Security Installer Community

Texecom Veritas R8 False Alarms

matt5595

Hi all, 

Ive just recently visited a client who has a texicom Veritas R8.

Symptoms are that the Alarm repeatedly  keeps going off at random times.

They said that they have had the external sounder changed a year ago, and that the control panel battery was last changed around 4 years ago.

I then put in a temporary battery to see if this was the problem, and for the first few days it was fine but yet again the alarm has gone off several times, the owner says that the tamper light comes on everytime to.

They also mentioned the problem occurred after a power out, I have tried the defualt engineers code but nothing happend.

My first instinct now is to go back and do a factory reset

If this is the case is there anyway of unlocking this with a boss code?, if so can anyone tell me how to please?

Also could this potentially be a broken cable in one of the tamper circuits?, if so will carrying out a resistance check on each of the the closed circuits do for testing these?

Any input would be greatly appreciated 

cheers

Matt

PLEASE DO NOT PUBLISH DEFAULTING METHODS IN THE PUBLIC AREAS

Edited by PeterJames

Are you an alarm engineer?

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

I am afraid of sounding like I am been harsh on you, but been totally honest:

Ive just recently visited a client who has a texicom Veritas R8.

Did you charge them for this? May I ask how much?

Symptoms are that the Alarm repeatedly  keeps going off at random times.

Did you look into the log? What did that show?

They said that they have had the external sounder changed a year ago, and that the control panel battery was last changed around 4 years ago.

Slightly important, but this does not rule them out as faults.

I then put in a temporary battery to see if this was the problem, and for the first few days it was fine but yet again the alarm has gone off several times, the owner says that the tamper light comes on everytime to.

Did you not test the existing battery? With a meter that simulates battery discharge (amp reading) this is the correct way to determine a battery fault.

They also mentioned the problem after a power out, I have tried the defualt engineers code but nothing happend.

So it has a different engineer code.

My first instinct now is to go back and do a factory reset by powering th system down, then connecting the mains and presswing the tamper spring 3 times and seeing if the engineers code has been locked out.

That is NOT how I would default the R8+ or any texecom panel as far as I know, maybe that does work, I have never tried it. But the way the installation manual says is different.

If this is the case is there anyway of unlocking this with a boss code?, if so can anyone tell me how to please?

For the cost of a new pcb against the hassle, I would just swap it out.

Also could this potentially be a broken cable in one of the tamper circuits?, if so will carrying out a resistance check on each of the the closed circuits do for testing these?

Are you serious? How else would you do it? This is really really basic stuff to be honest.

Any input would be greatly appreciated 

Sorry

..........................................................................................................

Whats your company called? A link to your website would be good for "links" into it. :) Might get you some customers over the years :)

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

I checked the battery with the meter and the current did seem quite low, ive had a look throught the installation manual, the guy didnt know what system he had so had to come look at it so just did what i could at the time.  I normally work on honeywell systems not texicom ones.

If you read the installation manual it does have the method I mentioned, another is to press the reset after powering up again then shut the lid!!

Another way is to have the engineers code which i dont and do it through the programming menu!

Tampers can also be tested by close looping one at a time and eliminating the fault that way!

If theres any1 that thinks they can help that knows about texicom panels would be most appreciated

cheers

You checked the battery with a meter or a battery tester?

Also there are many panel checks that should be carried out that don't take long to define the fault.

I would suggest an upgrade. Upon upgrade and written in your quote all cables will be tested and if fault is found there is a charge of XXX to the final cost.

!

I checked it with a digital multimeter on auto ranging current

sounds a fancy bit of kit

i was just after the boss code tbh, ive got the engineers manuals already! the boss code is not in there

default eng is 1234, which IIRC was the "boss" (which is an old r8+)

Mr? Veritas God

lol, cheers for that mate,

so what your saying is the old R8 doesn't really have an engineers code lock out? it only the new one that does?, Im not sure when the new one came out this is another thing thats confusing me, the board im looking at is around 10 years old

I've had a look at both manuals anyway and from what I can see with the old one its 1234 then 00, instead of 1234 Prog, if im not mistaken. 

its just ive heard that it can be a result from a power failure, and you need to enter engineers mode to reset the tampers after.  Also if i perform a reset first could then try the default engineers code and eliminate that out?

I will test all the tampers to tho, but i wanna 1st try defaulting the engineers code.

Can just close loop any tamper circuits that have breaks if any until the guy wants it done then.