Security Installer Community

Flashing Led - European Standard

Hi,

First of all I am new here so I hope I have posted this in the correct Forum.

I am looking into having a new residential alarm system installed in the UK, and I have been informed by a reputable local installer that there is a European standard that govens the flashing of the LED's on the bell boxes.  Apparently the LED's must flash at all times, regardless of whether the system is set or not?

Is this the case?

I have tried finding this information on Google with no luck, so any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by AdamW

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thanks for the reply.

So are you saying that the LED's are not allowed to flash constantly?

They have indicated that their system has continuous flashing LED's (even if system off, e.g. house is occupied) and then when the alarm is triggered the strobe lights flash.

Edited by AdamW

Hi thanks for the reply.

So are you saying that the LED's are not allowed to flash constantly?

They have indicated that their system has continuous flashing LED's (even if system off, e.g. house is occupied) and then when the alarm is triggered the strobe lights flash.

EWD (bellbox) leds are allowed to flash constantly.

What you don't do is have them indicate set or unset.

eg, only flashing when the panel is set.

The leds are seperate to the strobe, which can/is programmed for different options.

Hi Cubit,

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I was concerned that if the LED's flash all the time, then it may signal a potential intruder that the system is dummy, as it could represent a 'live' system, even if the property is clearly occupied.

Given you have confirmed that LED's must always flash, then that is fine.  All new systems going in now will have to follow this regulation.

Out of interest, can there be no LED's flashing, and then just the strobe when set off?

Hi Cubit,

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I was concerned that if the LED's flash all the time, then it may signal a potential intruder that the system is dummy, as it could represent a 'live' system, even if the property is clearly occupied.

Given you have confirmed that LED's must always flash, then that is fine.  All new systems going in now will have to follow this regulation.

Out of interest, can there be no LED's flashing, and then just the strobe when set off?

Not convinced you're reading the replies correctly.

The LEDS are optional/not compulsory. But, if you have them on, they stay on, set or unset.

Their purpose is a bit of a gimmick, feelgood factor, that type of thing. Helps show in the dark that the premises have/pretends to have an alarm.

Ok thanks Cubit.  That is what I thought, just wanted confirmation.

In some ways I can understand the 'feel good factor', as if there is no LED's flashing, then it could just signal a dummy box.

Any idea on the split of flashing/non flashing systems?

Wireless bellboxes often don't have LEDs of any kind and they are increasing.

So impossible to say these days.

Conversely I often fit a dummy box with signalling systems that has a 5 year battery powered LED.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands