Security Installer Community

Smart Meter Hacking

james.wilson

The idea of any remote connectivity to meters worries me for this reason. But saying that, the whole grid will be controlled by computer systems that have remote access vulnerabilities so is the threat already real and there?

It's true that many utility networks, especially in the US, are already vulnerable to attack through SCADA networks. However, people are worried about smart meters more because:

1. An attack would be very hard to detect, and would provide a layer of deniability.

2. SCADA systems are diverse and hard to attack (Stuxnet had to be written for a specific PLC in a specific role), yet entire utility networks are going to use smart meters working on the same protocol.

3. The smartgrid is going to be complex and highly automated. There is nearly always a flaw in complex automated networks. SCADA systems controlling switching currently are very manual.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

1. Someone selling firmware to reduce bills. These meters take OTA (over-the-air) firmware updates,

Last leg over the electricity network or mobile telephone network? I am assuming not the phone network, as it would add a layer of cost, complexity, and enough meters are in terrible locations as it is to get a decent signal, but just thought I would ask? Assuming every sub station / transformer would have to host an adaptor of sorts if its over the wires.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Last leg over the electricity network or mobile telephone network? I am assuming not the phone network, as it would add a layer of cost, complexity, and enough meters are in terrible locations as it is to get a decent signal, but just thought I would ask? Assuming every sub station / transformer would have to host an adaptor of sorts if its over the wires.

It's a mesh network, meter to meter with the odd gateway, for most systems.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Not for me,

I would rather pay the extortionate rates and have my front door left on its hinges.

As I said earlier, my mate works for the utility co, it's surprising the stories you hear of things people have done

Not for me,

I would rather pay the extortionate rates and have my front door left on its hinges.

As I said earlier, my mate works for the utility co, it's surprising the stories you hear of things people have done

Do share, sounds interesting.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

What Rulland says is very true - well over 99% of meter bypass is done by ordinary householders. 

There isn't really anything fancy in most local substations to detect higher than usual consumption. Often there isn't any metering equipment at all outside of a basic meter on the infeed. Temporary equipment can be installed though, but it's for diagnosing problems like an intermittent short in an underground cable.

Nearly everything is caught through back-end auditing and meter readings. As far as I know, the electricity company is rarely involved in tracking down cannabis factories, it's just not technically easy or even worth it for them.

Smart meters will make bypass much harder. Commonly, people bypassing meters will un-bypass them for a couple of days a month so there is some bill, just low. A smart meter will see this odd pattern.

you could, say, take a feed from before the meter to power your sockets/shower/etc, and then leave the lights running via the meter. then there would be no odd pattern to spot.

Thats a bad idea, What happens id for some reason your power needs to be turned off on your consumer unit

Youre left with live supply's roaming around the place & will be potentially severely dangerous

Thats a bad idea, What happens id for some reason your power needs to be turned off on your consumer unit

Youre left with live supply's roaming around the place & will be potentially severely dangerous

i'm not suggesting i'd do it,

but the tyoes who bypass meters don't usually care about stuff like that do they?

BGas are using DLMS for protocol which seems to be a favourite among the suppliers due to the supporting energy metering specification (cosem)

Personallly I think the protocol is not the best for the job but as long as it is specced we should then be able to interpret and interact which is a good thing ;)

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

Archived