Security Installer Community

Security Warehouse Eco Dvrs 1 Of 2

datadiffusion

Security Warehouse Eco 4 Channel Budget DVR

Introduction

Search for ‘4 Channel Analogue DVR’ on the internet and you’ll find more results

ll not die and ironically you can now even get analogue DVRs in almost stylish white

iMac mini type cases, aimed at home use; although they don’t feature things like RS485.

It could be argued that ICs like the Sony Effio series or the 960H format have pushed

analogue into realms of quality not envisaged 5 years ago when IP was seen as the

best way forward, squeezing that extra bit of performance out of analogue video with

little difference in cost for the camera, as opposed to IP where entry level is still at a

high price and even using a PC or server as the DVR, good software is not free.

post-4216-0-36886600-1393588067_thumb.jp

Price though, is a major plus for the Security Warehouse Eco 4 channel DVR.

Specially sourced, this entry level unit nevertheless offers a lot of features, and is

a true professional grade product for the same price as a restaurant meal for two.

But it turns out the low price doesn’t put it the same league as other (often dearer)

dubious online offerings with brand names you’ve never heard of – far from it.

This line of DVRs comes in 4, 8 and 16 channel varieties, and on all but the entry

level 4 channel version you get hardwired alarm inputs, per-channel loop through,

and twin HDs. All versions feature common software, full D1/960H recording and

HDMI monitor support.

In the box

The DVR, hard drive screws, SATA lead, manuals, CD-ROM, UK IEC lead, PSU,

remote control handset, USB optical mouse.

Setting up

Adding the hard drive is simple, although requires basic tools, and then setup can

be completed rapidly. The Linux based OS fires up in seconds, and the drive was

formatted within a minute or two. No issue at all with recognition of the drive.

DHCP worked fine but I went for a static address, and then added a dyndns.org

username and password with no issues. The netviewer software connected straight

away on Windows 7 (64 bit), the GUI of which is identical to the IE or Mac Safari

web interface – just note that it’s not currently Chrome compatible. Pleasingly, the

ipad and iphone software worked straight away and, after a couple of minor issues,

neither of which have ever occurred again, so did the android. A windows phone

app is apparently in the works, but there is no indication of when. Bear in mind settings

can only be changed with the webserver or the netviewer software, or of course the unit

itself. Suffice to say when using the unit directly, with the supplied USB mouse, all

orks well; interaction and response to menus etc… is instant.

The back panel

post-4216-0-43203100-1393588039_thumb.jp

In use

It took only about 10 minutes to have everything set up the way I wanted it; i.e.

permissions, users, motion recording etc… There are options for motion activated

emails too; on this 4 camera unit, no hardware alarm inputs. There was definitely no

need for a manual and the only slightly annoying thing is the ‘line by line’ setup for the

cameras etc… rather than seeing them in a grid or table fashion, but there is a copy

function that comes in handy. Many budget competitors are no different in this respect.

Retrieving footage is a doddle and even the most ‘challenging’ customer should have

no issue with this, remotely or otherwise, it even ‘talks’ you through it. The timeline is

a little hard to navigate when reviewing motion captured footage until you realise you

can ‘zoom in’ by using the scroll wheel on the mouse. Watching all 4 screens in sync

is of course not an issue. Footage can be easily exported to a USB stick.

Under the hood

Running a Linux based operating system, the quality of the PCB and components are

as good as any other I’ve seen. The PCB was clean and the SMT components neatly

arranged; nothing skewed or covered in stray flux or glue. There are no fans on the 4

channel model.

Software

Logging on with netviewer 2.0…

post-4216-0-41752100-1393588640_thumb.jp

Netviewer in use… (The IE web browser look and feel is the same)

post-4216-0-67112100-1393588641_thumb.jp

Rxcam for ipad, iphone, and android…

post-4216-0-97815900-1393588643_thumb.jp

Long term test

I’ve had my test system up and running for over a month now, and have been

very happy with its operation.

Whilst my cameras aren’t yet where I’ve wanted them, i.e. outdoors, the motion

detect facility has worked well when they have been tripped in their temporary

location. I’d have no problem using this for my own customers, and will be using

it permanently on my own house alongside some demo Axis units.

Summary

I would not hesitate to install this system where required for a budget system; at

the right discount level you’ll find it less than anything else comparable out there.

What’s great?

1.    The price – I haven’t seen anything at this price point that performs so well or built as well.

2.    Quality images – this doesn’t feel like a cheap, low res budget DVR.

3.    Ease of use – you won’t get the customer phoning up in a pickle from a simple operation like reviewing footage.

4.    Step up to the HD-SDI models and the interface is identical, no learning how to operate it all over again.

Worth pointing out…

1.    PSU on this 4 channel version feels a little lightweight. It’s more money, but I’d be half

tempted to change it on some jobs for something a bit more substantial. That said, there

have been no issues so far.

2.    No support for Chrome browser, however, IE and Mac Safari does and there are

plenty of reliable and externally maintained tablet and phone apps, which work perfectly.

3.    Competition – whilst most rivals at this price will be utter junk, the likes of the barebones

Alien range are not that far away. Reassuringly though, this exact same DVR under a brand

name sells for twice as much at most outlets to the public; an ‘all in one box’ kit based

around this DVR is also sold at some “trade only” electrical wholesalers for a much

higher price per component. Being offered it at the Security Warehouse price allows

you to still do a pro job for less than the sparky.

Room for improvement / wishlist

It would be nice to be able to upload a logo and change the colour scheme (currently any

colour you’d like, as long as it’s green) to suit your corporate colours. Ditto an ‘installer

only’ area to protect and lock such choices.

The configuration screens for some of the options could be tidied up so you could see

all chosen options at once. But, this isn’t enough to put me off. 

Manuals and CD-Rom aren’t great; bit Chinglish, but not essential.

Conclusion

A great value budget DVR that might be useful as an upsell to an intruder system or

as a replacement for an older system where you can’t persuade the customer to go for

anything higher spec.

Specification

Display Resolution
PAL: 960×576 @25fps (each channel, Frame)

Record Resolution
PAL: D1 mode 360×288 (CIF),720x288 (HD1), 720x576 (D1)
960H mode: 480×288 (WCIF),960×288 (WHD1), 960×576 WD1

Record Speed
PAL: (each channel) D1 / 960H mode: 25fps

Playback Channel
1/4 Channel

Playback speed simultaneously 8CH Record
PAL: (each channel) D1 / 960H: 25fps

Mobile Surveillance
Mobile Phones view based on  iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile (TBA) & Blackberry

post-4216-0-30184900-1393588809_thumb.jp

Hope this helps!

Edited by datadiffusion
  • Upvote 1

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 5 months later...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

it doesnt its a bare machine. most people want to use desktop drives, some want to use red drives, some want to use full on enterprise drives. so i decided it better if the installer fits their own, that way they can choose. plus i wont be able to buy drives much better than an installer.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can the software on this be branded to show company logos etc?

I havnt looked into it tbh its not in the software specifically but you can import an image with logos tel numbers etc into one of the tabs.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.