Security Installer Community

Texecom Remote Speech & Text Dialler

mlcinfl

Hi there,

I have just finished installing a new system using a Texecom Premier 48 panel, Texecom PIR's, keypad and remote speech/text dialer in my home. I have been in the building/electrical trade for over 30 years but this is the first alarm I have installed for around 15 years and boy how things have changed. As I have loads of time and very little money at the moment you will hopefully understand why I have gone down the DIY route.

Anyway, after 4 days and endless hours of reading manuals (and thanks to this website) I am so chuffed to say that all is well and everything works as it should......except the text dialler. The speech dialler is fine and sends my mobile my recorded message if the alarm is activated or tested, but the text SMS side is unable to connect.

I read in the manual that the default setting is O2 SMS (07860980480) so I thought that this would be the problem. I use Orange, so I checked on their website and the SMS number is 07973100973. I entered the new SMS number into the dialler but it is still unable to connect. Do I have to change the protocols? If so does anyone know the protocols for Orange and how do I change them?

Also, the manual calls for an earth connection to the telephone connector block in the dialler. I have hard-wired the dialler into the telephone master socket, so obviously there is no earth there. I took a spare wire from my 8-core alarm cable and wired it back to the panel earth, is this acceptable?

Thanks in anticipation,

Paul.

Do you have ADSL broadband?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

On a COM 2400 on a Premier 48 I have noted that the SMS centre numbers that are in the panel by default are not the ones shown in the manual - presumably Texecom in their infinite wisdom have changed this for a reason - I think I have read elsewhere in the forums something about Orange not working for this type of thing see if you can get it to go back to its original default number - you have set the (presumably Texecom) dialler to text as well as speech haven't you?

You do not need to pay BT to send SMS text out of a phone line as it is just analouge modem data being sent to a SMS Service centre who then turn it into an SMS and fire it at the correct number.

If you have ADSL you should have a filter as I guess you have tapped into A&B in the back of line box so are upstream of any other ADSL filters you have fitted - on the other hand the ADSL signal would stop at the exchange DSLAM/filter/splitter point where your phone line is split back into analogue voice signals and digital network data so in theory your ADSL interference could go no further to the SMS service centre so theoretically you would not need a filter unless the ADSL interference is stopping the dialler modem sending the text data as it keeps trying to listen for a clear line and is not starting sending its text message data as it does not think the line is clear?

Unplug your ADSL modem then try again to see if it works on line with inactive ADSL service.

The earth sounds fine.

I personally would have gone for a COM2400 instead of a speech text dialler - costs less and tells you exactly which zone has activated - I know from experience that it is generally less than 30 seconds from the event to receiving the text message - but if it were my house and going for this type of comms. I would use a probably dialler as well but give priority to COM2400.

As stated above, the line needs filtering, and return the message centre number to the original.

I have had a problem once where I had to increase the modem level (instructions not in either manual) as instructed by Texecom tech support (I cant remember how to get to the menu) so best if you give them a call if the filter doesn't help.

breff I am interested in the fault you had that needed you to increase the modem level (do you mean in a Texecom speech / text dialler or a COM2400?) - could you expand on that point in the forum or send me a PM about it.

It was on a speech and text dialler, ask Tech Support.

Guest old-hand
As stated above, the line needs filtering, and return the message centre number to the original.

I have had a problem once where I had to increase the modem level (instructions not in either manual) as instructed by Texecom tech support (I cant remember how to get to the menu) so best if you give them a call if the filter doesn't help.

Not always needed to be filtered IMO.

Message centre can be anyones T-Mobile is the most reliable IMHO.

Or use a hardwired filter situated adjacent to existing BT point !!. :whistle:

Good point, thanks.

I already have a plug-in filter and spare extension box so I'll drop that in under the floor close to the dialler.

Hope this does the trick.

It's taken a few days to get around to but I've installed the DSL filter.

Guess what? Still refuses to send text messages. I get the modem noise but after around 30 secs it tells me that the message could not be sent.

I guess I'll start from scratch and set up the unit again and see what happens.

• 1 month later...
It's taken a few days to get around to but I've installed the DSL filter.

Guess what? Still refuses to send text messages. I get the modem noise but after around 30 secs it tells me that the message could not be sent.

I guess I'll start from scratch and set up the unit again and see what happens.

Hi mlcinfl

I have the same problem. Did you manage to resolve it?

I have filters installed but still have the problem.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks

I have done all the recommendations listed. No change when Dsl filter was fitted. Tried numerous sms centre nos. Conclusion sms is unreliable and works on odd occasion only. landline supports sms no problem when I run tests. Anyone got further details on raising the modem volume on Texecom voice dialler with sms? Did hat work for you?

I cant remember how to adjust modem level, it is a menu accessible only after power up IIRC, I would have to call Tech Support myself to be reminded.

I assume you have a router for you're ADSL so your broadband is 'always on'.

Try downpowering the router and see if the sms works then, if it does then modem levels may be your answer but you will have to call Texecom tech Support

Are you texting to a landline? If so try calling 08005875252 from the landline to see if sms is setup (and between what times) as default is normally "morning to early evening".

Have you tried phoning BT to ask if Text is enabled on the outgoing line?

Is there noise on the telephone point thats after the filter? Faulty DSL filter?

Does disconnecting all the other phone equipment make a difference?

What other phone equipment is on the line?

SMS numbers are normally:- 07860 980480 (o2) or 07785 499993 (Voda) on Texecom stuff this is for 8N1 data protocol.

Check the option: Config > Dialling Options > Use 7E1 Data. is disabled (*) thus sending data as 8N1.

For modem level I would speak to technical first, but it's something like in Disabled press < then X.

Only tried this at one site. Plugged a COM2400 on to the panel which worked better, for some reason?

I fitted 2 com2400's last week, used sms with default settings, tested them loads due to posts on here.

Had no problems at all.

Think any issues with the sms number have been sorted.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived