Security Installer Community

Battery For Scantronic 9800 Panel

MB001

Hello

I hope someone will be able to help me.

My aged mother's alarm is under a maintenance contract. Each year, the company states that she needs a new battery for the panel - charging £35 + VAT each year for the privilege.

I have questioned why it needs replacing so frequently, to be told that it isn't the same battery that is replaced each year - but that there is more than one.

I suspect I can buy the batteries cheaper myself - can someone tell me what batteries my Scantronic 9800+ system is likely to require? - It is quite large with 16 zones connected up.

If the type and quantity of batteries vary, not having the engineer's code, can I simply open the panel and use the owner's code to stop the alarm so that I can see the type of batteries?

Finally, is it complicated to replace the batteries myself? That why I could undertake this part, and get the maintenance company to perform the other required checks.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Michael.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be a pointless exercise as if it is under a maintenance contract, the minute you tamper it you void the agreement and insurance cover provided to you as you have tampered with it.

You can understand your TV manufacturer would void their warranty if you opened it up yourself and played around with it?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

It would be a pointless exercise as if it is under a maintenance contract, the minute you tamper it you void the agreement and insurance cover provided to you as you have tampered with it.

You can understand your TV manufacturer would void their warranty if you opened it up yourself and played around with it?

Poster has your initials m8

The initials are purely coincidental - I assure you.

Thanks for the warning regarding voiding the terms of the agreement. However, I trust you will appreciate my concern that my mother is not receiving the best service and being charged for spurious batteries. Is it reasonable for them to need to be replaced each year? There is no warranty on the system - just a contract to service it annually, and repair anything found to be wrong.

My intention is for her to have a spare / spares, so if it happens again she can provide the engineer with the correct battery.

Thanks for your help

Michael.

All approved alarm companies have to have insurance so that if the system fails to work and the customer claims against the alarm company there is cover there for a loss. By tampering with the system, it is this warranty you void.

Which batteries are you talking about, the one in the control panel or do you have a wireless system and the batteries in the detectors are being replaced once per year?

The system is a wired alarm off a 9800+ control panel.

It is the battery / batteries in the panel that she keeps getting charged for - hence why I wanted to open it up to see what there was. However, I take your advice and will avoid doing so.

Any ideas how many batteries there are in the panel? 

Sorry of course it can't be wireless if it is a 9800+. :banghead:

The control panel will have just 1 battery and I would expect that to be changed every 3 - 5 years depending on the battery. Every year is not something I would expect. The only other battery on the system will be in the external bell.

I would share your concern about the frequency of the changes. Personally if I was in your shoes I would source another alarm company. The amount you are being charged for the battery isn't outrageous but annual changes are not what I'd expect.

Archived