Security Installer Community

Ir Sender/repeater

Adi

Anyone know of a cheapo ir sender for using with a remote control.

Hardwired.

Ive used them when they have been incorperated into hdmi over cat5 convertors but want a standalone one.

cheers dudes.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I've used this one for a couple of installs with the av gear hidden, on one of them I extended the wiring to 7m long to hide the media centre pc, sky box and cctv dvr in the cupboard under the stairs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Control-Extender-Sensors-devices/dp/B003DL50NU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1301872698&sr=8-7

cheers lads.

I thought i had seen a cheapo one for a couple of quid somewhere.

Think i'll stick with the wireless one, get it for the same price, less work to install and they work well.

cheers

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know of a cheapo ir sender for using with a remote control.

Hardwired.

Ive used them when they have been incorperated into hdmi over cat5 convertors but want a standalone one.

cheers dudes.

Hi.

I would imagine that you have this sorted but for reference we offer a solution with Video transmitted in one direction and IR data in the other. Its manufactured under the brand name VideoMitter.

If you want details visit www.videomitter.com

The websites under development but a useful PDF can be downloaded that gives some examples of its use.

cheers,

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Hi.

I would imagine that you have this sorted but for reference we offer a solution with Video transmitted in one direction and IR data in the other. Its manufactured under the brand name VideoMitter.

If you want details visit www.videomitter.com

The websites under development but a useful PDF can be downloaded that gives some examples of its use.

cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

How much? PM if you like.

Aaron

• 2 months later...

Potential users of the videomitter should be aware that although supplier information states various information such as the TX and RX should be at least 2 metres away during the binding operation and that up to 20 TX/RX units can be used on one site....and various installation options,there is a limitaion that is important to know prior to planning and using these devices.This I have found out at my expense,following sales calls and receiving literature on the advantages of videomitters I purchased one unit (with standard supplied antennas)to test and installed on a site within a large basement area,with line of sight and a distance of about 40 metres max.

The received signal strength is indicated on the monitor viewing the transmitted image and for some reason varies constantly,several days later the units are holding up and no reports of the image being lost.This is just as well as it seems that when a problem (which has happened on subsequent units)occurs,the image is frozen on the monitor,this is all well and good if viewing a scene with constant movement but when viewing an area with no movement of an unoccupied area...it would be easy to think that all is working well.

The receiver must still present the last image before it has ceased to work.

The other issue I have is that although distance information is given for binding,the number of units that can be used one a single site (20) what is blatently omitted (and known by the supplier in the UK) is that all transmitters must be at least FIVE metres apart and so must all the receivers be at least FIVE metres apart ! ! !

The sales team never mentioned this and today the technical team were not aware when I initially made a call and were just testing this as we spoke ! interestingly someone more senior told me this and feels that it is something I should have known about albeit his own team did not ! ! and also feels that it is Ok to omit this information from any sales literature.

I, to my expense and to a customers dismay (along with other installers I know...don't think the same.He also does not think he will get many if any calls on this.

I am sure that should these units do 'what it says on the tin' and used in a single TX/RX situation,or installers place all TX's and RX's at least FIVE metres apart (assuming the supplier decides to make his customers aware of this prior to purchasing)) these units will be very useful.

I hope that this post reaches the eyes of potential users before using just as much as I wish the supplier was more informative in these limitations,it could have save me money and a lot of time in revisits to a job..and of course I now have to take the job out and forget invoicing the customer for anything ! !

This is a digital system where the TX and RX have to be 'bound' and not an analogue system,much like the equipment used by RC modellers nowadays with great success......this really should not have the limitations of an older analogue systems and certainly not when advertised that 20 units can be used on one site.

Finally,don't forget,if you encounter this situation,it will be your fault for not knowing the 'FIVE metre rule' albeit,you were never made aware of it in the first place :hmm: ..and don't expect an apology for lack of information,or any other form of help...or even any understanding of your situation from DH.

