Security Installer Community

Service Manager Views

abbz

probably better in trade id say,tho depending on the size of the co and the role if hes's there to count beans doesnt matter if he knows the industry or not but ideally should be from the industry as then they know how it all works and that fault finding can take more than an hour sometimes :-

Getting a new service manager. Was a call centre supervisor beforehand. Think all my previous service managers have been engineers or sales within the industry prior to moving to management. Interesting times ahead

Getting a new service manager. Was a call centre supervisor beforehand. Think all my previous service managers have been engineers or sales within the industry prior to moving to management. Interesting times ahead

well at least you will be the first person in the world to ever get to speak to a call centre supervisor,i always thought they didnt exist 

Oh, that doesn't sound great.  We had a new service manager when I was at Kings, he came from BT and to be fair made loads of changes, really made his mark and I felt he changed a lot of the way Kings operated (from a service perspective) for the better.  Obviously he got the bullet.

Organisation skills are probably a little higher priority than technical skills when it comes to managing, Some engineers can make good service managers, some are just not organised enough, Ive even known them to try to cover jobs by doing them themselves. I think having a manager that cant do cover the jobs himself is a good thing, he should be spending more time managing and less time out of the office.

That's what I'm hoping for but know in past I have passed a few queries straight to manager and seeing his technical past knew solutions whereas I feel with this new chap it will all be goobydegook to him

Hmm is that not what the manufacturers tech support is for? Engineers shouldnt be wasting managers time with technical questions, tech support is free. If there is a problem with getting hold of TS then call another engineer. 

More of a case of national account customers and problems on site then actual equipment faults. Working for a national there's so many people that have to get involved then just going route one to get something what seems straightforward to get sorted out.

Get a lot of calls where **** has hit fan and get asked to go to site and report back to manager. Them case of scenarios

We're not privileged to talk direct to national account managers. Everything goes through branch service manager first. As said previously Everyman and their dog gets involved

Hmm is that not what the manufacturers tech support is for? Engineers shouldnt be wasting managers time with technical questions, tech support is free. If there is a problem with getting hold of TS then call another engineer.

Couldn't agree more!

Jef is gonna smash your face in for that statement.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

More of a case of national account customers and problems on site then actual equipment faults. Working for a national there's so many people that have to get involved then just going route one to get something what seems straightforward to get sorted out.

Tell me about it I had to call ADT the other day about a Fire alarm, I think I spoke to everyone who works there apart from the person I needed to. Then they sent out an intruder alarm engineer to the site a week later (I never asked for an engineer just for a price for a Fire engineer) I am sure its that much harder when you're that much bigger but God knows how customers get on with getting anything done.

I wouldn't expect and engineer to be able to run Cash/Mentor or whatever systems are in place. Any basics of the industry could be learnt in a weekend so it shouldn't be a big hurdle. 

Look at it this way. The engineer/wholesaler/customer/accountant etc all have their own plates filled with their information and whats important to them. The managers job is to keep them all spinning. Sometimes it goes belly up but hey ho.