plug-in ones BT supply with the HH5 kits are the cheapest and nastiest I've ever seen!

A few years ago I was given a sample of a very nicely produced Fujitsu UK-made plug in filter, they must have been trying to impress BT for a bulk order, as I never saw them ever again or for sale etc... although if you google 'Fujitsu Microfilter' on ebay used ones can be found.

Interesting 'cut-down' pics page - http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Edited by datadiffusion

Yup the tiny 'hidden' unfiltred o/p is handy, amazingly some BT contractors don't even seem to know what it's for :(

Interestingly the 'Fujitsu' dongle (if it ever really was made by them) lives on here... http://www.pressac.com/_literature_3542/DS034_ADSL_Microfilter

Edited by datadiffusion