Security Installer Community

Strange Pir Tamper Alert

Chris A

Hi

The best part of a year ago I installed a system at home (with a bit of assistance from this forum) based around a Scantronic 9651PD Panel; I also installed a number of Honeywell Is-215TQ Quad PIRs using FSL wiring. Zones have only one PIR connected.

For the most part, the system has worked as I would have expected. No modifications have been made and no works have been undertaken that might have interfered with the system since it was installed.

At night, the system is part-set so that all the entrance doors and the ground floor are covered but the PIR on the first floor landing is not included.

Last night, about 30 minutes after the system had been part-set as usual, an alarm situation was created when the area in front of the first floor landing PIR was crossed. I entered the user code to silence the alarm but a moment later it restarted. I re-entered the user code, stopped the alarm but then a moment later it restarted again. This continued for some time and the log reads as follows:

23.37.01 Tamper Z05

23.37.03 Tamper Z05 Rstr

23.37.04 Tamper Z05

23.37.06 Tamper Z05 Rstr

and so on and so on. . . .  .

. . . . and it continued like that (Tamper Z05/Tamper Z05 Rstr every couple of seconds) for around thirty seconds (though it seemed like several minutes in the middle of the night)  until I realised that a new alarm condition was being created every time my Wife was detected by the PIR on the first floor landing. She returned to the bedroom, I entered the user code, finally silenced the alarm and I unset the system. I asked my Wife to pass in front of the PIR on the landing again but then the whole cycle started again!

In the end, the only way I have been able to silence it for now has been to go into "Installer Mode" and re-program the system by giving the Z05 PIR a "00 Not Used" value.

Two things seem very odd to me. First, after a tamper has been created, it seems to be reset within 1 or 2 seconds; second, it was movement not a tamper (at least not a tamper as I understand it) that caused the alarm.

Additional points that may or may not be relevant:

1) the PIR is attached to a solid brick wall (so no chance of movement/vibration etc);

2) a few months ago a similar thing happened, at night, on one of the downstairs PIRs that had been included in the night-time part-set - the log reported Z04 tamper with a Z04 Rstr three seconds later. On that occasion, however, no-one had crossed in front of the PIR and it only happened once - which I put down to a "blip".

Any thoughts on the cause and/or fixes would, as always, be much appreciated. Sorry to have been so long-winded but I have tried to be comprehensive.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...