Security Installer Community

Becoming A Subby

Hi All

I'm after a little advice here, i'm a fully qualifed security enigneer (Tavcom Diploma + manufacturer training) and been working in the industry for around 6 years now. I've installed & maintained multiple IP camera systems aswell as analogue systems including access control, intruder alarms with some door auto work for my current employer.

I'm looking/exploring the idea to become a subby. I have my estate vehicle with roof racks for ladders etc, full tools, laptop, handyset etc..

Is there much demand for self emplyed engineers? I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire as such lol.

All advice appreciated.

Edited by plasmarb

Earn more, ability to pick / choose work, own hours,

I think you will find you cant have your cake and eat it only one of the above works as a subby

ability to claim tools etc back on tax

Not that I am trying to put you off here or anything but, the tax man doesn't pay you for the tools you just pay him a little less. So its not free tools its just less tax.

Personally I would have a chat with your boss about whats on your mind, you have nothing to lose if you are thinking about leaving anyway, your boss may have a better career choice for you. Being a subby is not all its cracked out to be, you need insurance and all the H&S certification cards, some co's will expect you to have up to date cards for MEWPS and platforms along with your own PPE and harnesses. You will get work from co's that don't ask for these but you wont earn the money.  

Subbies that I used have all these, I only use subbies that I know and trust.