Right...I have had my rant and will now do another 90 (the fifth this week) mile round trip in the evening to grovel to the customer and attempt to stretch two metres into at least five ! ! !

Potential users of the videomitter should be aware that although supplier information states various information such as the TX and RX should be at least 2 metres away during the binding operation and that up to 20 TX/RX units can be used on one site....and various installation options,there is a limitaion that is important to know prior to planning and using these devices.This I have found out at my expense,following sales calls and receiving literature on the advantages of videomitters I purchased one unit (with standard supplied antennas)to test and installed on a site within a large basement area,with line of sight and a distance of about 40 metres max.

The received signal strength is indicated on the monitor viewing the transmitted image and for some reason varies constantly,several days later the units are holding up and no reports of the image being lost.This is just as well as it seems that when a problem (which has happened on subsequent units)occurs,the image is frozen on the monitor,this is all well and good if viewing a scene with constant movement but when viewing an area with no movement of an unoccupied area...it would be easy to think that all is working well.

The receiver must still present the last image before it has ceased to work.

The other issue I have is that although distance information is given for binding,the number of units that can be used one a single site (20) what is blatently omitted (and known by the supplier in the UK) is that all transmitters must be at least FIVE metres apart and so must all the receivers be at least FIVE metres apart ! ! !

The sales team never mentioned this and today the technical team were not aware when I initially made a call and were just testing this as we spoke ! interestingly someone more senior told me this and feels that it is something I should have known about albeit his own team did not ! ! and also feels that it is Ok to omit this information from any sales literature.

I, to my expense and to a customers dismay (along with other installers I know...don't think the same.He also does not think he will get many if any calls on this.

I am sure that should these units do 'what it says on the tin' and used in a single TX/RX situation,or installers place all TX's and RX's at least FIVE metres apart (assuming the supplier decides to make his customers aware of this prior to purchasing)) these units will be very useful.

I hope that this post reaches the eyes of potential users before using just as much as I wish the supplier was more informative in these limitations,it could have save me money and a lot of time in revisits to a job..and of course I now have to take the job out and forget invoicing the customer for anything ! !

This is a digital system where the TX and RX have to be 'bound' and not an analogue system,much like the equipment used by RC modellers nowadays with great success......this really should not have the limitations of an older analogue systems and certainly not when advertised that 20 units can be used on one site.

Finally,don't forget,if you encounter this situation,it will be your fault for not knowing the 'FIVE metre rule' albeit,you were never made aware of it in the first place :hmm: ..and don't expect an apology for lack of information,or any other form of help...or even any understanding of your situation from DH.

Right...I have had my rant and will now do another 90 (the fifth this week) mile round trip in the evening to grovel to the customer and attempt to stretch two metres into at least five ! ! !

Hi.

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with the VideoMitters.

Since its launch we have sold just over one thousand units on a sale or return basis, just one pair has been return to us. If you are dissatisfied with them you are very welcome to return these items for a full credit, no quibble.

I have spoken to David Hewitt who spoke with you yesterday. He said he would look in to the instructions of the product and if information was missing or misleading that he would see it was included/amended asap. David said that he informed you of these intentions also.

If transmitters use omni-directional (transmit in all directions) antennas they do need to be kept a reasonable distance apart. As I guide line I would suggest 2-5mtrs for low powered radio devices (such as the VideoMitters). If the transmitter is higher powered this distance increases.

If however the transmitters use additional directional antennas then you can bring the transmitters closer together as the radiated transmission will not spread to the transmitters situated adjacent to each other.

The actual design of the system taking in to account all the components used and the site conditions will truly dictate what can be situated where.

As the Videomitters contains a full hand shaking routine with two way communications then the “receivers” need to be thought off as “transmitters” for design purposes. They have been labelled receivers so that engineers understand which device to put at which end. Perhaps this two way transmission has been a confusing point for which I apologise. We call them receivers to help installers understand what to put where and not to mislead.

Regarding the transmission distance they will do 200m line of site on open terrain, ie ideal condition with the antennas supplied. With the external antennas they will do up to 1KM. You indicated that you had only got 40m in a basement so if you can elaborate more then I could perhaps try and help identify if there are other environment conditions at play, with such a short distance and line of sight is there a reason you did not cable as it would generally be the most cost effective option if there is nothing in between two points in the same room?

local environmental conditions can effect all radio equipment. In the London bombings the fires services radios didn’t work underground in the tube stations for example. Similarly, other transmission equipment and the structure of building can all have a detrimental effect on range, however this can be easily overcome with the addition of external antennas.

We are working on producing a an RF design guide as when installing radio transmission equipment there is a host of factors that need to be taken in to account and product instructions alone can not not teach all the skills and can cover ever scenario that will crop up. RF installation design is both an art and a science meaning you can have rules for installation but they will still not definitely work on every site which is when the art of the installer is also just as important as the rules of the instructions.

I hope this note goes some way in rebuilding your confidence in the product and I can add that they have been used from farms to prisons with great success where other transmission products have failed.

When I have finished writing this guide I will send it to you to see if you think its comprehensive.

cheers,

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

A brief response to the above as I need to be elsewhere..

I don't recall or see anywhere where I said that I was not satisfied with the videomitters as the first one is to my knowledge still operating but I think I made myself clear in my conversation that I was less than happy with the lack of information on the physical spacing of the units when used in multiples on the same site.

Again,you inform of the 2m distance when binding,achievable ranges with various antennas and critically...the number of units that can be used on a single site (20)

You make much of what you can do and none of what you cannot do...this is left to the unfortunate installer and his customer to discover at their expense.

If there are limitations such as placement distances and you are aware of them...why not include this in literature/websites? especially as you make a point that 20 units can be used on a single site.

You would be naive to think that a high number of sites would not have the requirement for all images to be delivered by whatever method to a single point such as a dedicated security office,often small and 'tucked' away.

QUOTE..

We are working on producing a an RF design guide as when installing radio transmission equipment there is a host of factors that need to be taken in to account and product instructions alone can not not teach all the skills and can cover ever scenario that will crop up. RF installation design is both an art and a science meaning you can have rules for installation but they will still not definitely work on every site which is when the art of the installer is also just as important as the rules of the instructions.

In view of your above comments and your awareness of RF installation issues...all the more reason to put as much effort into provision of installation limitations as you do in sales calls to promote the product,literature and website design....'cart before the horse' springs to mind.

If I were to use up to 20 of these units with standard antennas on a site as you clearly state you can..I would need a 100 metre wall length available to space all the antennas ! ! and all the associated cabling etc to receive all signals..and of course just hope for the best.

This is an extreme example but it is feesable that someone may want to send several signals from a main building to say...a security gatehouse,these are in the main,a small structure....this of course would pose a problem.

On the subject of my 40 metre installation,I did not say that was the limit of the distance that the units would acheive...that was the intended distance and all the distance I needed to transmit,it was line of sight and the basement was large enough to take articulated truck and twice the height of one..at least.

I had tested the unit to around 80 metres on battery prior to installation,(this was the single unit I had purchased to test prior to buying the other three)

Videomitters were used as the camera was of a covert nature and a limited amount of 'visible' time on site was available and a powered lifter would have been required and the cable route was somewhat 'torturous' and a lot of stock moved,this would have attracted attention and associated costs to the customer.

There may come a point when you take on board my 40yrs of experience in this field.

I have used your 'original' 2.4ghz units for short hops such as this many years ago,along with your 5.8ghz units in a similar case to these units.

Also I have Radiodata,Radio Contact,MEL and various other manufacturers radio links and that includes vastly more expensive COFDM links so I would not assume that I am new to radio and this industry...40 yrs to date.

I have used your 5.8ghz analogue units in pairs within half a metre of each other for a months duration on a temporary install with only the occasional dropout which was expected and acceptable as they just restore themselves.

These 2.4ghz digital units dont 'restore' themselves and the last image presented is just frozen and as such...someone viewing this scene on a monitor could easily think that there is just no activity in the viewed area....................worth a mention in literature/website and provided instructions ? or just wait until installer/customer discovers this?

The site which has been problematic with two links was tested with a single link for range and signal quality days before the installation along with the cameras (yours) and the DVR and monitor,they were all run for three days without an issue so don't assume I throw these things in without testing.

Once again I refer to your claims that 20 units can be used on a single site.....this being down to the digital and binding nature of the units....As David says he is aware that the units require a five metre spacing,albeit sales were not along with technical,although technical were doing some tests on the day of my phone calls.......why did he not ensure that this 'five metre rule' was given up front to customers?

And why does it take these posts in a public forum to get a response? His words 'to look into it' sounded under duress as his initial response was that 'we did not put this information in our analogue units so why put it in for the digital units' and he did not see a problem and doubted that hear that anyone else would have the same problem.

I have had some issues with some equipment from yourselves in the past,minor and ultimately resolved with the help of someone in technical but have never felt the need to air in a public forum.

I don't intend to highlight those here as a member of the technical team at the time understood the problem and took it upon himself to 'right the issue' all credit to him as management had dismissed my concerns.

I did say to David that I had seen an image somewhere displaying a DVR and three receiver images in close proximity and no warning of spacing limitations,a sales team member had also seen the same whilst on the phone yesterday............he said there was no such image,there is as I found it last night..http://videomitter.com/examples/videomitter_commercialsite.html

I accept this is not an actual schematic of an installation but that display along with the claim of up to 20 units on a single site....and the lack of the 'five metre' rule...is,for sure misleading and lacking in important information.

I feel it is time now for the answers and responses (on here or the phone)not unlike that of a politician,come clean and accept that the information you provide in sales literature/websites/provided instructions to be more informative in at least all the examples I have given and any more that you are aware of.

You have only chose to respond with such information as I have posted in this public forum,had my concerns yesterday been responded to in a more 'receptive' manner,this did not and should not have to be this way.

I have had to respond to my customer in a much more receptive and understanding manner...the job was not a lot in the scale of things but was a short term installation on hire...it has failed and as such cost me around £2000-00 plus all the additional revisits and customer confidence to a degree...fortunately,is aware of the telephone conversations of yesterday,my postings on here and your responses and accepts that all my comments are valid.

Just to clear this one up.....I was not offered a refund on the equipment yesterday by David,there was no comment at all on my losses,only when I aired my views on this public forum was that forthcoming.

Neither did I ask for a refund and as I stated in my previous,the units in question 'do what it says on the tin'

and if single units function well,I would use them again.It's just that the words on the tin need to be much more informative and I don't mean 'may contain traces of nuts' I'll reserve that for David ! ;)

I will await your offer of a guide thanks and hope that certain persons will accept that important information should be available prior to the sales stage a customers perception of 'service' soon translates to reality,lots of forums out there and this time,I chose this one carefully as you had posted on here to promote your product and expected you to view my post,it does beg the question...should I have to do this...NO,a more favourable response yesterday would have avoided all this.....seniority does not excuse someone from having an 'attitude' towards a customer................now is my 'cash' account still valid?

Not so brief after all then.....

Hi.

As per my comments on my first reply you can put the units closer together if you wish but you may require additional directional antennas.

Everybody has genuinely tried to help you and be courteous to you and nothing else, this both before you have posted your comments and after.

David said he did speak to you yesterday and did apologise for any misunderstanding about the product instructions. His actual call log is as below.

I will ask David for your contact details and call you.

Paul.

<<<<<<<<<< 18/07/2011 16:53 David-Hewitt >>>>>>>>>>

Alan says that he is not happy as he has just been told by technical that he needs to separate his receivers by at least 5m

He said that this information should be in the instructions

I have told him that I agree the information should be in the instructions and I will check and if it is missing I will make sure that it is inserted

<<<<<<<<<< 18/07/2011 10:20 Lisa-Sperry >>>>>>>>>>

Spoke to customer having issues with the MITKIT, transferred him through to technical to try to resolve the situation - follow up

System Q Ltd.

Paul...I have just read the David Hewitts note of 18-07-11 at 16-53,which I had not read before the call you made to myself directly yesterday afternoon which you followed up with an email saying 'you thought was productive and hope would strengthen our relationship and hoped I thought the same' I agree and hope we can move forward from this.

Having said that and reading the notes mentioned above.....I am compelled to say the following for the record and this is,and I make no apologies for this,aimed directly at David Hewitt via here.

The conversation with David lasted around 20 minutes according to my phone record and I had to cut is short as someone was waiting for me for 10 of those it would have been longer for the various reasons such as..

David was not receptive to my concerns and if he was,the call would have been over in a few minutes,especially as someone was waiting for me.

He was aware of the requires 'Five metre rule' and implied I should have known this.

He was also aware that this was not in any website information,sales literature,the catalogue and did not feel that it needed to be included.

It was David that informed of the 'five metre rule when he was implied that I should have known.

Technical engineer and myself had two conversations that day and it was suggested that the units may have to be separated (no specific distance at that time) and on the second conversation was still awaiting results of separation.

Sales person tasked with promoting and follow up calls on these units was not aware of this 'five metre rule' hence me being put through to David to escalate the issue.

Clearly I was unhappy with being told at this level that I should have known that I needed five metres separation at this stage ( which was not possible on the installation)

I did not actually make the call to yourselves,Lisa made a follow up call to me that morning to see how I had got on with the units,I stated that I was having a few problems and she put me through to technical dept.

At that point,bearing in mind I had made a number of revisits to the job where the units had been installed as two pairs..( I had done a site test with one link I had purchsed and all was fine and all was fine) the problem arose not within a few hours of the installation of two links.

My point is,even though I had been forced to make a number or revisits to the job,four days later and four revisits....I HAD NOT MADE A COMPLAINT CALL ...The message here is....Something that day had offended me so much that I searched for a forum that I had never used before that had some mention of videomitters...that something was David Hewitt with his complete lack of understanding and his attitude.

He states in his note below (copied)

<<<<<<<<<< 18/07/2011 16:53 David-Hewitt >>>>>>>>>>

Alan says that he is not happy as he has just been told by technical that he needs to separate his receivers by at least 5m

He said that this information should be in the instructions

I have told him that I agree the information should be in the instructions and I will check and if it is missing I will make sure that it is inserted

He had no need to check if it was missing.....He told me the spacing was not in any information available to prospective purchaser and did not believe it needed to be ! ! ! he did say he would look at it but again,did not believe it needed to be..... All I felt was challenged by him.HE DID NOT say he would make sure it would be inserted...if he did,I never heard that but had no problem

Are we all to believe that David Hewitt..a director of the company I understand has zero involvement in sales literature,the catalogue,videomitter 'flyers',installation instructions,the websites content,the sales team,the technical team or training of...even any proof reading of anything relating to videomitters...of course he knows the information with respect to spacing is not there....BUT CRUICIALLY...HE KNEW IT WAS NOT without checking

I guess that begs the question for those that don't know...apart from upsetting customers,which I have to say,he excels at..what does he do? that was rhetorical but clearly,his role must and would have to be limited.

You did mention that sales line calls are recorded for training purposes and conversations can be recovered,I understand that the call was on a sales line,I know I have received calls from sales on the same number.

As I feel challenged by Davis attitude and the 'not quite' a candid note on record and published on here....Now here is my challenge to David for all to see,well,actually hear as the spoken work adds reality.

Recover our telephone conversation of 18/07/2011 16-30 that your notes refer to,convert them to some audio file of your choice and post on this forum a link where all can listen to the conversation in it's entirety....not edited to suit yourself..or for sure,it will be challenged.

You have the resources to do this and have 100% my permission to do this..I and I'm sure other will welcome this.

With reference to staff being courteous towards myself before and after my posting(I only had contact from yourself following posting on here,not before,understandable and albeit started a little 'high' again,understandable, we had a long frank and open talk which we both felt was productive.

We must remember here that I did not make a complaint call here so conversations with Lisa and Mike were courteous and they were trying to be helpful,just as David in sales and the chap on the counter (sorry,forgot his name) always have been,this I stated yesterday on the phone and has and is not the issue here...this is clear in my postings.

The issue here and I make no apologies for saying this is a 'loose cannon' in a director role,dealing with customers with a reputation that precedes him in this respect and an attitude towards customers that have an issue.....is about as welcome as a 'fart in a lift car'..

On a lighter note.. :whistle: maybe,just an idea of course,allow all other members of staff mentioned...could 'mentor' him,a sort of 'in house,upwards training scheme in customer relations'.....Paul,this one could fly,you already have the resources on the payroll.

The challenge for David of course,is deadly serious.Those notes just did it all again.

• 4 months later...

Oh...

We are now in December, I have installed Two Pairs of these devices last week.

I am having similar issues with them as both Transmitters and Recievers were initially mounted next to each other, I wasn't told about any issues with this and neither is there any information in the Brochures/Flyers relating to Device Siting.

The standard 200m aerials were not up to the job, Go back get the 300m aerials, they work, but aren't reliable even though as of now both TX aerials are External, Both RX aerials are inside a Slated Roof Loft area less than 60m apart.

I have been told that the RX side ONLY have to be 2m apart, I now have these spaced accordingly but am still having issues.

Is this 2m spacing incorrect?

Should they be 5m apart?

Does this spacing apply to the TX side?

I've been told not, but yet am still having issues.

Now apparently there is a 'firmware' update that can be installed on the Videomitters, I have to take them out and return them for this to be done.

My customer is slowly losing faith in my ability to resolve this.

It does not look good.

More information prior to purchasing this kit would have helped.

Oh...

I am having similar issues with them as both Transmitters and Recievers were initially mounted next to each other, I wasn't told about any issues with this and neither is there any information in the Brochures/Flyers relating to Device Siting.

The standard 200m aerials were not up to the job, Go back get the 300m aerials, they work, but aren't reliable even though as of now both TX aerials are External, Both RX aerials are inside a Slated Roof Loft area less than 60m apart.

I have been told that the RX side ONLY have to be 2m apart, I now have these spaced accordingly but am still having issues.

Should they be 5m apart?

Now apparently there is a 'firmware' update that can be installed on the Videomitters, I have to take them out and return them for this to be done.

It does not look good.

Hi I would also like to comment on the miss information or rather the lack of it

the first issue is the IR repeter while this works very well it is severly handicapped by the ridiculously short

wire on the IR probes the only way it can be used is to bolt the reciver on top of the Dvr as Im told the wire to the IR transmitter

can,t be exstended. totally defeats its purpose.

Next having fitted the transmitters in weather proof boxes under the eves for best line of sight signal path

I now find that it is nesesarry to be able to access the vidiomitters to keep pressing the pair button due to signal dropout

somthing that is not mentioned anywhere in the sales bumff or installation literature so Im now left with a very disgruntled

customer as hes having to hire an access platform to re set the damm things. as of this time Im still awaiting a solution from

my supplier. given the lack of technical information as I wasn,t aware of your proximity to other unit problem one has to ask

if the instructions supplied are fit for purpose I think not

Oh...

Should they be 5m apart?

It does not look good.

Hi re aerials did you have to replace both tx & rx aerials or did you get away with just changing the TX

the reason I ask is im using a mitkit to remote the dvr from the house the reciver is attached to the vesa mount on the

back of the monitor & sticking a bigger aerial on it is not practical when the system is working it works well with the reciver

on the back of the monitor it can be plugged in anywhere in the house & use the remore IR sender to control the dvr

its just the signal is a bit weak as I think the 200mtr specified is a bit overoptimistic to say the least

Archived