Security Installer Community

Is This Live?

skywalker

i've read a few 'apprentice hooror stories' on here, how about the opposite? :D

i was working on a nice simple job second fixing all the devices to a redecorated house with a guy i'll call mark.

i put up all the pirs, the keypad, and the bellboxes while he did the panel (it was in an awkward cupboard so took ages)

once i'd finished i shadowed him. it became time to connect the mains.

the sparky was too lazy to put a fused spur in, so instead had one wire sticking out the wall from the consumer unit, and then another one next to it going to the end station.

the cable had been cut but the cores not seperated, so they were within less than millimetres from eachother. mark decided to meter from live to neutral and saw 240V. he asked the customers "who did your electrics, this is still live, blah blah"
"its live!?" they asked.
"yeah, look" he replies, and goes to meter the cable the second time. only this time he accidently shorts live to earth.
POOF. loads of sparks fly out the cupboard, marking the nice white walls on their way, house plunged into darkness, and mark shouting "AAHH, F*ING HELL, I CAN'T SEE"

the look on the customers faces was hilarious, and they won't be using that sparks again.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha made me chuckle.

Sparkis are the Bain of my life at the minute. Fire alarms mostly, think they know best.

i think its the same for all fire engineers :(

although intruder engineers who think they can do fire are just as bad.  :ranting:

not accusing anyone on here by the way.

Luke,

some months ago I got a voltstick with an led torch on it for less than a fiver from cpc, ideal for finding w/o touching whether stuff sticking out the wall is live

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/in05688/voltage-detector-light-tone/dp/IN05688?Ntt=IN05688

+vat & now more than a fiver,  but there a free post offer on...

Mr? Veritas God

i think its the same for all fire engineers :(

although intruder engineers who think they can do fire are just as bad.  :ranting:

not accusing anyone on here by the way.

I 've been trained to do both ( started with a small company and had to be multidisiplined . not saying in the world best fire engineer by any means. But when Sparkis wire a whole system in twin and earth and one 1 Sounder circuit . Then give the customer a falsified commissioning certificate . It's no wonder the customer get pissed when I go in and tell them it's all wrong.

Had one just last week.

Fire alarm fed from a switched fused spur (13a fuse) mains feed in t&e on a ring with the intruder alarm and the comms cabinet.

One 1 sounder circuit

Eol in panel

Found optical in the kitchen.

He had fitted a JSB badged menvier and the menvier detectors.

Not that I'm against menvier but im guessing it was on offer at the wholesaler.

Archived