Security Installer Community

Networking Dvrs

alarmman62

can anyone help me solve a problem

i have recently installed a network dvr i am using a net gear modem/router pc and dvr i know that it has something to do with the ip addreses but im having dificulty in getting it right i can ping the dvr from the pc via the cross over cable but i cant access it over the internet using the client software

would realy appreciate some help

thanks

once you have a basic understanding of IP and how the internat works then no.

a poster on here wrote a basic guide 'for dummies' type thing. Its not 100% accurate but will work in most circumstances. At least you have a decent brand of router.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

i was helped out by another member, to whom i am eternally greatful.

i found it very confussing but once enlightenned with that superb help, i finally sussed it out it. well worth the effort and works very well on a System Q Aliene DVR.

1st off set your dvr to match your routers ip but make the last 2 digits say 68, so

192.168.1.68 as an example, the enboldened numbers must match your router/gateway.

in your dvr set the gateway IP to the routers IP exactly, do this from the dvr network setup.

now get to access to your DVR locally via the router from your computer so at least you know its all 'talking' on the local network

now follow this link

http://www.dyndns.com/

this service is free, go set up your free domain name account and service. your router will have a setting for this service somewhere and you need to insert the info into it.

after that the DynDNS server is updated automatically by the router any time your dynamic ip is changed, bit like the 'go to mypc.com' works.

also google port forwarding (also known as port triggering) for more detailed info.

a lazier way is to put your DVR's IP address into the routers DMZ (De Militerized Zone), which basicaly means the routers firewall will not protect your DVRs IP from hackers etc, you now rely on the DVRs own log on and password for protection, so make it tricky to guess using non english words and %_$ charecters in the user name etc.

not sure on your one, but many DVRs have an embedded OS, so not really an issue of possible damage even if they do intrude and mess up the settings imo.

bigest thing i did not realise was not having the first three sets of ip address numbers the same as the router, which in this context is called the gateway

hope that helps - be prepared to be vexed as one setting out and nothing works.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i was helped out by another member, to whom i am eternally greatful.

i found it very confussing but once enlightenned with that superb help, i finally sussed it out it. well worth the effort and works very well on a System Q Aliene DVR.

1st off set your dvr to match your routers ip but make the last 2 digits say 68, so

192.168.1.68 as an example, the enboldened numbers must match your router/gateway.

in your dvr set the gateway IP to the routers IP exactly, do this from the dvr network setup.

now get to access to your DVR locally via the router from your computer so at least you know its all 'talking' on the local network

now follow this link

http://www.dyndns.com/

this service is free, go set up your free domain name account and service. your router will have a setting for this service somewhere and you need to insert the info into it.

after that the DynDNS server is updated automatically by the router any time your dynamic ip is changed, bit like the 'go to mypc.com' works.

also google port forwarding (also known as port triggering) for more detailed info.

a lazier way is to put your DVR's IP address into the routers DMZ (De Militerized Zone), which basicaly means the routers firewall will not protect your DVRs IP from hackers etc, you now rely on the DVRs own log on and password for protection, so make it tricky to guess using non english words and %_$ charecters in the user name etc.

not sure on your one, but many DVRs have an embedded OS, so not really an issue of possible damage even if they do intrude and mess up the settings imo.

bigest thing i did not realise was not having the first three sets of ip address numbers the same as the router, which in this context is called the gateway

hope that helps - be prepared to be vexed as one setting out and nothing works.

regs

alan

alan i did the system q course but need iiiiimput lol

Here is a guide for setting up a DM machine with a Netgear router, it will give you an idea, the port numbers will be different for your DVR though

Netgear_ADSL_Setup_Guide_v1.5.pdf

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

alan i did the system q course but need iiiiimput lol

i looked into going on their course, but its approximately a 3 1/2 hour run according to TT6, that means an over night then travel back, and i just don't have the time to spare.

as your asking questions, was the course any good? although they state the don't support dynamic ip and only one brand of router, to his credit Dave on the tech help desk helped out over the phone with the settings, even remoted into my router (safecom) to check those settings, so a very big 'up' to him and SQ from me.

don't forget to change the pasword on your router, and disable remote admin.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

thanks guys but i was on the course and i just find it hard to do pc stuff we drove from scotland after doing one course then onto another one the next day so got confused with the technical issues was looking for some one to give me a hands on experiance so that i can watch it being done instead of being told how it is done

i looked into going on their course, but its approximately a 3 1/2 hour run according to TT6, that means an over night then travel back, and i just don't have the time to spare.

as your asking questions, was the course any good? although they state the don't support dynamic ip and only one brand of router, to his credit Dave on the tech help desk helped out over the phone with the settings, even remoted into my router (safecom) to check those settings, so a very big 'up' to him and SQ from me.

don't forget to change the pasword on your router, and disable remote admin.

regs

alan

it was a good course i just had a lot to contend with all the travelling and so on but yes dave is a good bloke so is all the staff at sq but i will take on board your comments

regards

andy

amb alarms

Archived