Security Installer Community

Master And Slave Implications

brizee

just a quick question, while changing round my phone sockets, i've trodden on the master totally destroying it. as a temporary measure i connected up a slave to see if it would would work. All works fine and i'm gonna replace it today.

Am i right in thinking that the slave is lacking the capacitor? and what are the potential problems of this, I know its not right but why?

without the master there will be nothing generating a ring signal (ie wire 3) so some phones wont ring. But they will dial ok.

Some modern phones do not require the ringer to be connected (term 3), but this should still be connected. The large yellow capacitor blocks the DC line current, and allows the AC ring current to pass when the phone line is ringing. It is called a "DC blocking capacitor).

The master socket will also have a surge arrestor and a resistor to facilitate line testing.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

On fringe lines where the line is too long, or is using old alu cables etc, then you can increase speed (or even then be able to connect!) by disconnecting the ringer if you have extension wiring in your home.

There is a new Iplate filter which filters the ringer wiring and prevents you from having to disconnect the ringer. You cannot fit the Iplate with a faceplate filter though. Modern NTE5a's (last 9months or so) will have the I plate built into the back of the NTE (small cylinder approx 10mm dia showing on the rear).

Disconnecting the ringer is a last resort. However, microfilters do provide their own ring capacitor do produce ring current for connected devices.

I have been to many sites where disconnecting the ringer actually enables a connection to be established.

yeap remove wire 3 ring on bb as some filters dont block it so it lets the high frequncy adsl bounce around, some adsl filters have there own ring cap in them after filter, i took mine off my alarm filter and then fitted master after for other sockets, adsl taken before alarm filter no ring wire before alarm, tryed it with ring wire all the way and when phone pluged in bb droped so defantly true and speed barely got above 1meg removed and fitted master after filter how 7meg so defantly good pount use cheep tesco phone for test, newer phones dont use ring wire

cheack wires are ok, then also plug phone in and out :whistle:, i know this nakers bb as i spent a night online figering out why it did, i had done every thing right in line wiring sence but it dident work then rewired as above with out wire 3 works fine luckly house is being rewired at the mo fitting my alarm and phone pounts all hidden :)

I'm trying to get my head around this, why would dropping the ring wire increase BB speed?

All I can come up with is the ring wire picking up RFI in the house and dumping some of it back to the line through the cap in the master socket....

Possibly time to start wiring domestic phones in cat 5 UTP?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

All I can come up with is the ring wire picking up RFI in the house and dumping some of it back to the line through the cap in the master socket....

Apparently that is exactly the reason!!!-from various sources-including the BT engineer who suggested I did it !!! cos I was getting no joy from BT direct-well a call centre in some foreign place!.

The line is balanced right up to the NTE, and then you unbalance it by introducing a single ring wire connected to one side of the line.

It only makes a real difference on fringe lines.

I live in a four year old house that's approx 2.5 miles from the exchange-BUT being new it's got five BT points in various rooms-maybe the wiring is picking up more induced because of that?-maybe the sparky ran em all next to other stuff?-I don't know.

All I do know is even connecting router directly to master I was only getting around 2.5 meg downstream and connected to a slave in the living room that dropped to about 1.5-2.0, after dissing the 'ring wire' at the master the speed increased to between 3.5 and 4.5 meg......................So I'm happier!!!!.................

I live in a four year old house that's approx 2.5 miles from the exchange-BUT being new it's got five BT points in various rooms-maybe the wiring is picking up more induced because of that?-maybe the sparky ran em all next to other stuff?-I don't know.

All I do know is even connecting router directly to master I was only getting around 2.5 meg downstream and connected to a slave in the living room that dropped to about 1.5-2.0, after dissing the 'ring wire' at the master the speed increased to between 3.5 and 4.5 meg......................So I'm happier!!!!.................

Removing the ring wire should make a great difference on ADSL, especially if there are a few extensions as it acts as an attenna and picks up AM interferance. The only phones that require it are ones with no logic, I.e. the old phones with bells for ringers.

basicly just see adsl nation or link above but basicly dont include ring wire before adsl filter then after it will be fine but most filters have ring gen in them anyways, so only need a+b at each socket see adsl nation as this has most filters listed including alarm hard wired units with user ratings.

Archived