Security Installer Community

Any Recommendation On Power Supply?

Cctv2295

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am looking for something with a good zoom, good quality image and that will have infrared's.

I am looking to do this inside £250.00

It is for my house, and i am looking at having this as my dvr  http://www.maplin.co.uk/trublue-1tb-8-channel-network-dvr-with-smart-phone-access-661182

Would you recommend another dvr? It needs to have ptz control and support mobile viewing.

Thank you. Harrison

To be honest, you're not going to find a decent PTZ for £250. You could add another zero to the end of that and you'll be in the area of a decent PTZ with IR and 30x optical zoom. Is there a specific requirement for a PTZ camera? For most domestic premises (forgive me for assuming this!), a PTZ has little additional benefit over a couple of decent fixed cameras covering a similar area. Afterall, a PTZ can only cover one area at any given time unless it's being manually controlled or has been set up to "tour" a particular area, in which case you may find the camera happens to be looking the wrong way at the worst possible time. They are generally better suited to commercial sites monitored by 24hr security or as part of a detector triggered CCTV system linked to an RVRC for off site monitoring. They do have the novelty factor I suppose, but this will wear off in time! I'd recommend putting the cash towards a couple of fixed cameras strategically placed. You could go for a model that has built in IR but I'd also advise looking at improving the quality of fixed 'white' lighting in the camera's field of view. The recent advent of LED lighting has made this a more economical option now in terms of running costs

I can't comment on the quality of the Maplin gear as it's not something we'd ever use, but again, the phrase "you get what you pay for" springs to mind!

Trade Member

Ditto above,

Having a ptz on tour increases wear, so requires a better quality unit, a cheapy might do otherwise just don't expect super images, good features or low light capability. you will likely need to add lighting, cheap ptz's don't tend to resume the tour after a delay or power cut.

Trust me you will set it up to zip and zoom in and out all over the place, proudly show it off to your mates, only to get serious eye and brain ache trying to play back to find an incident when you really need to (just think of those wedding vid's where all the camera new and proud owner is only interested in showing off his super wide angle image then zooming into aunt flows warts with 220 times zoom,

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived