Security Installer Community

Landmark On Watchdog

PeterJames

I believe there was a document and we opted out as UK probably based on what insurers said, however the new EU security policy is likely to force the issue of consistent requirements across all member states, thus rendering national requirements like PD6662 BS8243 etc....not applicable, i will see if i can find something later today to jog my memory.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo, the logical solution is that the insurance companies spec the grade, instead of leaving a grey area prime for exploitation.

I disagree most insurance consultants I have come across do not have a clue. For example I have a plastic bottle company, theft attractive stock a few computers £10K (Being generous), maybe some scrap metal from templates £10k, and £800k worth of moulding machinery. So the insurance company has asked for Grade 3 with RedCare Secure or Dualcom plus. Very sensible I hear you say considering the value of the contents. However, to take the moulding machinery you need a couple of forklifts and a couple of days of undisturbed labour time to get them out, then a big artic lorry to take them away. Combine this with the fact that the factory is on the edge of a housing estate, and is run 24/6 only closes Sunday to Monday Morning.

Now the customer has no fire alarm yet the chance of the building burning down with £800k's worth of machinery going up in smoke is much higher than a burglary where they will not take anywhere near that much (Even after speaking with the insurer they want G3 and are not bothered about fire.) I also have customers with £100k's of antiques with audible only systems with their insurance companies blessing, after I have said that it needs to be monitored digi at the very minimum. I think it is right that we do the risk assesment, but I am not so sure all of us have the savvy to get it right, and there is nobody checking on us thats the worry

I believe there was a document and we opted out as UK probably based on what insurers said, however the new EU security policy is likely to force the issue of consistent requirements across all member states, thus rendering national requirements like PD6662 BS8243 etc....not applicable, i will see if i can find something later today to jog my memory.

I'd be intrested in this too as we also have some deviations from the EN standard

Adrian you will know more on this, wasnt there a -6 that had this as informative that we opted out of?

50131-6 is Power supplies.

I have most of the 1998+ drafts under discussion at BSIA GW/1 including eqipment.

Can you be more specific?

pr EN50131-1

Item6 Security Grading ??

Customers!

Archived