Security Installer Community

Testing Bell Box Battery

paulrichards

Just put in this new panel + new PIRs with the existing bell box. Now if the bell box battery is screwed then I really need to replace the bell box too.

hi paul,

having swapped out all the other bits for new on your alarm system, why did not change the one thing that will alert others of an intruder?

bit like pimping your car - but retaining the old 5 1/2 J wheels imo.

so replace the siren and that way at least, you know its got a new battery, and has been better designed to keep you clear of the noise pollution act if you get a fault.

if you then want to test the siren battery, remove the + feed to the siren at the control unit (marked + BELL).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didnt replace the siren because it means ladders and drilling outside which is a pain, however I see your point.

So if I remove +BELL will that force the it use the battery onboard the bell box ???

Yes it will.

In answer to your previous question some sounders when used with some panles allow you to run a routine which tempoarily disables the sounder so you can work on it. I don't think that is a feature of your panel though. (though I may be wrong)

Most new sounders have some means of disabling the sounder from the actual box so you can work on it without it sounding continuously but the method is different with different makes of sounder.

If you buy a sounder the instructions will explain it quite well.

Any Texecom, Gardiner Tech, CQR etc sounder will work with your panel.

I didnt replace the siren because it means ladders and drilling outside which is a pain, however I see your point.

So if I remove +BELL will that force the it use the battery onboard the bell box ???

if it don't, then also remove the '- hold off'.

regs

alan

just did this:

- put it engineer mode

- took cover off control panel

- removed +bell (red wire) labelled "D" on the control panel

- took panel out of engineer mode (dont think I needed to do this) and held tamper microswitch down

nothing, no siren, completely silent

will try with -hold off too

now just done this:

- into engineer mode

- removed panel

- removed BELL+ (red wire) labelled "D" on the control panel

- removed -VE (black wire) labelled "A" on the control panel, which the manual says is wired to HOLD OFF- in the bell box

nothing, no sound nothing, I did keep the panel in engineer mode but I guess if the battery in the bell box is good then it shouldnt matter.

I have also redone an alarm test with everything back together, and the bell box works with the power back on so its not like its died in the last few days.

So I guess the battery in the bellbox is screwed ??

Paul

hi paul,

your over complicating the issue, its a very simple concept so lets step back a bit.

all you need to remmember is the siren needs voltage to charge the battery, and also 'know' the controls have not been ripped of the wall or the power turned off. so removing the voltage (as though the panel has been detroyed) the siren should sound.

if it don't, then you need to look at the siren wiring in the panel 1st, then the siren, then the siren battery, after that if needed then replace the siren - in that order.

i this is beyond you, tbh with all due respect, you need to seek a trained engineers help,as the time i've spent typng help, i could have fitted five sirens.

regs

alan

just did this:

- put it engineer mode

- took cover off control panel

- removed +bell (red wire) labelled "D" on the control panel

- took panel out of engineer mode (dont think I needed to do this) and held tamper microswitch down

nothing, no siren, completely silent

will try with -hold off too

now just done this:

- into engineer mode

- removed panel

- removed BELL+ (red wire) labelled "D" on the control panel

- removed -VE (black wire) labelled "A" on the control panel, which the manual says is wired to HOLD OFF- in the bell box

nothing, no sound nothing, I did keep the panel in engineer mode but I guess if the battery in the bell box is good then it shouldnt matter.

I have also redone an alarm test with everything back together, and the bell box works with the power back on so its not like its died in the last few days.

So I guess the battery in the bellbox is screwed ??

Paul

Yes it is fair to assume that the battery is screwed or possibly disconnected or there may even not be a battery fitted.

The siren works when you trigger the alarm, it doesn't when you remove hold offs.

Either re connect the battery in the external sounder, replace the battery or replace the sounder.

Thank you for your help, I am new to alarm systems, though have plenty of wiring and electronics experience (actually part of my trade believe it or not). So its merely a matter of understanding what is wired to what and what triggers what etc and finding a suitable quick test to fully test the system making sure it works correctly.

The alarm tests from the panel work, ie siren/strobe so I can only assume its wired correctly. I disconnected the power as above and the alarm did not sound therefore I am assuming my battery and therefore bell box needs replacing.

Archived