Security Installer Community

Panel On "go Slow"?

Chris A

Hi

Almost three years ago I installed a system at home (with a bit of assistance from this forum) based around a Scantronic 9651PD Panel; I also installed a number of Honeywell Is-215TQ Quad PIRs using FSL wiring. Zones have only one PIR connected.

No modifications have been made and no works have been undertaken that might have interfered with the system since it was installed. At night, the system is part-set so that all the entrance doors and the ground floor are covered but the PIR on the first floor landing is excluded.

Last night I attempted to part-set the system at bedtime as normal. The system beeped intermittently (as usual) as I crossed the hall and climbed the stairs (which is protected by Zone 4 PIR). However, the intermittent beeping continued after I passed the point where it normally stops. Even when, I was well clear of the Zone 4 PIR, the intermittent beeping continued. Then, instead of getting the short "double-beep" to confirm that the system was "part-set", I got an alarm situation.

The Log reads:

23.03.00 Set Fail ZO4 [which is the hall PIR] 

23.03.00 Burg ZO4 Restore

23.05.22 System Restore

I have attempted to investigate the issue further this morning however I have encountered a rather odd problem (which may or may not be related):

• Some parts of the system seems to be working very, very, slowly. For example: when I open a door, the "chime" does not sound instantaneously as it used to - instead it takes anything from 10 seconds to several minutes to sound.
  • When I attempt to set the system, I present the proximity tag and select my setting option but then the display returns to the "normal" unset display. Repeating several times does, eventually work.
  • When un-setting the system, I present the proximity tag, the entry tone stops but I don't get the usual "double beep" to acknowledge it is unset. Instead, after the time runs out, I get an alarm condition.
  • When viewing the alerts, the display takes some considerable time to return to normal after all alerts have been viewed.

It is almost as if some parts of the system are running very slowly, so slowly in fact that time runs out on certain commands before the command is fully recognized and acted upon.

[Finally (and this may simply be my memory at fault) I notice that the green mains light only shows when I am doing something (eg setting/un-setting, viewing logs etc). I thought it used to show continuously (except during mains failure).] 

Once again, any thoughts, advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know enough about the panel to comment on the "sluggishness" but the issue last night sounds as if the PIR (Z04) is constantly open, can you perform some kind of walk test in the menu's and confirm the PIR is going open from closed?

If it is constantly showing open, then you could potentially have a faulty PIR or resistor issue, try changing the resistor's if that's the case. Or meter out the C/NC alarm contacts to make sure the relay is switching.

I have had to bin a 9651 ++PD++ due to it going gaga.

Exactly the same sorts of odd things happening as you mention, with no resolution even after a factory restart.

If you are up to DIY, and do not have any kind of insurance requirement I can quite frankly recommend you replace with a 9651EN or even a 9651UK (the previous model(s))

At least this would be a main PCB only exchange, same keypads, case, wiring in the same place etc...

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

[Finally (and this may simply be my memory at fault) I notice that the green mains light only shows when I am doing something (eg setting/un-setting, viewing logs etc). I thought it used to show continuously (except during mains failure).] 

This only showing after logging in IS correct behaviour on some EN and all PD models. Otherwise it would reveal a mains failure which could be of advantage to an intruder.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Many thanks for the responses.

. . . . the issue last night sounds as if the PIR (Z04) is constantly open, can you perform some kind of walk test in the menu's and confirm the PIR is going open from closed?

I tried a walk-test as suggested. Got a very strange result! In walk-test mode neither the internal sounder nor the keypad beeped as I tested each zone until either: 30 seconds had elapsed or I was testing a fourth zone! Thus, nothing at all would happen as I tested the first three zones then, as I tested a fourth zone, the panel and sounder would beep and the panel indicated I was testing the first zone; as I tested a fifth zone, another beep and the panel indicated I was now testing the second zone and so on and so on. If I stopped testing any further zones, the panel would beep and report that I was testing zones three, four and five - but each was 30 seconds after I had actually done it! Eventually, 30 seconds after testing the last zone, the panel would have "caught up" with me. Testing zones in a different order made no difference - nothing until I crossed a fourth zone or for 30 seconds, whichever was the sooner. Testing two zones twice each gave a similar result ie nothing until I was testing the second one for second time - and then it would report I was testing the first one!

I have had to bin a 9651 ++PD++ due to it going gaga.

Exactly the same sorts of odd things happening as you mention, with no resolution even after a factory restart.

If you are up to DIY, and do not have any kind of insurance requirement I can quite frankly recommend you replace with a 9651EN or even a 9651UK (the previous model(s))

At least this would be a main PCB only exchange, same keypads, case, wiring in the same place etc...

"Going gaga" sounds about right for what I have been experiencing - especially in the light of the results of the walk-test. As it stands, the system is simply not usable so I will follow your suggestion and replace the PCB. On this point, just one query though - when I shut off the mains power and disconnect the battery, the external sounder will start. I am not a particularly fast worker so, thinking of the neighbours, how long will it take the battery on the external sounder to run down? 

Thanks again.