Security Installer Community

Ade Gen4 - Alarm On Mains Powering Up?

mib150

Hi all,

First post, so go easy ;)

I installed an ADE Gen4 panel with remote LCD keypad, together with ADE detectors, bell & internal sounder.

The system seemed to be working fine with everything operating as expected.

However I was called back to it after the alarm went off for no reason, several times.

When I looked at the system, all looked OK except the time & date on the keypad had reverted to factory settings (01-01-06 Sun 00:00 if I remember correctly).

I have checked through the whole system & there appears to be no obvious faults.

I have managed to re-create the same fault - I have done this by dropping the mains supply, when mains is restored the alarm goes off & the date & time are lost (other settings I have changed such as user code & zone names are retained).

There are no faults shown on the keypad after the alarm is silenced (all zones and 'T' & 'P' have '0' underneath them). The system can be restored to 'unset' mode without issue.

The battery is connected & has been charging for 24hrs+, the fault doesn't happen when in engineering mode & the mains are dropped, then restored.

Any thoughts, comments or solutions more than welcome :hmm:

I'm not a full time alarm installer, but a qualified electrician & I've fitted a few systems in my time, but this one is leaving me scratching my head???

Many thanks

battery fuse ok?

also what is the day mode current?

Id say its battery related.

What is the charge voltage?

Not sure of current, but I did check voltage on battery, it was 13v.

When mains is dropped, keypad still operates & bell does not sound, it's only when the mains is restored I get the alarm & date/time loss.

Not sure of current, but I did check voltage on battery, it was 13v.

When mains is dropped, keypad still operates & bell does not sound, it's only when the mains is restored I get the alarm & date/time loss.

Not switching cleanly?

But if your overloading the panel this may be the root cause. Do a current check and see.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Not switching cleanly?

But if your overloading the panel this may be the root cause. Do a current check and see.

Where do I check the current, I expect my digital clamp meter might not be accurate to such small current.

Just to add further confusion, I rang technical and explained the situation. They must have run the same test on their test bench - and suffered the same fault???? I'm waiting for a call back from them.

I can't believe that this is how the system is supposed to work?

no way, there are thousands of these things out there. Unless its a current production fault, its something wrong and not a standard feature.

re current you will need to put your meter on current in series with the battery and remove the mains supply. That will show you the quiescent current.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

no way, there are thousands of these things out there. Unless its a current production fault, its something wrong and not a standard feature.

re current you will need to put your meter on current in series with the battery and remove the mains supply. That will show you the quiescent current.

Many thanks, I'll do that and let you know

Just been back to the system & I took the voltages.

All fuses OK.

11v at battery terminals in panel with battery connected

14v at battery terminals in panel with battery dis-connected

6v across battery.

Looks to me like the battery is buggered! It's been connected for two days now so has had ample time to charge.

I'm guessing my meter has just rounded up 13.8v to 14v, so I'm assuming the panel is charging correctly?

Will go and swap the battery tomorrow - I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for all the advise.

Marcus

Archived