Security Installer Community

Telecommunications

jb-eye

Tele Communications

More of a blog this one. I was reading through some of the older forum posts and was reflecting how far so few have come in the last 7 years.

Im going to bore many of you, and yet hopefully motivate at least a few into revisiting the telecommunications discussions.

Some of the more clued up members involved in those discussions have regrettably moved away from participating in these pages and their wisdom is a sad loss for the likes of me.

Im now on to my second VOIP telephone system. The first was installed after familiarising and proving the ATA concept, using soft phones and becoming a little more ambitious.

For many years we have used the ISDN route with DDI numbers for porting off to UDL modem, fax etc.

A mention of the fax by the way causes me to digress as we dumped ours many years ago and it caused me to reflect doe anyone still use these?

Our old (perhaps up to 15years old) and reliable telephone system the NEC (formerly Nitsuko) has served us well any challenger to its replacement would have to bear up with high specification. Unfortunately the first VOIP system failed in more than one department although the cost saving on call and line rental prevented dismissing the product completely.

We ran two systems concurrently upgrading the voip as and when we felt there was a beneficial development.

Today we have a completely new telephone system that runs on free software and competes with our old NEC phones for features and quality of service QOS.

The saving is based on removing 2 ISDN 2 along with quarterly charges and discounted call charges.

We subscribed to three new local area STD SIP numbers each with at least 2 lines. We have mapped two of these numbers with our 0844 Nos for both general and UDL/ARM communication and we even retain revenue share. None of this incurs us with ongoing line cost and even generates income.

A further saving has been achieved by the use of an alternative mobile service provider. We previously subscribed to vodaphone and before this orange paying £25 a month for a fixed term contract just for the privilege of being mobile. The bigger insult was the costs incurred calling similar mobile users from our office lines. We originally overcame the issue by using a premiercell unit and have now upgraded to mobile trunks using a PAYGO scheme that allows free calls between the network providers and all UK mobiles dialled are routed via the same trunks.

Our out of hours system is operated on a 0906 premium rate number which is designed to reduce the number of nonsense calls previously burdening our engineers whist on standby. It would appear the customers perspective of an engineer being on standby is one similar to the rescue services. Or AA.

We neither which to discuss your system intricacies or listen to your woes. You either need an engineer or you don’t and at £.50p a minute they normally wait for a business day. Yippe!

Now the concept has to have hardware and this does have a capital expenditure as well as some running costs electric and broadband, however I had these before with our old telecom so not really a backward move.

Being slightly conducive to wiring I installed my own network, added a POE switch to the rack to power the phones and dropped in a rack mounted PC from e-bay. The software as I said is free and all was left to do was set up the programming which strangely enough I also found I was conducive to well that is once you get your head around the jargon.

The system benefits from sharing extensions across the water to Ireland as well as down the road to Bolton. If I dial 07 from Eire my call is routed via Manchester and it cost nowt or next to nowt depending on the UK mobile provider im calling. All local and national calls go via SIP which is on PAYGO on a rollover price of £10 for 10000 minutes, the internals between engineers at home and abroad are free.

All calls are recorded (for the training poo) and you set up your mail boxes or call management boxes.

Mine turns the system on to manual M-F 9-4.30 and back to voice prompts after 4.30:

Press 1 for Eng

Press 2 for ARC

Press 3 for a message

Press 4 to listen again

Calls after hours come in on the 0906 and dial the eng free on 07mobile.

During bus hours you can divert to anywhere you want either from the system or via the internet.

Unusually ours is connected to our Dbase using TAPI so we see incoming callers and their account before we answer but the system allows for the import using CSV for all your customers to be logged in the phone display, handy for quick dial and ID.

This type of install is perfect for switched on engineers and could likely introduce a new revenue stream at least until the give it away for FA crowd get on it.

Anyway as I said on opening I hope some will benefit from my post and for those who wont im sorry for wasting your time by you reading this far.

post-2708-0-95067000-1333646013_thumb.jp

Customers!

jef. You doing udl over your sip trunks?

How. I had issues with this many years ago on local ata's... sometimes. That was using ata's toconnect to our (now previous) swyx voip system. We now use 3cx and i havnt revisited it. I tried the 64k bitrates at the time and still only had 95% udl success. Id assume your not running 64k bitrates on your trunk?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Tele Communications

More of a blog this one. I was reading through some of the older forum posts and was reflecting how far so few have come in the last 7 years.

Im going to bore many of you, and yet hopefully motivate at least a few into revisiting the telecommunications discussions.

Some of the more clued up members involved in those discussions have regrettably moved away from participating in these pages and their wisdom is a sad loss for the likes of me.

Im now on to my second VOIP telephone system. The first was installed after familiarising and proving the ATA concept, using soft phones and becoming a little more ambitious.

