Security Installer Community

Replacing Exchange With Sogo V2

james.wilson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ubuntu is a linux distribution

samba is the linux smb server to be used for file sharing in a windows environment

webmin is a web management too for the system. Good when your learning but of little use long term.

i used to use webmin years ago now im a command line man. Putty is a godsend

If you want stable server for use in a windows enviroment use sme. I highly rate it.

For something you want to customise use either ubuntu LTS or centos, depending on how bleeding edge you want to be. 

I only used to use centos for my dvrs but i do quite like ubuntu LTS. Id rather use sme but its very hard to make it do things other than its feature set. SME is the most stable thing ive ever used. Very hardened. I use it for all normal server duties. Yours has been ok hasnt it?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I thought I would start off with something a little less hard core though I do like putty now I finally got it working when I loaded ubuntu it didnt load sshserver even though I had ticked the box for it. So Icouldnt get putty to work. I had though about SME but I couldnt find what I was sure was it so I have gone down the ubuntu route. I have struggled with VNCserver and cant get it to work I think it may be a geometry problem. But I have webmin working and Samba and I can now see my server on my windows network. I just dont seem to be able to set up the permisions correctly so that I can get into the folders on the server

Archived