Security Installer Community

New I-on 16 With Error Codes.

Hi there,

Just had a new Scantronic i-on 16 installed and have a few issues with it. The installers are great, but as it's the bank holiday weekend I thought I'd ask a couple of questions myself.

It has a smoke detector installed as zone 11 and every now and again I get the error message:

Supervisor fail Z11 and then Supervisor restore Z11.

This means I can't set the alarm. We've tried replacing the smoke and moving it from it's original Z10 to Z11 and I still ge the problem.

The other issue I see is an error message in the logs that says:

U00 Off-Site.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Roy.

sounds like resistor problem. call them back they should come back and fix it for free.

ehee sry its wireless

there is no resistors

might be signal problem or battery then

how did u managed to move it from Z10 to Z11 i think u need a engineer code for that and then delete it from z10 and then add to z11!! dont mess with that or they might say that its your fault.

sounds like resistor problem. call them back they should come back and fix it for free.

ehee sry its wireless

there is no resistors

might be signal problem or battery then

how did u managed to move it from Z10 to Z11 i think u need a engineer code for that and then delete it from z10 and then add to z11!! dont mess with that or they might say that its your fault.

I would hazard a guess to say signal strength ! Did they do a signal strength TEST ?

Bet if you move it a bit it would clear the fault. Moving this device would be best done by the company Not you.

U00 of site would be engineer off site, they have left engineering mode.

I must admit never fitted an Ion but it signal !

cheers

I would hazard a guess to say signal strength ! Did they do a signal strength TEST ?

Bet if you move it a bit it would clear the fault. Moving this device would be best done by the company Not you.

U00 of site would be engineer off site, they have left engineering mode.

I must admit never fitted an Ion but it signal !

cheers

The smoke is approx. 8 feet from the panel itself in the downstairs hall. I may move it to upstairs.

I did have to enter installer mode to move it to Z11, but as it was Friday night before the long weekend, they talked me through this procedure. I am a consulting engineer for Cisco, so am relatively technical, but don't mess with stuff I shouldn't be.

Strange, as all the other detectors are fine.

Roy.

As above, 00 in log means you have left engineering mode.

Try turning smoke upright ie as if mounted on wall so aerials (rx & tx) are in same plane, resiting also worth trying in case smoke fitted close to mains cables under floor.

You can check signal strenght as you have eng code. Anything above 4 will be fine, would expect 9 as only 8 metres away. Regardless of sig strenght, mains interference will cause issues.

It's on the ceiling on the ground floor, so no water tank close. There will be power cables in the ceiling for lighting, so could be close to this. I think tomorrow I'll add the detector back in and then move it upstairs and leave it lying on a bed for a while and see if it stays connected ok.

Roy.

Roy,

The I-on is a good panel and you should not be adding zones etc as ou have paid good money for the system to be installed.

Get the installer back to sort out the problem asap!

Yes, I've got a great installer and they are coming back to fix it. Very happy with the i-on 16 panel.

Just trying to see if there were some simple suggestions I could look at myself over the bank holiday.

Roy.

Yes, I've got a great installer and they are coming back to fix it. Very happy with the i-on 16 panel.

Just trying to see if there were some simple suggestions I could look at myself over the bank holiday.

Roy.

I hate to point this out, but any 'good' installer is available 24/7, that's one of the reasons you pay a service contract.

From another angle I will also say that you should not be 'playing' with the system in the way you describe, it's the responsibility of the installer to get this right, not you.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Just want to be clear, I don't 'play' with my alarm, I pay a professional firm to install and set this up for me. All I have done is to delete what looks like a faulty smoke out of the system. I don't mess around with anything else.

my installer is great and I'm sure we'll get it all sorted tomorrow.

Roy

I'm sure they are & you will be fine.

I guess the point we're making is that the eng code protects (pinch of salt) the firm from legal action by your insurers in the event of a break in etc. Your insurers may payout to you, then look for recourse through your installer.

Guest RJBsec
Just want to be clear, I don't 'play' with my alarm, I pay a professional firm to install and set this up for me. All I have done is to delete what looks like a faulty smoke out of the system. I don't mess around with anything else.

Roy

"professional" and "great" are clearly relative terms.

You should not be left in a position where you are accessing engineering features - especially just because your installer cannot/will not/doesn't see the need to return over a holiday period.

Without completely re-programming the system he cannot possibly be sure that anything has not been compromised by you actions.

Guest old-hand

Roy

Professional and giving the end user the engineering code in the same sentence......................

Just made my weekend pmsl

Why did you go for wireless ?