For many years we have used the ISDN route with DDI numbers for porting off to UDL modem, fax etc.

A mention of the fax by the way causes me to digress as we dumped ours many years ago and it caused me to reflect doe anyone still use these?

Our old (perhaps up to 15years old) and reliable telephone system the NEC (formerly Nitsuko) has served us well any challenger to its replacement would have to bear up with high specification. Unfortunately the first VOIP system failed in more than one department although the cost saving on call and line rental prevented dismissing the product completely.

We ran two systems concurrently upgrading the voip as and when we felt there was a beneficial development.

Today we have a completely new telephone system that runs on free software and competes with our old NEC phones for features and quality of service QOS.

The saving is based on removing 2 ISDN 2 along with quarterly charges and discounted call charges.

We subscribed to three new local area STD SIP numbers each with at least 2 lines. We have mapped two of these numbers with our 0844 Nos for both general and UDL/ARM communication and we even retain revenue share. None of this incurs us with ongoing line cost and even generates income.

A further saving has been achieved by the use of an alternative mobile service provider. We previously subscribed to vodaphone and before this orange paying £25 a month for a fixed term contract just for the privilege of being mobile. The bigger insult was the costs incurred calling similar mobile users from our office lines. We originally overcame the issue by using a premiercell unit and have now upgraded to mobile trunks using a PAYGO scheme that allows free calls between the network providers and all UK mobiles dialled are routed via the same trunks.

Our out of hours system is operated on a 0906 premium rate number which is designed to reduce the number of nonsense calls previously burdening our engineers whist on standby. It would appear the customers perspective of an engineer being on standby is one similar to the rescue services. Or AA.

We neither which to discuss your system intricacies or listen to your woes. You either need an engineer or you don’t and at £.50p a minute they normally wait for a business day. Yippe!

Now the concept has to have hardware and this does have a capital expenditure as well as some running costs electric and broadband, however I had these before with our old telecom so not really a backward move.

Being slightly conducive to wiring I installed my own network, added a POE switch to the rack to power the phones and dropped in a rack mounted PC from e-bay. The software as I said is free and all was left to do was set up the programming which strangely enough I also found I was conducive to well that is once you get your head around the jargon.

The system benefits from sharing extensions across the water to Ireland as well as down the road to Bolton. If I dial 07 from Eire my call is routed via Manchester and it cost nowt or next to nowt depending on the UK mobile provider im calling. All local and national calls go via SIP which is on PAYGO on a rollover price of £10 for 10000 minutes, the internals between engineers at home and abroad are free.

All calls are recorded (for the training poo) and you set up your mail boxes or call management boxes.

Mine turns the system on to manual M-F 9-4.30 and back to voice prompts after 4.30:

Press 1 for Eng

Press 2 for ARC

Press 3 for a message

Press 4 to listen again

Calls after hours come in on the 0906 and dial the eng free on 07mobile.

During bus hours you can divert to anywhere you want either from the system or via the internet.

Unusually ours is connected to our Dbase using TAPI so we see incoming callers and their account before we answer but the system allows for the import using CSV for all your customers to be logged in the phone display, handy for quick dial and ID.

This type of install is perfect for switched on engineers and could likely introduce a new revenue stream at least until the give it away for FA crowd get on it.

Anyway as I said on opening I hope some will benefit from my post and for those who wont im sorry for wasting your time by you reading this far.

I'm going to read this fully later on as I'm brain dead right now but it looks interesting and I might be emailing you for some more specific info if you don't mind!

I have an mild interest in telecoms, the most pressing telephone issue I have is sorting a handfree kit out,

office wise the current set up is an Elastix 1.6 with an atcom card running PSTN lines, handset are 7940's, my main interest was call recording to protect me from knobheads.......the foundations are in place but had not really had the spare time to make much progess.

Fax wise we have a hosted 01 No. which just appears as email in the inbox, belive £5 a month but mines a freebie by a friend.

Out going faxes (once in blue moon) are YajHFC of the desktop.

Short term goals is/ was GSM unit, was thinking Portech 2 sim unit & cheap contract sim(s). However GOIP & Giffgaff may win the day.

My other interest is TAPI with AM, I assume you have have AM licance & tapi plug in on you system (Freepbx?)

Sip wise I wanted a product I could use a modem over to lineload & bought a modem rack off fleaback for this but again have made no progess

Mr? Veritas God

I have a friend in the telecoms business and he is always telling me to bin the security company and do telecoms more money in it. (Others may think different!)

He was telling me that he earns £1800.00 per month on customers calls before even doing any business himself which sounds nice!, this only increases due to more phone calls being made and more customers per month.

He is of the old school telecoms days but has moved into VOIP services and he subs me all VOIP & cabling work as he has no interest in learning new technology which I see he has no chance but too!

Be interested to know what software your running.

Archived