Security Installer Community

Day Rate Explained

HI Everyone,

Just wanted to get some advice from you all about your understanding about day rates.

An electrician told me that his day rate was £130.

He only turned up at 3pm and finished at the first site at 4.30pm.

I then asked him to work on another site as we had time and I had work elsewhere anyway so would get the most of a day's work from him but he was unable to join me as he had a prior engagement.

I then told him to just invoice me for the 2 hours (thinking £130 / 8 hours x 2 hours).

Today I had a full day's work for him starting at 9am but he didn't arrive until 10am and then mentioned he needed to leave at 2pm for another appointment.

Again I was only looking to pay for his 4 hours work since he left of his own accord.

Tonight he has sent me a bill for £130 x 2 days.

Is this right as I feel it seems unfair? If I had asked him to leave early due to lack of work then that would be different but he left of his own accord.

What should I do? I feel bullied but if you think he's in his right to 2 full day's pay then we'll do the honourable thing.

Thanks!

Some subbies do have some funny ideas £130 is cheap for a sparks good ones are £200 a day. I would guess that you have a bit of an arguement on your hands, but I would only pay him for the hrs he has worked

I would say day rate = 8 hours

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

IMO day rate is that. He works for whoever for that day for £x.

I wouldnt pay it, but if you have to come to an arrangement then do that and do not use them again. But if you want my day rate is £350 but ill always have prior appts but could squezze in an hour or 2 for that if need be.

Let me know

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thanks for all your comments so far.

Surely there's got to be one person out there who believes this guy is in the right? (would love a balanced view)

Perhaps I should offer to pay him a higher hourly rate than the pro-rata day rate (£16.25 per hr based on £130 day rate).

ok..so the advice is to stick the wooden spoon where exactly??hehe

Thanks for all your thoughts.

We're probably not that harsh to not pay him at all but I understand your sentiments.

A fair pay for fair work. I just don't like to be bullied into having to pay him if he has genuinely not worked the time as agreed.

I'll certainly be more careful in future and get them to sign/agree the rate of pay so there's no confusion.

I've even paid for his parking and congestion charge which we normally don't do for any other subbies but as they say, "give them an inch...."

Thanks for all your comments and I hope others reading will also be able to get something out of this.

a day rate is the rate you pay for a days work. if he has only worked 2 hours then I would pay half a day. if he has only worked 6 hours then i would pay a full day depending on the prior relationship.

• 5 months later...

My day rate varies ( London more expensive ) but is for 8 hours on site. Have had some clients who think that driving between sites is not included e.g arive at site do 4 hours then drive to next site 1.5 hours drive away, then expect another 4hrs work.

There are other thing to factor parking for London, congestion charge, fuel.

I did a few calls in London for a client the other day total cost of parking was over £60 congestion £10 fuel £12 and supplied parts.

I would expect a bit more to cover for the extra expense than if I had been working on one site for the whole day.

But then again I would have been upfront about this and agreed prior to work.

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

Agreed that London is horrendous when it comes to CC and parking in the west end. We've been thinking about electric vehicles (but that's another thread!)

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

I think we all agree that a day rate is for a day.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he has it confused with a call-out rate or something.