Security Installer Community

Fire Alarm Interfering With Internal Phones!

sparky999

Anyone come across this problem at all. I am commissioning a new fire alarm system in a hospital. When the fire alarm is activated the staff are unable to use the telephone it seems to lose one of the digits when dailing any internal phone. Does not happen in any other building except the new one. I understand from the trust phone engineer that in the new building cat 5 cables were used.

Any thoughts on this problem. The fire alarm sounders are electronic on an addressable system.

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

Anyone come across this problem at all. I am commissioning a new fire alarm system in a hospital. When the fire alarm is activated the staff are unable to use the telephone it seems to lose one of the digits when dailing any internal phone. Does not happen in any other building except the new one. I understand from the trust phone engineer that in the new building cat 5 cables were used.

Any thoughts on this problem. The fire alarm sounders are electronic on an addressable system.

does the fire alarm use the internal network to flag up on the hospital control room,or signal on redcare etc..or both

All phones suffer this problem or just some?

As James said tone dialling phones can go wrong with a fire alarm going off close by but if it's 'all' the phones it's something getting into the phone wiring.

I would go with sound interference.

It is a BS requirement that the fire alarm doesn't stop you making an emergency call out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

All phones suffer this problem or just some?

As James said tone dialling phones can go wrong with a fire alarm going off close by but if it's 'all' the phones it's something getting into the phone wiring.

I would go with sound interference.

It is a BS requirement that the fire alarm doesn't stop you making an emergency call out.

It seems to be most phones in the new building but doesn`t affect any phones in the other buildings. The fire alarm is the same in the other buildings and fully networked to the new building all with the same sounders.

Was told the phones are wired in cat5 in the new build whether that makes any difference?

Pete

P.S. the fire alarm is networked to the switchboard room on it`s on system separate from all other systems

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

It seems to be most phones in the new building but doesn`t affect any phones in the other buildings. The fire alarm is the same in the other buildings and fully networked to the new building all with the same sounders.

Was told the phones are wired in cat5 in the new build whether that makes any difference?

Pete

P.S. the fire alarm is networked to the switchboard room on it`s on system separate from all other systems

New phones in a new building?

Possibly the newer phones are more prone to this problem?

Has the loop got a complete earth path?

I can't think of anything else.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

Pete

seems a similar setup to the hospitals ive worked at where alarm signals take priority,may be a network thing inhibiting calls till the alarm signal has been accepted,id speak to the guy responsible for the internal network..

seems a similar setup to the hospitals ive worked at where alarm signals take priority,may be a network thing inhibiting calls till the alarm signal has been accepted,id speak to the guy responsible for the internal network..

The fire alarm network is dedicated. Panel to panel in a loop, normally in shielded fire proof cable.

My Amateur Radio Forum

I always look for a simple answer first, before getting all techie......but then I dont do fire !

Does muting the handset, or even just putting your thumb over the mouthpiece make a difference ?

Or is that too simple an answer ??? :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived