Security Installer Community

External Cabling

can you?

I never thought to ask on the bafe course I was on last year. I always cable inside, but thats probably due to it being ingrained on me installing alarms

I drove past a pub the other week with pink faded FP clipped round the outside, that to me suggests its not rated for outdoor use..

It got me thinking thats all :)

19. Is FP200 Gold® suitable for outside installations?

For external installation with exposure to UV, we recommend white or black sheathed FP. Do not use red sheathed FP outside without additional protection.

Disclaimer: The information given in this document is believed to be correct at the time of loading but may be subject to change

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Using it without 'Mechanical' protection outside is very naughty. If it has to be ran outside treat it as the same for running below 2m height. e.g protected so no one can easily interfere with it. All MrHappy is saying is if you don't want it to fade, use white or black. However, if you remember under 5839 we are only permitted to use red.

Stick it in some galv conduit, mark either end with a label. jobs a good-un.

*my opinion, doesn't constitute legal advise yada yada*

I was always under the impression for lighting you could use whatever colour takes your fancy?

I think traditionally the cable most specified for the exterior lighting on a public house was MI, the idea of soft skinned FP is the belief it does not require mechanical protection ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I think traditionally the cable most specified for the exterior lighting on a public house was MI, the idea of soft skinned FP is the belief it does not require mechanical protection ?

Lets just qualify "mechanical protection". The outer skin IS mechanical protection where trunking, capping, conduit etc is ADDITION Mechanical protection

Customers!

The outer sheaf is in no way mechanical protection on soft skinned FP. How could a soft skin cable offer any protection? it simply isn't robust enough. Only SWA and MI are considered to be robust enough off the drum. Everything else below 2m would require some form of protection.

The outer sheaf is in no way mechanical protection on soft skinned FP. How could a soft skin cable offer any protection? it simply isn't robust enough. Only SWA and MI are considered to be robust enough off the drum. Everything else below 2m would require some form of protection.

Well there you go. YOUR WRONG!

PVC/PVC cables are insulated then have mechanical insulation.

MICC and SWA have ADDITIONAL mechanical protection.

If you bother to read BS 7671 rather than quote good working practice then you would know it is quite within the scope of the BS (by way of example) to clip a 2.5 mm cable around the skirting board to feed a ring main of sockets.

i like your thinking better than than BS 7671

Customers!

Archived