Security Installer Community

Advice On Mains Failure - Scantronic 9651Pd

Chris A

About 6 months ago I installed a new system at home based around a Scantronic 9651PD.

All seems to operate as I would expect except when there is a mains failure. When the mains is cut, the amber light on the keypad lights up after two seconds (as I would expect). However, after another eight seconds, the keypads begin an intermittent "beep"; furthermore, even once the power is restored, the intermittent "beep" continues. In fact it continues beeping until I input a user code.

I can find nothing in the manual that addresses this. The closest I can find is a reference to the keypad beeping once power is restored after a power cut if the battery has been removed - but nothing about it beeping during the power cut.

The battery was new at the time of installation.

Any thoughts/advice most welcome. Thanks.

The standards require the user to acknowledge fault conditions. I don't know about your specific panel but most beep and annoy the user until the alert is acknowledged which is what you are describing. If this is a new panel, this would explain why you are seeing what you are.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

MB is right that it will have to be acknowledged, and this panel in this and previous versions has always

beeped during the failure if unset. It has nothing to do with the battery in the panel.

You should however find an option somewhere in the settings to make the panel ignore the failure

for the first 1 - 99 minutes (your choice) and not beep until this time has expired, and power is still off.

I put one of these in a few weeks ago and certain the option is there just like the previous 9651UK or EN version.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I don't remember the 9651 having that option but it is the EN standards that require the user to acknowledge a fault.

We had comaints from many domestic installers about this and line fault which has the same issue. Even with delays the fault tones are a problem. We re-read the standards and noticed there is no requirement for an audible tone. The 'Alert' can be visual or audible. So at v9 we added an option to all euro panels for silent technical alerts. The keypad amber light flashes but no tones for any fault. This has been popular with domestic installers especially with the Enforcer.

Makers and standards writers should take note of religions where any action is required to deal with what is a fairly common event with such 'faults'.

Orthodox Jews as example, that i have dealt with believe strictly they are not allowed to switch on or off such bleeps, so have to suffer them until their religious observance expire's before they can switch them off.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I can just imagine the discussions in product meetings.

Religion on the agenda.

quite a big subject if as i, you work with and respect ethnic minority religious needs.

Might be another reason for using me over bigger companies, they know i know what they need and and i will design on or around those requirements.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

quite a big subject if as i, you work with and respect ethnic minority religious needs.

Might be another reason for using me over bigger companies, they know i know what they need and and i will design on or around those requirements.

It would turn into a potential political nightmare with no overall benefit to the company.

The market caters for all so potential customers have the choice.

Am I missing something here?, the op started with 'alert' tones, and now it appears certain religions cannot cancel said alert tones as a part of their culture!.........

Political correctness gone tits up imho.

Australia etc have got it right, we have totally fecked it up-yet again!.

Am I missing something here?, the op started with 'alert' tones, and now it appears certain religions cannot cancel said alert tones as a part of their culture!.........

Political correctness gone tits up imho.

Australia etc have got it right, we have totally fecked it up-yet again!.

Don't worry Rich. I suspect no one else is, well, apart from one.

Archived