Security Installer Community

Sales Training

Hello, 

I been reading through the forum and I think this be ideal place for you guys to give some Sales Techniques which you learned. 

As you may know I am a Engineer for a National Security Company which is not A*T but I did start with them.   Even as a Engineer we are given Sales & Service training as 99% of upsell is when we talk to customer about a extra product or service which customer then calls up and asks for and we get to do quotes when were installing alarms or etc at neighbours which is always good or when we install we place Door Handle Leaflets telling them about their new security feature in the street.

So I know many of you are smaller companies and I know you all are fighting to put some food on table every week so I just want help you get some tips and I sure you have tips of your own. 

I will talking about several different ways of gaining a customer quote first

You get customers normally via 2 methods 

Customer found you via Vans, Leaflet, Yell or etc. 

or You find the customer via details from a other install or you bought the data. 

I would say its very important to always ask customer 'Where did you hear about us?' which is ideal if you get X via Yell and Y via 118 or Z via Self-Generated.  Which then helps you reduce or increase marketing and what method is working better.  You can do this very simply by every New Customer do this on there quote and put it on a Spreadsheet or in a notepad what every works for you. 

The next Method is now all about Service

People will buy a Product or Service from the Person.   If the customer asked you for alarm price then its easy as They WANT the product and Service and now you got sell yourself to them. 

I would always start with customer and say. 

" So Thanks for allowing myself to give you a quote today.   I just want find out a little bit about you and why you want an alarm"   This is what known within sales as 'best product/service for the customer' 

The next follow up question would be 

"So you explained your looking for alarm due to X, Y and Z and that is certainly something I can help you with and do you have a budget in mind for this alarm as some the things you wanted can be costly" 

You then have Customer A or B

A) Customer says 'Just give me your best price' = Wants cheapest 

B) Customer says "Not really a budget in mind but got to be affordable but we want the alarm to tick all our boxes" = Willing to pay extra if they can see the benefits. 

The next part is now your walkthrough. 

I would always let the customer lead you into the room and during the visit have little idle chat about 'Oh this is a bright room' or 'Its okay about the mess I got a 3 year old myself' or 'I like your wooden floor is that real'  during this the customer is starting to warm to you and your starting to build customer rapport and the customer tell you there we story which is important later on. 

So you now done your Walkthrough and is now the Sales Part

I would start by saying "So Mr & Mrs X thanks for a lovely look through you property and which I got a few things I noticed and I would advise you replace X, Y and Z which I can help you just to help increase your security in property" 

You then provided them some 'Free Advise'  which could be there locks are not British Standards or they got Ladders not secured or there shed has no lock or etc. 

You now want to go part of what they wanted from there alarm and this all depends if you got Customer A or Customer B

I would say something like this for Customer A

"So thanks for that and for XXX to Install your alarm we would offer you 

X x PIR Sensors

1 x External Box to make the noise

X x Door Contracts 

Free Yearly Maintainence

and Work be carried out by fully trained Installers who comply by the NSI/SSIAB/XXX Standards and we been in the area for X years and you could get a discounts of your insurance company which give you future savings.

For us to do this it would cost you £XXX which for your peace of mind as a XXX Alarm is only an investment on your home and family."

If I had Customer B

"So I know you asked for X, Y and Z and for XXX Alarms to install an alarm as Standard you get 

X x PIR Sensors

1 x External Box to make the noise

X x Door Contracts 

X x Panic Button

X x ARC Monitoring 

First Year Maintenance

and Work be carried out by fully trained Installers who comply by the NSI/SSIAB/XXX Standards and we been in the area for X years and you could get a discounts of your insurance company which give you future savings.

Which as you can see Your requirements are covered

Which this is only £XXXs but If you wanted to take out a X year maintenance which would cover A and B would only cost you £X a month"

I am unsure if any of you spread payments over a year or etc but this is stage to sell that part to the Max as not many Alarm companies do that. 

The next part does not matter if its Customer A or B and this is your Test Purchase Question. 

I would say 

"So how does that sound to you?" = This is part you get your objections or your "Where do I sign"

Objections which you may get

"I getting a price for 2 other companies" = Yea I would always advise to get 3 quotes and I been to quite a few clients today and they all come back to us and taken our alarm but that can only be a good sign eh" 

or 

"I need speak to my wife about this?" = You then say

"Oh yea I would be same and have to ask my Wife before making this type of purchase,  But if your wife is here now,  what do you think she say?'  

If he says 'I can't see anything' = You covered everything

which also ideal to say "Why don't I leave my Mobile Number at top of this paperwork and your wife can call me tonight to ask me any questions but I sure she won't" = This is just giving you extra service of a direct number to you

or

"Its higher than the other prices" Overcome would be "Do you have there quote and I can see what they quoted for?" which is also ideal to see there pricing and etc.   Which if you see something you quoted for but they not you can then say "Oh I see they never quoted for X which we can remove but that part is where the extra is coming from and reason we include this part is due to X"

You can then ask them once you got objections and makes you appear busy

"So Hypothetically that your wife/gf/gran/dog all agrees to this when do you roughly want this installed?"  This gives you ideal way of expecting when work is coming in.

The final part is to ALWAYS do the following after a Sales Call and 100% after a Install

Drop some Leaflets or Door Handle Knockers  just saying "XXX Alarms where in your area today giving your neighbour a quote and we would like to help create your street safer as a burglaries are more likely to happen to properties without a XXX Alarm in place Call us now on XXXX" 

So as you can see during this I hardly mention XXX Alarms but I did always mention what the sales person can do to help and that is all about the buyer can see the sales person but not the alarm system. 

Something which I think is good is to bring alarm system with you to show them what your system is like and ask questions like 'Do you think your be able to use that?' or 'I know its complicate but do you think your be able to use it' 

I hope all that make sense as grammar and spelling is not my key point however I am sure certain people will rip this to bits but again I NOW want to know about your Techniques which works well for you and what does not work well. 

Oi Scottish Arfur try and keep your posts to one or too lines I fell asleep half way through that!

Sorry I could of put something World Cup into it as all they talking about on TV is ENGLAND this and England that!  GRRRR

Edited Part - Ock aye,  dinni mean tae put ya tae sleep but did ya find it useful son?

Edited by AlarmScot

Sorry I could of put something World Cup into it as all they talking about on TV is ENGLAND this and England that!  GRRRR

LOL I'm fed up with the football too, but its easier if you start a topic by asking a question and letting the topic develop

You may as well spend your £'s whilst there still legal tender ;)

Not that old phrase. 

Scottish and NI notes are not "Legal Tender" but Bank of England notes are only "Legal Tender" in England and Wales.  But Legal Tender has, however a very narrow meaning in relation to settling a debt.   However a Scottish Shop does not have to accept a Bank of England as its not Legal Tender but a English Shop can do the same with Scottish Notes as this is an agreement between the parties involved of your agreement of settling a debt.