Security Installer Community

Dome Cameras With Built In Ir

basilb

Some cameras I installed a couple years ago have problems now with IR whiteout at night caused by the acrylic covers getting scuffed from wear & tear. They have the IR inside the dome around the lens. It doesn't seem to take much to get micro scratches in the plastic - I assume from cleaning &/or wind borne dirt. Is this a common problem & should I have stayed away from in-built IR?

Can you not just replace the covers, are spares available?

more commonly, the seal between lens and cover fails/shrinks/distorts etc. This allows the IR reflections into the lens thus giving the white out.

the dome camera that looks over my koi/stergeon pond came with IR inbuilt into it but i unplugged the lead to the ir bit so ir doesnt work as like others have said it had a white ring round the lens which made video picture look terrible at night, luckily tho with the pond brick lights lit up during the night the irs arnt needed but i tried it and didnt think much of it at the time, imho its better to have a seperate ir lamp fixed to the building along side each camera :yes:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

the dome camera that looks over my koi/stergeon pond came with IR inbuilt into it but i unplugged the lead to the ir bit so ir doesnt work as like others have said it had a white ring round the lens which made video picture look terrible at night, luckily tho with the pond brick lights lit up during the night the irs arnt needed but i tried it and didnt think much of it at the time, imho its better to have a seperate ir lamp fixed to the building along side each camera :yes:

This is quite remarkable Colin, for once I agree with you, best to have seperate IR lighting

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

yes it`s a common problem but a couple of years ago LED`S were the answer to everything, today it`s "sens up" technology ................. tomorrow it`ll be something else.

its always a compromise.

yes it`s a common problem but a couple of years ago LED`S were the answer to everything, today it`s "sens up" technology ................. tomorrow it`ll be something else.

its always a compromise.

May be so. but the problem is...easily resolved.

Archived