Security Installer Community

Onsite Guides

I know i have aired this before, but would there be any interest in something like the onsite guide for electrical but focused purly on security and en etc. With best practice rather than minimum standard as content.

if so is this something you would buy if at the same sort of money as the electrical ones

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I'd assume there would never been a return on the time involved or cost of publication ?

I 'dgo with free electronic book & ask for donations ?

A "f#ckwits guide to alarm monkeying" could be a the working tittle ?

Mr? Veritas God

screw wireless tat to wall, learn wireless tat on, test wireless tat, get customer to sign.  pretty much it?

You forgot 'pressurise vulnerable old person into signing 20 year contract'...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

For me there's too many grey areas at the mo, and bits can be down to interpretation . There needs to be a pocket guide type of thing for normal goons like me on the tools, and a revision at every update, what's changed and why...... 

I'd pay for sure, would others?  depends on them i suppose. An electrical one was under £20 off memory. For something to refer back to whilst on site, would be handy. 

Edited by 9651

JW if you or a body your involved with was looking to write a book to help the industry I would look towards the NIC EIC "snags & solutions" as template.

Available in print which as an A5 type spiral bound book but also appears as editorial  in "professorial electrician" eg one snag every month

However I'd say the market for an electrical book is much bigger than an alarm book ?

if this was successful a "on site guide" would be the next bigger / more comprehensive project

Mr? Veritas God

Well if you had access to a popular security website you could do a beta guide say to how fit an EWD's ?

eg a little A5 leaflet with one fitted to brick showing the cable coming though the wall length of screws a knot in the cables ect...

no. 2 being on cladding with plate bolted though ect...

no.3  a decoy bell which flashes & has a £90.00 pmv for wiping with damp rag & Arf believes would encourage people to buy proper alarms.....

Mr? Veritas God

Well if you had access to a popular security website you could do a beta guide say to how fit an EWD's ?

eg a little A5 leaflet with one fitted to brick showing the cable coming though the wall length of screws a knot in the cables ect...

no. 2 being on cladding with plate bolted though ect...

no.3  a decoy bell which flashes & has a £90.00 pmv for wiping with damp rag & Arf believes would encourage people to buy proper alarms.....

Your prose is getting better and better.

About time you started a novel.

no.3 a decoy bell which flashes & has a £90.00 pmv for wiping with damp rag & Arf believes would encourage people to buy proper alarms.....

seems your sales ability is hindered by near complete ignorance of how to initiate and gain trust in a stranger

i did not say or or suggest it will sell only alarms - i'd never be that limited. fact they want a decoy is enough to tell me they are worried about their security to some degree, but not sure they want the inconvenience of using one and the risks of false alarms, but perhaps not thought about cctv or video door entry as example.

Fortunately i've no need of this tactic today so i can choose, but for those starting or short of work fitting a flashing or otherwise decoy, is a simple way of getting invited in with no advertising costs.

your not leafleting, door knocking, cold calling or pressure selling - simply extending that cordial meeting. by using your sales 'patter' to put at ease, and gain their trust. Now you might offer to price no pressure, and if they go for a small sytem the decoy is included, all sorts of honest ways to close sales - 3 year warrantee's as glowing example ;).

but you can't do that without meeting them.

Edited by arfur mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Only thing you'd have to watch out for is it being used as an argument tool. 

"Well I installed it as it said in this book and i'm right" "Is it an approved book?" "Nope but it's written by someone who knows what they are talking about"

However i'd certainly buy one.

If we wernt approved arf id sell logo'ed bells all day.

You do :P

I want Arf to publish his memoirs.... A single volume would keep a family in toilet paper for months

Years

Edited by Oxo