Security Installer Community

Would You Help Out A Stranger?

Not sure if I've been kind or been mugged. Just outside Oxford I was returning to my car parked at the services after a pit stop and a bloke came up to me in a bit of distress with a petrol can. After the initial concearned that the school secretary was getting revenge by having me burnt to death was not the case he informed me he had run out of fuel on the motorway and wondered if I'd help him out by paying for a small amount of fuel to get him home as he had forgotten his wallet. I obliged and he was surprised at the gesture but I hope I wasn't mugged. I suppose unless he is an arsonist the fuel isn't worth much on it's own.

Would you have helped out or told him to do one?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you give money or pay directly for petrol?

Seen the forecourt 'just need a few quid to get home' scam too many times to not laugh.

Paid directly for the fuel. If he had asked for the cash I'd have said no, but he specifically asked for fuel.

Edited by matthew.brough

Paid directly for the fuel. If he had asked for the cash I'd have said no, but he specifically asked for fuel.

Unusual but its win win.

Just gets poured into a big barrel in the back of the transit and start all over again...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

mug..

I'd have thought with all the things you preach you'd be the first one to help out a brother

Unusual but its win win.

Just gets poured into a big barrel in the back of the transit and start all over again...

The way I saw it was he seemed quite genuine and the mug of coffee had just cost me £1 less than the fuel and I might just have helped him out from a horrid day. If I did, I'm pleased to help. If I was mugged, my loss is £5 so on the risk/reward ratio I thought it stacked up

I'd have thought with all the things you preach you'd be the first one to help out a brother

i was on about you,id be asking questions where and why and if he didnt offer without being asked for an address to post on the money id be inclined to preach about walking on the motorway and the dangers,where his ra for doing it was etc etc,and the fact its easy to get fuel by phoning a friend who could pay over the phone with his card at the garage

The way I saw it was he seemed quite genuine

Most of them should be on the stage. Never forget this guy when I lived in London, (which was what alerted me to it)

acting like someone you'd sat next to at the bar of a country pub. Spent a good 5 minutes wasting my time and pretending

to be my best mate before going, 'so, do you think you could just lend me a fiver until I see you here next week...' etc...

Well dressed, well spoken.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I'd probably judge by the accent.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Didn't you offer to drive them back to their "car"

No as I was annoyed by the time delays I'd already encountered en route, I didn't want any further ones.

Admit it Matt you shat it and nearly touched cloth?

Cloth?

i was on about you,id be asking questions where and why and if he didnt offer without being asked for an address to post on the money id be inclined to preach about walking on the motorway and the dangers,where his ra for doing it was etc etc,and the fact its easy to get fuel by phoning a friend who could pay over the phone with his card at the garage

How would you do that with chip and pin? When I filled up but had no means to pay as I'd picked my wife's card up I was left in a difficult situation

the same way as any over the phone payment....

Not done one for years. Chip and pin or online. I had assumed thy chip and pin replaced being able to do over the phone. That would make fraud dead easy