Security Installer Community

Cutting Power To Music Equipment - Anything New Out There

I have to kill the supply to some music equipment when the fire alarm goes off. Previously I have achieved this with a contactor and 24v relay from the aux contacts on the fire panel. 

I have not had to do one for several years and was wondering if there is a ready built solution available now a days.

I need to switch 30 amps @  240v

Edited by Paul P

Trade Member

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to kill the supply to some music equipment when the fire alarm goes off. Previously I have achieved this with a contactor and 24v relay from the aux contacts on the fire panel. 

I have not had to do one for several years and was ordering if there is a ready built solution available now a days.

I need to switch 30 amps @  240v

ive got some sites with setups where the systems fade on fire input tho its the music/pa gear that does the clever stuff we still just supply an input

Lol, we have a pub / night club on Canal St in Manchester on the books, let's just say not my kind on place.

The fire alarm is **** and often go's into fault, they won't pay for a new system.

It cuts the sound system in fault or fire most often on a Saturday night at 1am. They phone up going mad as they lose so much £££.

Edited by whistle

Lol, we have a pub / night club on the books in Canal St in Manchester on the books, let's just say not my kind on place.

The fire alarm is **** and often go's into fault, they won't pay for a new system.

It cuts the sound system in fault or fire most often on a Saturday night at 1am. They phone up going mad as they lose so much £££.

isnt there some reg i cant remember which one that it should shut down if a fault develops in that zone

If the fire alarm activates it should kill the music etc so that people can hear the alarm surely?, all this fading of the music via the dj stuff is it compliant?, can it fail?, be overridden accidentally or on purpose?, if it's electronically driven, which it must be if it fades, then there is the possibility of a fail to operate.

Cut all power to the DJ etc, no ambiguity imo.

Just saying.

If the fire alarm activates it should kill the music etc so that people can hear the alarm surely?, all this fading of the music via the dj stuff is it compliant?, can it fail?, be overridden accidentally or on purpose?, if it's electronically driven, which it must be if it fades, then there is the possibility of a fail to operate.

Cut all power to the DJ etc, no ambiguity imo.

Just saying.

fades as in 1 sec not a radio 1 classic,pa is used for fire evac too with inputs so i presume its fit for purpose,no different to a faulty relay not switching on fire