ECS - CSCS Cards

Do you have a CSCS Card  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a CSCS Card

• Yes - Construction Skills Certification Scheme
    • Yes - Electrotechnical Certification Scheme
    • Thinking about applying for one
    • Waste of time having one

Just received my ECS card, and was wondering whether anyone else has one..?

Is having one of these cards worthwhile..?

CSCS aims to register every competent construction operative within the UK not currently on a skills registration scheme. Operatives will get an individual registration card (similar to a credit card) which lasts for three or five years. The CSCS card also provides evidence that the holder has undergone health and safety awareness training or testing.
As part of the Industry's drive to raise the level of Health & Safety awareness in response to the Government and the Health & Safety Executive initiatives, the ECS is introducing a Health and Safety Assessment as a requirement for holding an ECS card. This forms part of the Affiliation Agreement with CSCS. The test is now available and becomes mandatory from February 2003.

CSCS Website

ECS Website

Please feel free to leave any comments or opinions.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Been thinking about this one since my JIB card expired. Have spoken to some of the larger local builders and no one is asking for them round our way yet.

If you have to have one, I have no objection sitting the test it looks easy enough i can not see it will improve health & safety though.

Trade Member

On the bigger sites (taylor woodrow laing orurkes etc) you wont get on site unless you have one and they do check for them. You have to have one to work at asda (they never check them) and as someone mentioned earlier i dont see how they will improve H&S but i dont think theyre meant to.

I think theyre meant to cover the arses of the companies that are getting hammered for compensation. If you have an accident and you havent followed the the H&S requirements, in the past it was the employers fault for not ensuring you had.

Now its your own fault as you have passed a test showing you have the knowledge and should have known better. And whats more you have to pay to prove you know! :realmad:

The company i worked for arranged and paid for the entire workforce to go on the multi - guess exam last year but i also did the similar JIB one as well so now i,ve got 2 cards to prove i,m safety conscious!! :)

being serious though i do think they are a good idea - it hopefully helps to stop all the silly and daft things happening on building sites that we have all seen i,m sure. :!:

paul

PS you soon won,t have a choice - no card , no get on site!!

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Yup, it's a good idea. It encourages experience and/or qualifications but you're right, the health and safety is a joke!!

Will have mine as soon as I have the time to take the H&S test

:)

If you don't know......ask.

I have been warned about CSCS as they charge the construction industry huge levies! The CSCS card is the beginning of incorporating the security industry into the construction industry, which is widely believed to be a very expensive and therefore bad idea imo! In this day and age of reducing margins and increasing competitiveness etc can your company cope with a 5% levy on turnover?

Example

ABC Alarms employ 5 engineers, and have a turnover of 500k. The profit is 100k.

A 5% levy would be 25k thats 25% of the profit made!

How far does 25k go? thats the same as a 5,000 pound payrise for each engineer!

or half a new Astravan each? 38 new Dewalt drills per engineer, per year!

Most companies I have worked for could/would not stand for that type of charge!!!

James

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Sometimes some of your posts get maybe a bit mixed up due to loose translation maybe but then again Georg generally you dont half come up with some abosulte //.B.W.F.//! Are you sure your in Finland and not Farringdon?

27102[/snapback]

:lol:

Haven't yet find a place called Farringdon here :w00t: !!!

PLEASE forgive me if I misunderstand some parts. :unsure:

Sometimes some of your posts get maybe a bit mixed up due to loose translation maybe but then again Georg generally you dont half come up with some abosulte //.B.W.F.//! Are you sure your in Finland and not Farringdon?

27102[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: georg you def got that glayky mackem look....hendon id say..

Let me put it this way..

I have been warned about CSCS as they charge the construction industry huge levies!  The CSCS card is the beginning of incorporating the security industry into the construction industry, which is widely believed to be a very expensive and therefore bad idea imo!  In this day and age of reducing margins and increasing competitiveness etc can your company cope with a 5% levy on turnover?

Example

ABC Alarms employ 5 engineers, and have a turnover of 500k.  The profit is 100k.

A 5% levy would be 25k thats 25% of the profit made!

How far does 25k go? thats the same as a 5,000 pound payrise for each engineer!

or half a new Astravan each? 38 new Dewalt drills per engineer, per year!

Most companies I have worked for could/would not stand for that type of charge!!!

James

27094[/snapback]

If it is like this, CSCS has to remain BANNED until charges are reasonable...

27102[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: georg you def got that glayky mackem look....hendon id say..

27110[/snapback]

could i have that in english please...???

the security industry should be incorporated, then we could get some serious regs in place and get shot of the cowboys and get some decent pay for alarm engineers...

Archived