Security Installer Community

Another 'which' Alarm System Topic

livetofly

Hi, I’m looking for some help.

Could anyone offer any advice on the below 3 quotations received for a security system to be installed and on whether they're reliable and recommended systems. The property is a residential 5 bedroom house with 3 reception rooms. Regarding price I don't really have a budget but don't want to go for something above what is required for a residential property. I am also looking for a good system that isn't in danger of being left behind by the latest technology. I have decided on a wired system, as the property needs decorating. 

I have received 3 quotations from installers in my area, I left the installers to complete their own quotations based on their thoughts (rather than give them a spec) they were as follows:

1. Scantronic I-On50 remote keypad operated control panel, 2 remote keypads (L.C.D. type, one downstairs and one upstairs), 7 Rokonet I-Wise dual element passive infrared movement detectors of 15 metre range through 90 degrees, 2 Rokonet I-Wise DT for the garage and workshop, magnetic contact to the front entrance door, Price £1180+VAT
  2. Galaxy 2/12, One SD1 Digital Speech Dialler with LCD, 9 Grade 2 Dual Technology Movement Detectors, Environmental Class II having a range of 12 meters, and has angle coverage of 85 degrees, magnetic contact to the front entrance door, : £822+VAT Upgrades: Galaxy 2-20 at additional cost £90.00 + VAT,  this does include the Standalone Rio for the smoke sensors
  3. Galaxy 2/20, 7 quad type passive infra red movement detectors with a range capability of 12 x 17 metres and an angle of coverage of 85 degrees, 2 dual technology microwave passive infra red movement detectors having a range capability of 16 x 22 metres for the garage and workshop: £ 844+VAT. OPTION ONE: Supply & Install Additional Keypad upstairs: 129+VAT. Option Three: Supply and install an RF portal adjacent to control panel to allow interface of wireless peripherals (i.e. wireless fob, smoke, carbon monoxide etc). £74+VAT. Option Four: Supply and install a wireless keyfob giving full/ part set and panic alarm facility: £30+VAT

We are undecided between a second remote keypad near the master bedroom upstairs or a wireless key fob. What would you recommend? The key fob has the panic button, which is a plus, but would a wireless system work better in a large house on two floors?

We would also appreciate your suggestions about smoke alarms and CO sensors: we like the idea of having a system sending us messages when we are away, but we don’t know if it’s best a wireless system (i.e. Nest) connected via wifi or instead some wireless (or wired?) sensors connected to the alarm system?

Is the magnetic contact to the front entrance door important? 

What are your thoughts on the above, I would welcome anyone input.

Thanks in advance

Julia

Thanks for your reply. Would you recommend a second remote keypad near the master bedroom upstairs or a wireless key fob?

Key fob won't tell you where the alarm has activated. Get wireless out of your head.

Personally, and slightly biased, the first one sounds good, if installed properly.

At least they have specified the make of the detectors.

I'm less militantly against wireless, but agree if you can wire, do so :)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

We would be fitting the Galaxy system.

Nothing against the Scantronic Ion gear just, not used it in over 4 years.

As RFS tho they so sound cheap, where abouts in the UK are you?

Were the 3 quotes from SSAIB or NSI approved companies?

I'd always recomend proper Monitering rather than a dialing ,last thing you want is for it not to work when it needs to, in my opinion that's more likely to happen with a dialer over pstn than with monitored communicator.

Galaxy wireless is good but I'd go for the keypad rather than relying on the fob.

Edited by Lwillis

I presume cabling is easy round the house?

How are the companies running the cable?

Under carpets etc.

Agility 3 Panel

All wireless zones and keypads

2 way wireless PIR's

From the quotes you have received I would quote between £1300 to £1600 tbh.

If you were to go I would choose option 3.

I presume cabling is easy round the house?

How are the companies running the cable?

Under carpets etc.

Agility 3 Panel

All wireless zones and keypads

2 way wireless PIR's

From the quotes you have received I would quote between £1300 to £1600 tbh.

If you were to go I would choose option 3.

I was told the normal pirs wernt 2 way or are you using the camera pirs?

Thanks for all your comments.

To datadiffusion: the detectors in quote 3) are Honeywell, they've attached a brochure to the quote (IS3000 and DT8000 Series)

To Lwillis and RFS: the installer of the Scantronic must like obsolete systems (?), they've also offered a HDSDI CCTV system, rather than an IP. The house is in Shropshire, prices are usually lower than London and the South-East of England. All the 3 quotes are from SSAIB or NSI approved companies.

To Hillybilly: the house is under renovations and they all said that cabling is pretty straightforward. I believe that it will be by lifting the old carpets and floor boards on the first floor.

Any final comments about smoke alarms and CO sensors? We like the idea of having a system sending us alerts when we are away, but we don’t know if it’s best a wireless system (i.e. Nest) wifi connected or (instead) a set of wireless/wired sensors connected to the alarm system?

Edited by livetofly

Thanks for all your comments.

To datadiffusion: the detectors in quote 3) are Honeywell, they've attached a brochure to the quote (IS3000 and DT8000 Series)

To Lwillis and RFS: the installer of the Scantronic must like obsolete systems (?), they've also offered a HDSDI CCTV system, rather than an IP. The house is in Shropshire, prices are usually lower than London and the South-East of England. All the 3 quotes are from SSAIB or NSI approved companies.

To Hillybilly: the house is under renovations and they all said that cabling is pretty straightforward. I believe that it will be by lifting the old carpets and floor boards on the first floor.

Any final comments about smoke alarms and CO sensors? We like the idea of having a system sending us alerts when we are away, but we don’t know if it’s best a wireless system (i.e. Nest) wifi connected or (instead) a set of wireless/wired sensors connected to the alarm system?

Hdsdi is perfectly valid and current and does have some advantages over IP

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Any smoke/Co head will require replacement in time, 7 years is a fair amount imo.

The Nest is OK and will work stand alone if the WiFi drops but as with anything if you can get it hard wired it would be better.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Ok depending on how it's setup it's quite expensive via the tap service, granted its only per call or sms which I think via open tap is 50p per sms

If they using older o2 or vodaphone centre numbers they are not always reliable

I would have thought in that price there was at least a dialler of sorts or and stand alone gsm unit

Is that the full detailed quote as it doesn't mention monitoring, I missed it speed reading maybe