Security Installer Community

Confirmed Signalling On Part Set?

Discussion came up in our office the other day. now I'm pretty sure i remember that you weren't supposed to send confirmed on part set. However i have just been reading BS8243 and couldn't find any reference. I may have missed it its gone midnight. 

Anyway thought id ask you guys whether i imagined this or it changed or its in there and i missed it.

From what i can make out the methods of complete setting for a confirmed system are only to be from a protective switch, shunt lock, pts button or door contact.  but then nsi say this:

NOTE 1 This prohibits the use of a timed exit procedure whereby, following initiation of the setting procedure, the IAS sets after a given time has elapsed. This is because of the possibility of a false alarm if the time is accidentally exceeded. 

Part setting:

Clause 6.3 of the BS covers completion of the full setting procedure (to fully set the IAS). Therefore there is a certain amount of flexibility in terms of part setting the IAS. However, methods used to part set IAS should minimize false alarms. Always check with the local police force to see if they accept confirmed intruder alarms when the IAS is part set. 

​So its kind of contradictory, but looks as though it shouldn't be a confirmed from a part set unless checked?

Customer parts sets using the keypad on the landing then completes setting using the p.t.s adjacent the keypad.

Customer forgets system is set, walks down stairs and triggers the part entry cct then runs back upstairs to unset using fob using the that hangs off the keypad.

This acceptable in BS8243?  

Customer parts sets using the keypad on the landing then completes setting using the p.t.s adjacent the keypad.

Customer forgets system is set, walks down stairs and triggers the part entry cct then runs back upstairs to unset using fob using the that hangs off the keypad.

Fob hanging off is customer issue so would have nothing to do with it, unless your suggesting the installer fits it there for the customer, what customer does isn't controllable always

imo yes

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Who uses a pts button inside the protected area? Unless you are trying to design around the guidelines, i agree its a loophole though. The correct wording should be pts button outside of the protected premesis.

Edited by Rob Kirk