Replacement System Advice

Ask The Expert  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What Should I Go For

• Eurosec CPX
    • Honeywell Galaxy 2
    • Scantronic I-ON
    • Other?

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. Im getting quotes to replace my Securit 800L. 

The current system has a control panel, 1 Keypad, 1 Door contact, 5 PIR's, 1 Internal Sounder, 1 external sounder

I'm looking to upgrade the control panel to a system with in built voice dallier and the ability to use the current zones and equipment/wiring. Id like the ability to add devices later so maybe a wireless hybrid? Must be insurance approved so no Yales HSA's please

I've received for quotes on a Eurosec CPX, Honeywell Galaxy 2, Scantronic I-ON

Do you guys have a preference or is there something better I should be asking for?

cheers!

Most installers will have a preferance.

Galaxy for me tho.

Get quotes from 3/4 SSAIB or NSI approved company's choose whoever feels right. Not nessessarly the cheapest.

Its worth asking about warrenty(usually at least 12 months) and call out charges etc.

Also might he worth asking if there is any remote assistance from your installer( we offer this as standard on Galaxy systems)

Thanks for the quick replies guys i guessed the most pricey would be best.  :-)

I've been peddled some all wireless systems but given them a miss, is that the right thing?

Anything better than the Galaxy?

Thanks for the quick replies guys i guessed the most pricey would be best.   :-)

I've been peddled some all wireless systems but given them a miss, is that the right thing?

Anything better than the Galaxy?

It would be down to personal opinion nothing wrong with the Eurosec we sell loads of them its all about budget, the Eurosec does what it says on the box. 10 years ago the Galaxy would of been undisputed leader. I dont think they are quite as good as they once were. and there are plenty of contenders, HKC, Siemens, Castle, Texecom.

Given those limited choices, i'd say Scantronic, assume you have been quoted for the 30?

Galaxy is good but I have little experience and would argue Scanny more user friendly

in a domestic situation.

A solid panel imho, totally different to the 16 and 40.

I too offer remote assisstance on this panel using webway.

However, I also offer Siemens and dont rule out Texecom, I dont install it

yet but looks good to me.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Hi Guys yes its the Scantronic I-ON30ex 10 zone control panel, ill add a few more of the panels I've been quoted for, including a Castle Euro panel ?

Looks like the Galaxy G2 is a popular choice so far

@9651

Oops assumed wired replacement. Agreed 1 way scanny is poor (although I have one site with 20 devices, and, touch wood no issues) hence my interest in Texe ricochet.

Hi Guys yes its the Scantronic I-ON30ex 10 zone control panel, ill add a few more of the panels I've been quoted for, including a Castle Euro panel ?

OP, what wireless extras did you envisage adding? Just that as 9651 said scanny wireless is not so hot. If it was only wireless panics etc... I would be less concerned.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

No issues as you wouldnt know ;)

Only joking.

Weve got a few sites, just never been a fan of it really, especially when compared to say a G2 running portals. 

Never used Texe wireless. I like the idea, just looking on here it seems a bit 'fussy' in its set up.

God how many quotes have you had?? You are only muddying the water by getting more than three quotes

@ datadiffusion - I was hoping to add a smoke alarm and door contacts later down the line when budget permits

@ PeterJames - well my plan was that i'd get a selection of quotes until the same system was quoted a couple of times but every has their own preference so that backfired :-)

No issues as you wouldnt know ;)

Only joking.

Weve got a few sites, just never been a fan of it really, especially when compared to say a G2 running portals. 

Never used Texe wireless. I like the idea, just looking on here it seems a bit 'fussy' in its set up.

Its on webway mind, although ive had to turn jamming and supervision off (joke)

I think a lot of the texe wireless issues on here have been sorted by correct install procedure though?

@ datadiffusion - I was hoping to add a smoke alarm and door contacts later down the line when budget permits

@ PeterJames - well my plan was that i'd get a selection of quotes until the same system was quoted a couple of times but every has their own preference so that backfired :-)

Id be happy with using scanny smokes on wireless. Self contained anyway with own siren.

LOL sounds like a plan for disaster, I would always recommend you choose the company rather than the panel, whoever you felt answered your questions most professionally, and you were most happy with. Find out if the panel they have proposed is the best one they do, we offer the CPX as a budget and HKC as the premium panel for domestics, sometimes I will talk about both panels at the survey sometimes just the CPX or HKC depending on the risk assessment and type of property, Truth be told all modern alarm panels are good it really depends on the bells and whistles that you may or ,may never use   

Didnt know they did them, fair enough. As I say its only smokes and panics (and remotes, which are 2 way) id be happy using now on scanny wireless.

Its a shame as the 30, 50 and 160 are quite nice to work with.

Edited by datadiffusion

Thanks for all the help guys, i think ill ask for a Galaxy G2 though and see where the conversation goes. Don't suppose anyone's based near Staffordshire if so feel free to drop me a PM!

• 5 months later...

I'd go for Texecom. The premier elite system is very reliable and versatile. They do a hybrid kit, the panel can take your existing circuits and a wireless expander for additions. They don't have a built in voice dialler but you can always use a speech dialler or a plug on communicator for SMS over your phone line.