Security Installer Community

Panel With Remote Set/unset Ability + Protocols

Hi all,

I'm looking to fit an alarm to my house.

I've been looking at the Optima G4 mainly because it's cheap.

It has an output which is active when set and off when unset. This is great as I need to interface the panel to a remote access web system.

However, I'm also looking to set and unset the panel remotely. This doesn't seem to be supported.

Can anyone advise me of a panel which allows a signal to be sent to it to remotely set and unset the system?

Ideally just a simple signal wire, but I'd go for an RS232 interface if needed. Obviously price is important to me here.

I am aware of the ramifications of doing this and connecting it to the internet.

I can only say that I am satisfied with the security of my internet gateway.

If no such panel exisits, can anyone please advise me on what sort protocol is used between the G4 panel and a RKP as the alternative for me would be to emulate an RKP in order to better web enable the panel as I could read back zone information etc.

If anyone has already done this with a panel or knows of a cunning project, again please advise.

I've already got a CCTV system hooked up which is doing motion detection to an ARC and remote viewing. Whilst this will also support limted alarm inputs and outputs, there is no substitute for a secondary independant hardware system with good old on/off sensors and a bell box.

cheers

Dave

Hi The coopers/scantronic I0N 40 would do all that you would like or move up to an M800 but if you are looking to cheepest is best look ealse where :whistle:

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't really want to go for a wireless sytem.

The fact that it has the ability thus seems like a waste of money as I wouldn't use it.

that said, I've found a kit of the ION for sub 500quid which I suppose is do-able.

Ethernet looks good, I'll take a look at this more.

Menvier M800 ? Around £170? that's cheap enough to keep me happy :)

Again, with radio. bah. I suppose they all come with this after a certain price point.

I'll tke a look at what the modem support can do once I find a good manual for it.

Please keep the suggestions coming :)

Dave

The features you are after will be available on most of the top end panels. Galaxy, Menvier M and Texecom Premier, the latter being moast user frendly. Some will require extra interface modules.

It would be fairly straight forward to use a zone on the panel as a keyswitch and trigger set/unset via DTMF or SMS.

What type of device would you want the system to set with?

Hi,

Remote SET and UNSET would be via the internet.

So the interface will allow for mobiles, PC's, even assign it to a button in a home automation system if the need arises.

Mainly flexibility.

The ION looks good due to the ethernet, but it depends on exactly how it's set. If there is an API I can use or I have to figure out some dumb application which is forced on the user so it has an iPhone interface :rolleyes:

Pure HTML/CGI submissions mostly preferred.

If there a specific Texecom Premier I should look at ? It seems too cheap (40 quid??).

Dave

I'm looking to fit an alarm to my house.

I've been looking at the Optima G4 mainly because it's cheap.

not a great start really.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Even assign it to a button in a home automation system if the need arises.

I am pretty sure Texecom stuff with intergrate with Crestron HA, but you would have to be an Texecom Registered Engineer to get support for it.

If your HA works on ethernet/HTML, then you could use that to set/unset with a trigger - simpler in the long run?

If there a specific Texecom Premier I should look at.

Recommended to use the Premier 48 > at the moment for full compatablity with all the plug-on's

Then you require all the other bits mentioned above.

My company is installing mostly Texecom. We often work with another company that does home automation and AV and they use Crestron.

So I can confirm that Texecom Premier 48 + ComIp rs232 + Crestron works fine. In this case remote is done through the Crestron, but it works fine stand alone as well if you use Wintex software.

Archived