Security Installer Community

Pir Led Disable

Chris A

Hi

I have just fitted some Honeywell IS-215TQ Quad Element PIRs.

The instructions say that, after walk-testing, I should disable the alarm LED (using the switch in the unit).

Is there some specific reason for doing this or is it just "optional"? Personally, I find the odd wink from the LED as I move around reassures me that it is still working as it should and I would, therefore, prefer to leave it on. . . . . but not if it is damaging to the PIR or detrimental in some other way that I am unaware of.

Any thoughts welcome.

Main reason for disabling is to prevent a potential burglar checking any blind spots in the detector's coverage pattern. In a domestic situation this is very unlikely! A word of caution though... don't assume that because the detector's LED is responding to movement that is is actually working. It should be walk tested at least once a year to confirm it is functioning.

Trade Member

Main reason for disabling is to prevent a potential burglar checking any blind spots in the detector's coverage pattern. In a domestic situation this is very unlikely! A word of caution though... don't assume that because the detector's LED is responding to movement that is is actually working. It should be walk tested at least once a year to confirm it is functioning.

We took over a system once with 15 PIR's - all LED's came on but when opening panel found them wired for power only.  Customer had no idea and assumed they all worked.

Had 1 today. Zone 1 linked out and zone 2 hall PIR as entry exit.

Cable fault.

Tamp on panel linked out but wires connect aswell....

Joints behind plasterboard that didn't need made....blah blah

New panel going next week with full day charge for it. Half a days work would be a bonus but the system is brutal.

!

been there with 5 pir's, & as normal I'm the bad guy for telling 'em its tat..
Glad it's not just me. We can be bad guys together.
yes, I tried to find a therapist but unlike alarm monkeys they won't tell you how to fix it for free in their forum....
What idiot would give professional advice for free on a forum?Oh yeah . . . us

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived