Security Installer Community

Nokia And Ms Windows Phone 7

james.wilson

As nokia will be using Windows phone 7 in the near term im expecting some cracking hardware. Thank god they finally dropped symbian.

IMO they will use the meego as an open source platform to 'compete' with android. And use phone 7 as there main stream smartphone system.

Looks good imo. Plus with RIM trying to make android work on blackberry shows to me its a 3 horse race between MS, Apple and Android.

Apple and MS will be high end IMO android will rule the volume and be the low end os of choice

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are they to late to the supper though James?

they used to be the defacto handsets, great battery life and robust. but as handsets gained functionality they seemed to sit on their laurels after te N95 8GT imho.

now Android and Iphone's are so strong, i fear Nokia are to late to regain their once held lofty position, not helped in any way by some very buggy smart phones.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

if (and i have only seen reviews) windows phone 7 is as good as it looks then its a good move. GIves control of the environment to nokia without the fragmentation of devices and performance that android allows. You said yourself that you thought your iphone was far Superior to android cos you compared it to a low end (ish) android device.

That will be the issue imo. Android will rule in numbers terms, new facebook phone runs android for example. But as with anything a lot of people hate ms due to not buying or spending enough on the machine to run it and blame windows not the machine. ie slowness etc.

I see the same problem with android as they cant control the hardware spec. Apple and MS can as its licenced. Think of it as an approved vs unapproved issue lol

No control at all on the android side. I always thought they had a chance to make it work, but when someone as powerful as nokia joins the MS game and not android (as i prev thought they would) it does speak volumes.

nokia always made great hardware, the thing that held them back was the OS. However how does a hardware manufacturer carve its own segment when using another OS. THink of the PC manufacturers that have been and gone. But then think of those that have done well, ie Dell, HP etc.

Id say this is a huge oppertunity for MS (not nokia but they will IMO go along for the ride)

Id put money on the fact my next handset will run MS phone 7/8 and be made by nokia. I cant see a better partnership to be honest

if (and i have only seen reviews) windows phone 7 is as good as it looks then its a good move. GIves control of the environment to nokia without the fragmentation of devices and performance that android allows. You said yourself that you thought your iphone was far Superior to android cos you compared it to a low end (ish) android device.

That will be the issue imo. Android will rule in numbers terms, new facebook phone runs android for example. But as with anything a lot of people hate ms due to not buying or spending enough on the machine to run it and blame windows not the machine. ie slowness etc.

I see the same problem with android as they cant control the hardware spec. Apple and MS can as its licenced. Think of it as an approved vs unapproved issue lol

No control at all on the android side. I always thought they had a chance to make it work, but when someone as powerful as nokia joins the MS game and not android (as i prev thought they would) it does speak volumes.

nokia always made great hardware, the thing that held them back was the OS. However how does a hardware manufacturer carve its own segment when using another OS. THink of the PC manufacturers that have been and gone. But then think of those that have done well, ie Dell, HP etc.

Id say this is a huge oppertunity for MS (not nokia but they will IMO go along for the ride)

Id put money on the fact my next handset will run MS phone 7/8 and be made by nokia. I cant see a better partnership to be honest

Nokia have been left way behind with regards to business users.

You may be disappointed. They may well see more mileage in the yoof sector.

to be honest as a unit to compete with that id say the htc pro 7 is better, but no-one has seen meego yet as it hasnt been released. With the money that intel and nokia have spent on it i do hope its their long term future.... but it looks to me that apps and app numbers will decide the mobile champion. As such it will be one of the 3. (MS, Google or apple), and if i had to put money somewhere.... and im talking longterm it would not be on apple.

to be honest as a unit to compete with that id say the htc pro 7 is better, but no-one has seen meego yet as it hasnt been released. With the money that intel and nokia have spent on it i do hope its their long term future.... but it looks to me that apps and app numbers will decide the mobile champion. As such it will be one of the 3. (MS, Google or apple), and if i had to put money somewhere.... and im talking longterm it would not be on apple.

I 'good' windows phone would be my choice, just makes sense.

imho haveing lived through several incarnations of window mobile on different makes of handset, which every phone locked up several times a week i view with caution.

i did all the WM forum suggestions of closng of programs to reduce memmory overheads and so on, to no avail and battery time was pretty awful.

so i bought a Nokia N95 8GB which had far better battery life and no locking up, but it did really screw up all my outlook contacts.

iphone is not perfect, but to me it has more plusses than current offerings. if Nokia can make a stable windows mobile buisness platform, many like me who rely so much on the PDA facilities, could return in droves.

but for that to happen, i for one would not be paying premium prices for crocked versions of ported poorly implemented apps.

i think they need to grasp it is the apps and their veriety that will keep the customers comming back to a certain platfom, and where Iphone and Android already have one hell of a start, so it will have to be very good indeed.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i wouldnt disagree arf. I didnt want to leave win mo, but the stability issues and the fact i couldnt get (at the time) a win 7 device, i left and went to android. It is better but misses many work things i was used to with my old phone. But other things more than make up for it. I reakon ill be back to windows and i reakon it will be a nokia device i end up with

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading some comparisons between the different mobile phone operating software, I did not realise that Windows Mobile 7 does not support multitasking or cut and paste - both functions I would of thought to be very important for a business user.

I believe both issues will be addressed with updates but until then ......

Nokia have definitely disappointed the open source/Linux world, including myself.

I do agree that something needed to be done about SymbianOS and Windows Mobile is an important deal for the company.

But I feel, Nokia will release its upcoming MeeGo phone under development and then move on; the departure of Nokia's MeeGo team manager has emphasized this.

Hopefully the development of (Maemo/MeeGo) Fremantle/Harmattan will continue.

I don't think I would get a Windows Mobile, as mentioned there are so many important things in can't do yet.

Windows Phone 7 lacks some features that were found in earlier versions of Windows Mobile. Among the features that have been confirmed to arrive in the near-future include cut, copy, and paste, full multitasking for 3rd party apps, and Adobe Flash. Windows Phone 7 supports upgradable storage via an SD Card; however SD card memory is merged with the phone's internal storage, and changing the SD card causes the phone to reset to factory settings. Windows Phone 7 does not support connecting to Wi-Fi (wireless) access points which are hidden or have a static IP address, tethering to a computer (although it can be done via a hack on the Samsung Focus), videocalling, VoIP calling, USB mass-storage, universal email inbox, universal search, a system-wide file manager, Bluetooth file transfers, USSD messages, or custom ringtones.

Windows Phone 7 devices only support syncing with Exchange ActiveSync over the network. There is no support for syncing with Exchange ActiveSync using a cable or cradle.

In the enterprise, Windows Phone 7 does not support Office documents with security permissions, IPsec security, on-device encryption, strong passwords, or internet sockets. While the older Windows Mobile phones supported the full range of Microsoft Exchange Server policies, Windows Phone 7 only supports a small subset of Exchange features. The Calendar app no longer has a 'Weekly' view. The list of past phone calls is now a single list, and cannot be separated into inbound, outbound or missed calls.

I'll be sticking to my Fremantle for the foreseeable future.

how can the worlds largest software writer make such a first class f... up.

If they want to compete with others surely they have to match and beat their rivals, not give a cut down version

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Was reading some comparisons between the different mobile phone operating software, I did not realise that Windows Mobile 7 does not support multitasking or cut and paste - both functions I would of thought to be very important for a business user.

I believe both issues will be addressed with updates but until then ......

really?

wonder what went wrong.

6.5 and earlier do..

really?

wonder what went wrong.

6.5 and earlier do..

this is where people seem to get mixed up.

You have Windows Mobile and then you have Windows Phone(the new one) AFAIK Nokia will be using Windows Phone. I believe the HTC HD7 has the same Windows Phone set-up.

I agree other Phone OS offer more bang for your buck, however we need something that will integrate fully with our existing and future office based software, i can't see android fitting the bill.

ps: they said the copy and paste issue would be sorted by last month, not sure if it is though tbh.

Nokia have definitely disappointed the open source/Linux world, including myself.

I do agree that something needed to be done about SymbianOS and Windows Mobile is an important deal for the company.

But I feel, Nokia will release its upcoming MeeGo phone under development and then move on; the departure of Nokia's MeeGo team manager has emphasized this.

Hopefully the development of (Maemo/MeeGo) Fremantle/Harmattan will continue.

I don't think I would get a Windows Mobile, as mentioned there are so many important things in can't do yet.

I'll be sticking to my Fremantle for the foreseeable future.

Worse than I thought, there are some serious drawbacks in there.

Seems Windows Phone 7 was built from scratch, no bad thing imo as I thought Windows Mobile was a Pocket PC with a phone app and was awful as a phone (had not used the later versions though).

Agree that something that integrates with how the office runs is the most desirable but it seems that Win Phone 7 is not it, at least not yet. I believe Windows Phone 7 will develop quickly but I also believe that the way the office runs will change, the likes of Android will make more sense then imo.

there is a belief that ms paid nokia to jump to its platform instead of android. Plus it will allow nokia to change the i/f if they want to. Something MS have denied any other manufacturer with wp7

Agreed there is no multi tasking for 'after' market apps but it can mutltask core functions. THis will be addressed soon but i think this will affect battery life more than the current way. Id prefer the option as im not sure that multitasking is such a big deal as long as certain things continue in the background.

Copy and paste. Id agree poor. They said it wasnt needed but it is.

Im pretty sure my next phone will be wp7 and probably built by nokia.

there is a belief that ms paid nokia to jump to its platform instead of android. Plus it will allow nokia to change the i/f if they want to. Something MS have denied any other manufacturer with wp7

Agreed there is no multi tasking for 'after' market apps but it can mutltask core functions. THis will be addressed soon but i think this will affect battery life more than the current way. Id prefer the option as im not sure that multitasking is such a big deal as long as certain things continue in the background.

Copy and paste. Id agree poor. They said it wasnt needed but it is.

Im pretty sure my next phone will be wp7 and probably built by nokia.

What do you think of the HTC 7 Pro that happy posted.

Archived