Security Installer Community

Flashing Led - European Standard

Hi,

First of all I am new here so I hope I have posted this in the correct Forum.

I am looking into having a new residential alarm system installed in the UK, and I have been informed by a reputable local installer that there is a European standard that govens the flashing of the LED's on the bell boxes.  Apparently the LED's must flash at all times, regardless of whether the system is set or not?

Is this the case?

I have tried finding this information on Google with no luck, so any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by AdamW

Hi thanks for the reply.

So are you saying that the LED's are not allowed to flash constantly?

They have indicated that their system has continuous flashing LED's (even if system off, e.g. house is occupied) and then when the alarm is triggered the strobe lights flash.

Edited by AdamW

Hi thanks for the reply.

So are you saying that the LED's are not allowed to flash constantly?

They have indicated that their system has continuous flashing LED's (even if system off, e.g. house is occupied) and then when the alarm is triggered the strobe lights flash.

EWD (bellbox) leds are allowed to flash constantly.

What you don't do is have them indicate set or unset.

eg, only flashing when the panel is set.

The leds are seperate to the strobe, which can/is programmed for different options.

Hi Cubit,

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I was concerned that if the LED's flash all the time, then it may signal a potential intruder that the system is dummy, as it could represent a 'live' system, even if the property is clearly occupied.

Given you have confirmed that LED's must always flash, then that is fine.  All new systems going in now will have to follow this regulation.

Out of interest, can there be no LED's flashing, and then just the strobe when set off?

Hi Cubit,

Thanks for the reply.  I guess I was concerned that if the LED's flash all the time, then it may signal a potential intruder that the system is dummy, as it could represent a 'live' system, even if the property is clearly occupied.

Given you have confirmed that LED's must always flash, then that is fine.  All new systems going in now will have to follow this regulation.

Out of interest, can there be no LED's flashing, and then just the strobe when set off?

Not convinced you're reading the replies correctly.

The LEDS are optional/not compulsory. But, if you have them on, they stay on, set or unset.

Their purpose is a bit of a gimmick, feelgood factor, that type of thing. Helps show in the dark that the premises have/pretends to have an alarm.

Ok thanks Cubit.  That is what I thought, just wanted confirmation.

In some ways I can understand the 'feel good factor', as if there is no LED's flashing, then it could just signal a dummy box.

Any idea on the split of flashing/non flashing systems?

Wireless bellboxes often don't have LEDs of any kind and they are increasing.

So impossible to say these days.

Conversely I often fit a dummy box with signalling systems that has a 5 year battery powered LED.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Pyronix and texecom now sell versions of their boxes which can be dummy, wireless, or trad wired in the same looking outer case(s).

AFAIK only wired have LEDs.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

There is nothing in the standard that says you must or must not have flashing leds. Most modern hardwired BB do have flashing Leds, most wireless dont. There are hard wired box's available without Leds. It depends on what type of intruder you are likely to get as to whether he will even notice if you have an alarm, a professional burglar will have done his homework, and a drugged up opportunist wont notice the bell at all until its ringing.

• 1 year later...

Just out of interest, i have been fitting the wireless visonic bellbox for some time now and noticed the led is more like a strobe every 10 seconds, some people could mistake it for the strobe flash and think its not been reset. anyway i have been looking at alternatives to retrofit and see on fleabay there is a led flasher that lasts upto 5 years on a d cell battery designed for dummy bellboxes. wondered if this would be a more pleasing option than the visonic flash every 10 seconds that looks like a strobe...its around 8 pound though, not the cheapest thing if fitting them on jobs with already expensive wireless equipment. 

Thanks for your suggestion yeti but no it doesn't have any power inputs. only has the option for another lithium cell addon to extend the service life. looks like i might have to buy the expander card for 30 quid and an external bell on many jobs :(

If you lookout for the visonic mcs740 wireless sirens on jobs at night (or even in the day you can clearly see them flash) you will see what i mean by them looking like a strobe light without the speed of flash.

Before i started fitting them i would mistake them flashing on houses for having not reset the alarm or a re-arm but its just a cluster of 4 bright leds that when flash look very bright like a strobe especially behind the blue lens.

Anyway would prefer the more traditional quick flashing dimmer led as its more noticable due to the non 10 second gap between flashes and also doesn't look like a strobe. i could then turn the led comfort flash off as I'm sure it reduces battery life significantly.

Edited by Rob Kirk

Well I'm yet to find a good wireless kit with 3 detectors, contact, bellbox and 2 wireless key fobs for under £200 that also has a built in dialler that is not visonic...

visonic is the only one i could find that is any good at that price that does all of that..

but by all means let me know what wireless systems you recommend.

Whats the enforcer like compared to this other than being more expensive?

Edited by Rob Kirk