Security Installer Community

Secware Hd-Sdi Dvr

A really quick 'review' of the SecWare budget 4 channel D1 DVR

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3859

Introduction

HD-SDI is the friendly name for SMPTE 292(M); a digital video transmission standard published by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) for moving images at a nominally 1.5 Gbit/s interface. Two exact bitrates are defined; 1.485 Gbit/s, and 1.485/1.001 Gbit/s. This allows the transmission of uncompressed, HD images and is stable at 75ohm co-axial line lengths of up to 100m before repeaters are required.

Despite all this, and provision for all types of metadata within the standard (which I only assume is bi-directional), unfortunately there is no common platform that allows RS-485 type camera control data to be sent down the coax.

This line of DVRs comes in 4, 8 and 16 channel varieties, and unlike the analogue versions ALL are identical other than the number of channels, so you get hardwired alarm inputs on them all, twin HD support, and all versions feature common software, the same desktop and app software all work with the analogue versions which is handy, and HDMI monitor support.

In the box

The DVR, 2 sets of hard drive screws, 2 SATA leads, manuals, CD-ROM, UK IEC lead, PSU, remote control handset, USB optical mouse.

Setting up

Adding a hard drive (or two) is simple, although requires basic tools and having to  undo all 12 or so screws is a bit of a pain. But, with modern drives, it should be something you only ever do once, and then setup can be completed rapidly. Just like the SW budget analogue range, the Linux based OS fires up in seconds, and the drives formatted within a minute or two. No issue at all with recognition of the drives.

DHCP worked fine but I went for a static address, and then added a dyndns.org username and password with no issues. The netviewer software – again the same as supplied with the analogue version, so great for mixes estates, connected straight away on Windows 7 (64 bit), the GUI of which is identical to the IE or Mac Safari web interface.

The back panel

HDSDIdvr (4).JPG

In use

It took only about 10 minutes to have everything set up the way I wanted it; i.e. permissions, users, motion or alarm recording etc… When you’ve done it once you’ll never need the manual again, and just like the analogue version the only slightly annoying thing is the ‘line by line’ setup for the cameras etc… rather than seeing them in a grid or table fashion, but there is a copy function that comes in handy.

Retrieving footage is a doddle and even the most ‘challenging’ customer should have no issue with this, remotely or otherwise, it even ‘talks’ you through it. The timeline is a little hard to navigate when reviewing motion captured footage until you realise you can ‘zoom in’ by using the scroll wheel on the mouse. Watching all 4 screens in sync is of course not an issue. Footage can be easily exported to a USB stick or of course via the PC interface straight to the desktop etc…

HDSDIdvr Motion Screen.JPG

The above screen shows the way in which the motion detection is setup, using the typical ‘tiles’ setting as seen in many other DVRs.

Under the hood

Similar to the analogue versions, and with the GUI looking identical, this DVR runs a Linux based operating system, the quality of the PCB and components are superb. The PCB was clean and the SMT components neatly arranged; nothing skewed or covered in stray flux or glue. There are no fans on any of the models as far as I am aware.

HDSDIdvr (3).JPG

Long term test

My customer has had the unit for just over a month now, and is very pleased with the quality of the images, as ever he is very glad he didn’t buy a cheap ‘kit’ but it’s only now he’s seen the difference (neatly highlighted by using substream remote connections, which are highly compressed of course) that it becomes obvious; especially as this application needs to be able to read VRNs – for vehicles whose drivers would rather follow their sat nav over a former road than common sense!

HD Images

HDSDIdvr Main Screen.JPG

Cameras

One of the cameras used on this job was the bullet style SW-HD6210. From a physical point of view, the unit is easy to install with a 4mm allen key controlling everything from the locking to the wall to the adjustment of focus etc… It uses a 1/2.8" 3.2MP SONY Exmor CMOS Image Sensor, and works from 0 lux thanks to two built in IR LEDs. Auto (Mechanical) day/night and defog are supported, and has the usual dual HD and Analogue outputs as well as a full OSD menu system (although I only wish it could be controlled remotely!)

Bullet Camera Montage.jpg

Day / Night function of Camera

Day

HDSDIdvr Camera Day.JPG

Night (with no background lighting or nearby street lighting)

HDSDIdvr Camera Night.JPG

Summary

I would not hesitate to install this system where required for a budget digital system; and the HD-SDI cameras especially are at a competition scaring price level.

What’s great?

1.    The price – I haven’t seen anything at this price point that performs so well or built as well, especially re: the cameras.

2.    Quality images – truly broadcast quality, as HD-SDI would suggest.

3.    Ease of use – no different to the analogue version, you won’t get the customer phoning up in a pickle from a simple operation like reviewing footage.

Worth pointing out…

1.    PSU on this 4 channel version feels a little lightweight. It’s now been confirmed that it may need upgrading if two power hungry HDDs are fitted.

2.    No direct support for Chrome browser, however, IE and Mac Safari does and there are plenty of reliable and externally maintained tablet and phone apps, which work perfectly.

Room for improvement / wishlist

It would be nice to be able to upload a logo and change the colour scheme (currently any colour you’d like, as long as it’s green) to suit your corporate colours. Ditto an ‘installer’ area or access level to protect and lock such choices.

The configuration screens for some of the options could be tidied up so you could see all chosen options at once. But, this isn’t enough to put me off.

Manuals and CD-Rom aren’t great; bit Chinglish, but not essential.

Conclusion

A great value HD-SDI DVR that might be useful as an upsell to an intruder system or as a replacement for an older coax based analogue system where you don’t want to have to replace the cabling to upgrade to HD.

Specification

Spec.JPG

Please Note – 3A PSU supplied with DVR; if more than 1 non ‘eco’ type HDD fitted a larger PSU may be required.

Review by Stuart Feltham, 2014

Casa Security HD-SDI 4 Channel DVR review.pdf

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands