Security Installer Community

Which Panel?

Howdy all,

I am trying to deciede on a alarm panel and associated equipment for a friend

I have already fitted the sounder (texecom), PIRs x 5 (texecom) and all the cabling

I have only really worked with Texecom up until this point but as I want to use prox tags (for the guys non technical parents when they look after the house) this rules them out

The MDT Westech Avanti XP panel has caught my eye for the following reasons:

LCD prox keypads

Supposedly super easy to use as help files are built into the keypad (manufacturers claims)

"Red 4 Bed" Proximity tags - one half for part set, the other for full set (simple)

Built in modem for remote access/control

Cost - very competitively priced

The possible downsides I have came across are:

Where to buy - the only outlets I have found are the security warehouse and alert electrical and both piss me off as they cannot be contacted by telephone (online only- doesnt inspire confidence in the event of a warranty failure)

Reliability - from the little info I can find on these products this appears to be a concern, (Alert electrical mentioned this as one of the reasons they are phasing their equipment out) I have spoken to the manufacturers and they assure me this is nonsense (but they would)

Availability - sourcing is a problem, Avanti XP panels are available but no one has LCD prox keypads, I spoke with the manufacturers and they say they cannot source the proximity transponders at present (doesnt inspire confidence, another of the reasons that Alert electrical are phasing this equipment out)

Has anyone experience of these products, (either positive or negative) and if anyone can suggest any other equipment with a similar spec with similar features (ease of use in particular)

Thanks in advance

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never used that one TBH.

Never seen one, in many years of fitting alarms.

Would suggest Cooper/Menvier or Galaxy. TBH

Security Warehouse are a good supplier.

Brief answer I know but straight to the point.

texecom do tags

But only on the Premier range which is complete overkill for this installation not to mention very costly

Or is this not the case?

Never used that one TBH.

Never seen one, in many years of fitting alarms.

Would suggest Cooper/Menvier or Galaxy. TBH

Security Warehouse are a good supplier.

Brief answer I know but straight to the point.

Brief is fine

So the MDT isnt common, shame as on paper it ticks all the boxes for a very reasonable price

Is there any particular panels I should look at from the manufacturers you suggested (I am unfamiliar with their products)

I spoke with the manufacturers and they say they cannot source the proximity transponders at present (doesnt inspire confidence, another of the reasons that Alert electrical are phasing this equipment out)

theres a ahortage of componets as factorys have closed due the market being on its behind, a number of control panel makers

have been effected by this,my current supplier has issues with faulty kit due to sourcing componets that ain't as good as what they used to get....

I've never used MDT,

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I would say use a Galaxy G2-20. Would seem to cover all you need.

Maybe a Cooper M series. M600 maybe.

Whatever you want with UDL the prices are going to be higher rather than lower. Plus you`ll need to purchase the software obviously.

Both of those will not have "tag" setting like you mention. the Galaxy can have "transmitter" fobs that will do similar but you would need another part to enable it.

For the lads on here...........

Is it me or does that panel look like an early Veritas?

Even the link for the manuals takes you to Texecom manual.

Archived