The choice was between something like a 9651 with a hybrid on it, or go full wireless on the i-on 16. It basically came down to the physical positioning of the detectors required, the quantity of them and the fact that all the existing system was wired to useless positions.

The house is 20 years old and has a very shallow sub-floor, so difficult for access. The i-on 16 looked like a good panel and the wireless on it looks very good as well. There were trade-offs on either panel, but in the end we opted for the i-on. I'm sure the other would have been just as good an option.

Roy.

Professional and giving the end user the engineering code in the same sentence......................

Just made my weekend pmsl

I think that is a completely an unfair comment.

I do not mess around with things I shouldn't, including my alarm system. I deleted a smoke that was faulty out of the config and exited, not hard to do, nor could I break anything in the process...

As I said earlier, I am a consulting engineer and understand the implications of what I am doing, ie. I don't play around with my alarm.

I think I've said all I need to on the matter.

Roy.

don't think it's unfair at all.

you understand the liability for fit for purpose and the insurance restrictions in place?

you may be a NASA scientist but your not insured, qualified or 1st hand responsible.

the clues in the code name as to who should have it, who should use it and you've invalidated al liability for the system and it's components.

TBH the fact you've paid for a system and are posting for help over a bank holiday weekend speaks volumes.

So much for industry standards such as dedicated 24/7 4hr response enforced by tha NSI & SSAIB when your left to google fix it on a DIY basis.

Think I've said enough on the whole matter TBH.

Guest old-hand
I think that is a completely an unfair comment.

I do not mess around with things I shouldn't, including my alarm system. I deleted a smoke that was faulty out of the config and exited, not hard to do, nor could I break anything in the process...

As I said earlier, I am a consulting engineer and understand the implications of what I am doing, ie. I don't play around with my alarm.

I think I've said all I need to on the matter.

Roy.

You have by your own admission played with a system that is apparently signed off as working.

Your own words are " the thing is faulty", care to quantify that statement as a consulting engineer? As you obviously consult on these items all the time, as an consulting engineer.

~You state you do not play with things you do not understand, yet have "deleted" a detection device, one that could save your life. You also say you understand the implications of this.

I bet if you had a fire( and touch wood you do not) you would be the first to try and sue your company.

Personally they deserve it if they gave you the code so you can F@@k up an apparently professional installation.

Bottom line is its wrong, so wrong it makes me sick.

roy, dont misunderstand us here.

It sounds like you have a system installed by a mate, due to the fact that you cant get service, you have the engineer code, and are deleting things yourself, is not something a pro installer should do.

The easist and best way to think about it, is to have the ability to reprogram you car ecu, and only change the headligh settings. While your in there you chnage the airbag info etc. YOu didnt realise so dont think it was you, but your car probably wont work as it should in an accident.

You get injured etc.... you want to sue the garage who serviced it last and or the manafacturer.

If it was a proper pro system then you would have got service over any shutdown period, and they would be removing things not you.

Hopefully you see the point.

IF you have a DIY system (which you do from what you have said) then doing what your doing is fine.

THis is why insurance companies and regulations insist on certain things.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I'm guessing that no-one here bothered listening to what I said, so I'll repeat...

No this is not mates rates, the system is newly installed and in the process of being commisioned, I deleted a single smoke out of the config. , I don't play around with my alarm and there is no way this would invalidated any warranty eetc.

Now, if anyone has some constructive advice on the supervisor fault on the smoke then I will take that advice and discuss it with my installer.

Roy

I'm guessing that no-one here bothered listening to what I said, so I'll repeat...

No this is not mates rates, the system is newly installed and in the process of being commisioned, I deleted a single smoke out of the config. , I don't play around with my alarm and there is no way this would invalidated any warranty eetc.

Now, if anyone has some constructive advice on the supervisor fault on the smoke then I will take that advice and discuss it with my installer.

Roy

Well, i tried to be neutral, that'll teach me.

And why do i think you'll be waiting a long time for a reply to your question.

Right, back to fannying about with my Cisco network.

Roy

Roy your banging your lone drum against a wave of experience & opinion.

Ref the underlined - Ask them if their inspectorate & insurance company are happy for them to share engineering codes and engineering of panels with customers for DIY use & why they think it acceptable to leave a faulty system down for 72hrs+.

These are HUGE issues you seem to have no grasp of yet feel it acceptable to question our questioning of the same.

Your finding no favour with your replies so best call an end IMO.

Good luck with your new unworking system your installer has left you with and your own effort to fix it whilst awaiting their return.

C.

Archived