Security Installer Community

Fused Spurs

Kate Scorey

Just in the process of completing a refurbishment with int, fire, access & cctv

I'm of the opinion none of the electrical installation has been tested

the FP feed to the fire alarm had dead short on it (L+E) sparks had drilled though it weeks ago,

No continuity on L for the cctv & access ring main in the server rm,

but all energised ;)

Mr? Veritas God

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years and years we have fitted our own Spurs with no certificates or proper testing, until recently.

do you guys add a set price for a spur onto your quote to the customer? It becomes difficult in a domestic environment when the location of a control panel can change so quickly on install day.

We have 2 or 3 electricians who we work with and they will always put the spurs in for us and test.  I actively use the fact we do not install the spurs (as we're not qualified and/or more importantly competent ) and those other firms just chucking in spurs are probably breaking the law.

Those non-electricians who install spurs - do you test the work you've done and do the paperwork etc?  Thought not.

Im qual but not part p, as I try to avoid panels in bathrooms and Sheds!

And non domestic isnt under the scheme as we all know. All paperwork using iet model forms.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Sized up a job this week where no wiring in a new build but a spur on a dedicated circuit marked alarm.

Must have been for a wireless system but not even a keypad wire. Odd.

all these new build housing estates have a dedicated mcb from the db from what ive seen you pay extra for 1st fix and extra again it you want a system installed by the builder

Yeah thought that except customer says they got to choose the kitchen but were never offered an alarm

Maybe some Co they had lined up pulled out

Oh and there is a no bellbox covenant on the whole estate, oops!!

im surprised,i know a lad who worked for a house bashing co doing installs for major builders he was racking the money in doing 3 and 4 first and second fixes a day tho people would rather upgrade the kitchen than have an alarm i agree

Most new builds here have a spur next to mains for the alarm. Cable up to external bell and all wireless. I don't like it but customers expect wireless these days. No part P here and never had a problem.

most here are the illuminated signage kind saves on the street lamps